Please post your favourite 470 NE loads ..

Norma brass
500 grn Woodleigh RNSN
Federal LRM Primers
95.5 grns of RL17
1.5 grns of open cell foam as a filler
Put it right at 2150fps out of 24" barrels on a Merkel double I owned and was also the most accurate load I worked up.

I think this powder is discontinued
Guess it is a good thing I’ve got enough to never run out. Kinda like comfortable underwear, better stock up because if you like something they will change it or quit making it.

Reloder 15 between 89 and 91 grains with a one inch thick foam wad on top.
I have shot it with solids and softs, monolithics and lead core and different lots of powder. It always would regulate in that range.

Federal 215 primer, Federal/Hornady brass..90 grains of N150, gives moderate recoil and some 2140fps in my K-gun. Tried 105 grains of N160...much more recoil and no gain in velocity..

Guess it is a good thing I’ve got enough to never run out. Kinda like comfortable underwear, better stock up because if you like something they will change it or quit making it.
Yes, I hear you, I'm learning the trade. I see you are in Houston, which part of the town do you live in? I'm in the Spring area.

Federal 215 primer, Federal/Hornady brass..90 grains of N150, gives moderate recoil and some 2140fps in my K-gun. Tried 105 grains of N160...much more recoil and no gain in velocity..
I believe Woodleigh manual recommends the N160 Loads

Yes, I hear you, I'm learning the trade. I see you are in Houston, which part of the town do you live in? I'm in the Spring area.
I finally escaped to more easily defendable mountainous terrain and clean air. I did reside out east of Houston in the swamps of Anahuac. It was not a bad place, just dealing with working in Houston was hard on my liver!

I know it depends on how much you shoot, but in general what would you consider a lifetime supply for brass and powder

I know it depends on how much you shoot, but in general what would you consider a lifetime supply for brass and powder
I have approx 350-400 pcs of brass. If you average 7 shots on your brass you could get close to 3K rounds. That's a lot of double rifle shooting. At give or take 110grains of powder per round that is about 60 rounds/lb so 420 rounds per 8lb jug of powder.
350 pieces of brass
7× 8lb jugs of appropriate powder
3 bricks of fed 215 Large magnum primers
3000 of your preferred projectiles
That should set one up nicely with a permanent supply I would think. Even if you shoot 150 rounds per year that would be 20 years worth.

Great Info, that's a ton of supplies, but again we are talking of a lifetime supply, I have a long way to go once I have worked up my favorite load

Great Info, that's a ton of supplies, but again we are talking of a lifetime supply, I have a long way to go once I have worked up my favorite load
If I haven't learned anything else in the reloading game, I have definitely learned this stuff never gets any cheaper. Get what you can when you can. It never goes bad if.you take care of it.

This load worked for me.
F28AC3AE-0C10-40C8-9B0E-2C47A460C3A4.jpeg

Attachments

• D201AF75-EC80-4904-AEA5-7375C976C72F.jpeg
    D201AF75-EC80-4904-AEA5-7375C976C72F.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 39
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna give that load a try again. I have about 600 of those barnes TSX and a BUNCH of H1000. I will load some of those up and run them by the chronograph again. If that load will work in my rifle that will be a huge bonus!

Agreed, I'm also learning quickly.
If I haven't learned anything else in the reloading game, I have definitely learned this stuff never gets any cheaper. Get what you can when you can. It never goes bad if.you take care of it.Yes,

In the 470 NE my lifetime supply equates to
500- Brass
35# -7977
If I run through that in the next 20 years it would truly surprise me. You get 59 loads from a pound. Don’t get me wrong, I still buy components if I see them at a fair price, but that mainly is because I am addicted to reloading supplies! I saw some 7977 the other day but wasn’t paying 68 bucks a pound for it.

In the 470 NE my lifetime supply equates to
500- Brass
35# -7977
If I run through that in the next 20 years it would truly surprise me. You get 59 loads from a pound. Don’t get me wrong, I still buy components if I see them at a fair price, but that mainly is because I am addicted to reloading supplies! I saw some 7977 the other day but wasn’t paying 68 bucks a pound for it.
I'm sure you built up your collection over period of time..

Do you think the 1900's is generating enough energy, enough to open and get sufficient penetration?
Yes, expand and penetrate, long and straight, as advertised. I'm loading just over 1950. Barnes’ min/max for the TSX is ̴ 1750-2050. My double regulated best a little off max. The TSXs seem to load and penetrate like a 10-15% heavier lead-core (ie about like a 550-575 lead-core) – I think the former due to the longer shank but then the latter due to virtually no weight loss and lesser frontal surface area of the petals... and those petals are pretty sharp. I haven't recovered many, but the following was from a buff face-on at 65 yds – virtually full weight retention.

20221227_140559.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, expand and penetrate, long and straight, as advertised. I'm loading just over 1950. Barnes’ min/max for the TSX is ̴ 1750-2050. My double regulated best a little off max. The TSXs seem to load and penetrate like a 10-15% heavier lead-core (ie about like a 550-575 lead-core) – I think the former due to the longer shank but then the latter due to virtually no weight loss and lesser frontal surface area of the petals... and those petals are pretty sharp. I haven't recovered many, but the following was from a buff face-on at 65 yds – virtually full weight retention.
That is good news, because I have a pile of those TSX, like 600 of them, and a bunch of H1000. I will have to do a little work on them and see how they regulate in my rifle. I have fired a few of them and they did show really good potential. I just assumed 1900fps would be to slow. I will definitely give them a try and see if I can work up a good load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brookbeans941

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!