Planning my first safari to Africa

Lead

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
My father and I are trying to plan a trip to Africa for 2023-2024, and we are trying to decide where to go and what to get. I was thinking of a springbok or blue, but I am wondering how a lesser kudu or zebra will go down. I will be using Wetherby Mark V in 243. Any recommendations help.

Thanks,
John

First off get a larger caliber

That 243 will be fine for the smaller plains game up to impala but it will be lacking for anything larger such as kudu.

Other than that look at the sponsors on here and see what they offer for package hunts. By the time that you pay for the day rates and trophy fees you will find that a package deal is the way to go.

I was thinking of a springbok or blue, but I am wondering how a lesser kudu or zebra will go down

I am guessing you already decided the country you will go to?
Tanzania?
For Zebra (400 kg), I would suggest a caliber with z little bit more punch.

Your profile says you are only 14 now? You will move into a larger rifle in 3 years, you should really be planning a 30 caliber (308, 30-06, 300, etc) not a 243. Look into plains game hunts in central Namibia and South Africa for your first safari. Lots of hunt reports here to look at and outfitter websites and price lists to get an idea of what species are available in those areas.

Your profile says you are only 14 now? You will move into a larger rifle in 3 years, you should really be planning a 30 caliber (308, 30-06, 300, etc) not a 243. Look into plains game hunts in central Namibia and South Africa for your first safari. Lots of hunt reports here to look at and outfitter websites and price lists to get an idea of what species are available in those areas.
Thanks, I should have said 308 or 30-06. I am already starting to move ahead.

Y

Yeah, Tanzania is the country we are most likely going to.
How much African experience does your dad already have? Very few people consider Tanzania for a first safari, although I’m sure it would make a great first safari to those who are willing to spend the money. There are no springbok there.

How much African experience does your dad already have? Very few people consider Tanzania for a first safari, although I’m sure it would make a great first safari to those who are willing to spend the money. There are no springbok there.
That was the second safari my dad went on. He did not get a springbok there, but he did get others. He also just got back from a Leopard hunt there. Our second choice would be Namibia. That was the first place he went. But I think he enjoys the hunts and experiences in Tanzania more.

I would recommend going somewhere in the Limpopo province of South Africa for your first safari. There are many different animals to choose from. I always suggest going with a budget and then just see what opportunities present themselves.

Your 243 will be fine as long as you don’t take shots that are too far and you have good shot placement. If you can move up to a larger caliber it might not be a bad idea, but the most important thing above all is that you put the bullet in the right place.

I think your hunt has been decided for you. You’ll be very lucky to get to hunt in Tanzania.

If you’d like to look into a truly wild area in Namibia, look into Kaokoland. I’m guessing your dad liked the wilderness aspect of Tanzania.

I would recommend going somewhere in the Limpopo province of South Africa for your first safari. There are many different animals to choose from. I always suggest going with a budget and then just see what opportunities present themselves.

Your 243 will be fine as long as you don’t take shots that are too far and you have good shot placement. If you can move up to a larger caliber it might not be a bad idea, but the most important thing above all is that you put the bullet in the right place.
Thanks, I am thinking about moving up to 308.

South Africa was also a choice we were thinking of. Thanks

I think your hunt has been decided for you. You’ll be very lucky to get to hunt in Tanzania.

If you’d like to look into a truly wild area in Namibia, look into Kaokoland. I’m guessing your dad liked the wilderness aspect of Tanzania.
Yes, he loves Tanzania and South Africa the most I would say.

Thanks!

Yeah, Tanzania is the country we are most likely going to.

Then, I am sure you will reconsider the caliber of the choice with your dad. They already suggested 30-06.

Tanzania is special place, and for unique species to hunt of plains game I would suggest following: Grant gazzelle, thomson gazzele, lesser kudu, gerenuk, maybe a fringed eared oryx.

And one more thing. There is a great documentary movie about a kid and double rifle and hunt in Tanzania. I beleive you will enjoy it. I watched it with my son when he went on his safari with me, same age as you now.

+1 for Kaokoland in Namibia. Very big and very wild. Check with @Jamy Traut Hunting Safaris

I’d say .30-06, the ammo is more common. The more you practice now, the better your hunt will be. But you don’t need to buy the rifle now, just shoot that .243 as much as you can. (And about 10,000 rounds of .22 as well!!)

Then, I am sure you will reconsider the caliber of the choice with your dad. They already suggested 30-06.

Tanzania is special place, and for unique species to hunt of plains game I would suggest following: Grant gazzelle, thomson gazzele, lesser kudu, gerenuk, maybe a fringed eared oryx.

And one more thing. There is a great documentary movie about a kid and double rifle and hunt in Tanzania. I beleive you will enjoy it. I watched it with my son when he went on his safari with me, same age as you now.
Thank you!

Thank you everyone for all the amazing help and support! I was thinking 243 would be my hunting round for a trip to Africa, but I will most likely be using something like 6.5 or 308.

What resources (besides this site) are you using to learn about hunting in Africa? A really great book to read is “ask the Namibian guides” you can get it for $12 used on Amazon now multiple options. In spite of the title it’s relevant for many African hunts. The best magazine for African hunting is African hunting gazette, lot of great articles and information in each issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg