Peter Hathaway Capstick Hunter

Discussion in 'Legends Of Big Game Hunting' started by monish, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Phil Valliant

Phil Valliant AH Member

Video/Photo:
    I'Ve been reading his books and I notice he always manages to get those in there haha

2. sambarhunter

sambarhunter AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia,Ireland,New Zealand,Sweden
    I read most of his early books then got to one in where he p0oh poohed /denigrated the one and only JIM CORBETT...wtf? PHCapstuck questioning JC.
    I stopped reading his books and since then realise that literary licence has been well used.

Mlibizi 8182, Big5 and spike.t like this.

3. Rule 303

Rule 303 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand & Zimbabwe
    You would think he was an Aussie with his like of Beer:D

4. crudeoildude

crudeoildude AH Veteran

Member of:
    nra bow hunters of wyo
    growing up I read everything capstick I got my hands on ,picked up some good capsticisms my granny told me at about 6 years old that if I nlearned to read well I could go anywhere in the world I wanted to even if it was only in a book.PCH fueled a fire in this young lad that has burned for 60 plus years.Rest in Peace PCH raised glass to you

flat8 likes this.

5. Mlibizi 8182

Mlibizi 8182 AH Senior Member

Agree 100%

6. superdutch

superdutch AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA life member
    Hunted:
    Tanzania ('18) Namibia ('15, '17), USA - AK, CO, ID, NM, SC, FL, GA, WI, TX
    I first discovered Capstick as a freshman in highschool - his books, thank goodness, were in the school library! I credit his writing - he is a very gifted and humorous writer - with my interest in hunting Africa.

flat8 likes this.

7. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    I had a PH a few years back that worked with Capstick when they were culling buffalo and elephant in Kruger. He had some good stories about that time period.

8. inyati

inyati New Member

I knew Peter quite well from the early 80s untill his death,was a good friend and a great guy.One of the fastest shots ever.

flat8 likes this.

9. BenKK

BenKK AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    I still remember buying my first ever hunting book (and first online purchase) in the desert north of Meekatharra in Western Australia, during a training placement in which I shot my first big game animal with the local Aboriginals - a 39.5” billy. That was in 2002, and in 2004 after a close call bouncing a .30-30 round of a wounded buffalo bull’s skull in the long grass, that book helped me choose a .416 Rigby when information was hard to come-by in my world (I then got a shock when I asked the price of ammo, and commenced handloading as a result). The books Peter wrote introduced me to the idea of hunting in Africa.

10. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    His writing is absolutely superb, and I recommend “Death in the Tall Grass” to all new African hunting readers. However, a lot of the old PH community will tell you he took enormous literary license with many of his adventures - particularly when he put himself in them. One former PH/ now a well established gunwriter who hunted with him, calls them “pretty good novels.”

Like many writers, his early work was the best, and as he searched for new subject matter, he could offer up unusual opinions. For instance, his critique of Patterson’s efforts at Tsavo is hilarious - But his review of Corbett is seemingly uninformed and mean spirited. His biography of “Pondoro” Taylor sifts through every rumor about the man and treats them as gospel.

His hunting stories are the best and they are wonderful. Read them as just that.

Big5 likes this.