AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Australia,Ireland,New Zealand,Sweden
I read most of his early books then got to one in where he p0oh poohed /denigrated the one and only JIM CORBETT...wtf? PHCapstuck questioning JC.
I stopped reading his books and since then realise that literary licence has been well used.

crudeoildude

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
nra bow hunters of wyo
growing up I read everything capstick I got my hands on ,picked up some good capsticisms my granny told me at about 6 years old that if I nlearned to read well I could go anywhere in the world I wanted to even if it was only in a book.PCH fueled a fire in this young lad that has burned for 60 plus years.Rest in Peace PCH raised glass to you

superdutch

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA life member
Hunted
SA East Cape (‘19) Tanzania ('18) Namibia ('15, '17), USA - AK, CO, ID, NM, SC, FL, GA, WI, TX
I first discovered Capstick as a freshman in highschool - his books, thank goodness, were in the school library! I credit his writing - he is a very gifted and humorous writer - with my interest in hunting Africa.

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
I had a PH a few years back that worked with Capstick when they were culling buffalo and elephant in Kruger. He had some good stories about that time period.

inyati

Reaction score
I knew Peter quite well from the early 80s untill his death,was a good friend and a great guy.One of the fastest shots ever.

BenKK

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
I still remember buying my first ever hunting book (and first online purchase) in the desert north of Meekatharra in Western Australia, during a training placement in which I shot my first big game animal with the local Aboriginals - a 39.5” billy. That was in 2002, and in 2004 after a close call bouncing a .30-30 round of a wounded buffalo bull’s skull in the long grass, that book helped me choose a .416 Rigby when information was hard to come-by in my world (I then got a shock when I asked the price of ammo, and commenced handloading as a result). The books Peter wrote introduced me to the idea of hunting in Africa.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
His writing is absolutely superb, and I recommend “Death in the Tall Grass” to all new African hunting readers. However, a lot of the old PH community will tell you he took enormous literary license with many of his adventures - particularly when he put himself in them. One former PH/ now a well established gunwriter who hunted with him, calls them “pretty good novels.”

Like many writers, his early work was the best, and as he searched for new subject matter, he could offer up unusual opinions. For instance, his critique of Patterson’s efforts at Tsavo is hilarious - But his review of Corbett is seemingly uninformed and mean spirited. His biography of “Pondoro” Taylor sifts through every rumor about the man and treats them as gospel.

His hunting stories are the best and they are wonderful. Read them as just that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitchel76S

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.