Frank Cavallo

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Alaska & lower 48, Canada, Mexico, Spain, New Zealand, Zimbabwe, Namibia
I've decided to thin out my gun safe as I've decided to pretty much bow hunt Africa. I'm keeping my .500 double so this one has to go. I bought this 416 Rigby back in the late 90s, sighted it in and put it in the safe. Haven't shot it since. A few years ago Patrick Holehan called me up and said he'd like to recut the chamber (for free) as he wanted to lengthen the throat in order to better take modern ammunition (mono metals). I had Mark Biggerstaff clean er up a little and he remarked just how perfectly balanced it is. (About as good as my Heym, better than my VC!) The balance point is right behind the front action screw. I believe it's also the rifle on his brochure.

It has some safe chatter- my door had jammed and the locksmith tried rocking the safe as a last effort before he drilled out the lock. Otherwise it is as clean as can be. My initials are on the grip cap, which can be polished off. The last time I checked in the '00s these were $14k-16K plus a blank. At the time, Curt Crum (of the David miller Co) turned the blank. It came originally with 1" rings with Patrick's proprietary "return to zero" welded square bridges (Warne rings). I had 2 sets of 30 mm rings made by him as well- can't remember when. I'm also including 50 Norma cases, 61 TSX and 64 solids and a set of custom dies made by Whidden Gunworks.

$9,500 firm. No trades. No PayPal please.

I can supply more pics. Don't ask me- just ask Mark Biggerstaff what a sweet rifle this is & just how this gun feels. Pics don't do it justice.

Per the info on the PL Holehan website: https://plholehancustomrifles.com/custom-rifles/
https://plholehancustomrifles.com/african-hunter/
  • Built Primarily on Winchester M-70’s, I build all rifles on controlled round feed claw extract actions.
  • All actions are double square bridged offering an accurate return to zero scope mounting.
  • One set of Talley Torx cap head or double lever rings are supplied with each rifle.
  • We strengthen the exposed ring lug surface by adapting an underlug to each ring.
  • The pre 64’ and the original ‘G’ Series factory interrupted thread is reamed out and recut on center to 1 1/16″ x 16 TPI.
  • The lug surface is recut. On all the other controlled round receiver’s the ring is trued, the bolt face is recut and trued on center.
  • The lugs are then hand lapped and the working surfaces are honed and polished.
  • The bolt release pad is built up and checkered. The bolt assembly is jeweled.
  • The trigger is done to the customer’s requested weight of pull.
  • The action is assembled with Grizzel style one piece bottom metal by Sunny Hill Enterprises. It includes a metal hinged floor plate.
  • Premium Grade, Krieger Cut Rifled Barrels are cryo treated.
  • Chambers can be cut in all standard or wildcat cartridges the actions will accept.
  • The metal is finished in a satin blue.
  • When you select one of our premium stocks blanks we include the turning cost or you can furnish your own blank. You can also choose one of our laminated stock woods.
  • An ebony forend tip is installed. Cross bolts and ebony plugs are installed.
  • A 6/10″ or 1″ Pachmeyer decelerator pad is installed at the customer’s desired length of pull.
  • The stock is pillar bedded and epoxy based fiberglass reinforced.
  • Our screwless chrome moly machined metal grip cap and a 2 screw front and rear stainless steal metal sling swivel studs are installed.
  • The stock is finished in satin Oil and then checkered in a standard point pattern, with a wrap around forearm and a 3 panel grip at 24 lines per inch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This action is built on the Dakota African Action-which will handle the largest African cartridges, as an example: a .416 Rigby, etc. The magazine length is 3.850″.

This rifle is built in the deep box fashion adding an extra round to the magazine.

The rifle is barreled with an Integral Barrel. The barrel is machined with a quarter rib, barrel lug, barrel band sling swivel stud and barrel band front sight.

Installed is a rear sight with one leaf standing and one leaf folding, a front sight bead and a detachable sight hood.

These stocks are tailored to the heavy side following traditional lines accommodating the magnums of the Safari Hunting rifles.

Finished weight approx. 10 1/4 lbs.

PRICE: Upon Request

--------------------------------------------------------------

IMG_9688.jpg
IMG_9669.jpg
IMG_9668.jpg
IMG_9667.jpg
IMG_9666.jpg
IMG_9673.jpg
IMG_9670.jpg
IMG_9682.jpg
IMG_9683.jpg
IMG_9681.jpg
IMG_9664.jpg
IMG_9663.jpg
IMG_9686.jpg
IMG_9687.jpg
IMG_9662.jpg
IMG_9691 2 copy.jpg
IMG_9677.jpg
IMG_9676.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one sweet well balanced rifle, was a pleasure to handle.
R&M will handle the transfer to the buyer.

Last edited:
If I look any longer I might get cavities!

very sexy indeed

I've decided to thin out my gun safe as I've decided to pretty much bow hunt Africa. I'm keeping my .500 double so this one has to go. I bought this 416 Rigby back in the late 90s, sighted it in and put it in the safe. Haven't shot it since. A few years ago Patrick Holehan called me up and said he'd like to recut the chamber (for free) as he wanted to lengthen the throat in order to better take modern ammunition (mono metals). I had Mark Biggerstaff clean er up a little and he remarked just how perfectly balanced it is. (About as good as my Heym, better than my VC!) The balance point is right behind the front action screw. I believe it's also the rifle on his brochure.

It has some safe chatter- my door had jammed and the locksmith tried rocking the safe as a last effort before he drilled out the lock. Otherwise it is as clean as can be. My initials are on the grip cap, which can be polished off. The last time I checked in the '00s these were $14k-16K plus a blank. At the time, Curt Crum (of the David miller Co) turned the blank. It came originally with 1" rings with Patrick's proprietary "return to zero" welded square bridges (Warne rings). I had 2 sets of 30 mm rings made by him as well- can't remember when. I'm also including 50 Norma cases, 61 TSX and 64 solids and a set of custom dies made by Whidden Gunworks.

$9,500 firm. No trades. No PayPal please.

I can supply more pics. Don't ask me- just ask Mark Biggerstaff what a sweet rifle this is & just how this gun feels. Pics don't do it justice.

Per the info on the PL Holehan website: https://plholehancustomrifles.com/custom-rifles/
https://plholehancustomrifles.com/african-hunter/
  • Built Primarily on Winchester M-70’s, I build all rifles on controlled round feed claw extract actions.
  • All actions are double square bridged offering an accurate return to zero scope mounting.
  • One set of Talley Torx cap head or double lever rings are supplied with each rifle.
  • We strengthen the exposed ring lug surface by adapting an underlug to each ring.
  • The pre 64’ and the original ‘G’ Series factory interrupted thread is reamed out and recut on center to 1 1/16″ x 16 TPI.
  • The lug surface is recut. On all the other controlled round receiver’s the ring is trued, the bolt face is recut and trued on center.
  • The lugs are then hand lapped and the working surfaces are honed and polished.
  • The bolt release pad is built up and checkered. The bolt assembly is jeweled.
  • The trigger is done to the customer’s requested weight of pull.
  • The action is assembled with Grizzel style one piece bottom metal by Sunny Hill Enterprises. It includes a metal hinged floor plate.
  • Premium Grade, Krieger Cut Rifled Barrels are cryo treated.
  • Chambers can be cut in all standard or wildcat cartridges the actions will accept.
  • The metal is finished in a satin blue.
  • When you select one of our premium stocks blanks we include the turning cost or you can furnish your own blank. You can also choose one of our laminated stock woods.
  • An ebony forend tip is installed. Cross bolts and ebony plugs are installed.
  • A 6/10″ or 1″ Pachmeyer decelerator pad is installed at the customer’s desired length of pull.
  • The stock is pillar bedded and epoxy based fiberglass reinforced.
  • Our screwless chrome moly machined metal grip cap and a 2 screw front and rear stainless steal metal sling swivel studs are installed.
  • The stock is finished in satin Oil and then checkered in a standard point pattern, with a wrap around forearm and a 3 panel grip at 24 lines per inch.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This action is built on the Dakota African Action-which will handle the largest African cartridges, as an example: a .416 Rigby, etc. The magazine length is 3.850″.

This rifle is built in the deep box fashion adding an extra round to the magazine.

The rifle is barreled with an Integral Barrel. The barrel is machined with a quarter rib, barrel lug, barrel band sling swivel stud and barrel band front sight.

Installed is a rear sight with one leaf standing and one leaf folding, a front sight bead and a detachable sight hood.

These stocks are tailored to the heavy side following traditional lines accommodating the magnums of the Safari Hunting rifles.

Finished weight approx. 10 1/4 lbs.

PRICE: Upon Request

--------------------------------------------------------------

View attachment 538400View attachment 538401View attachment 538402View attachment 538403View attachment 538404View attachment 538405View attachment 538406View attachment 538407View attachment 538408View attachment 538409View attachment 538410View attachment 538411View attachment 538412View attachment 538413View attachment 538414View attachment 538415View attachment 538418View attachment 538419
Exquisite!

But you still have to post the price...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevkala

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double