Perfect Safari or Tropical Hunting Shirt

Have a look at our local rugged wear range
They have mesh vents for breathing i typically wear this out skippering for the day as the dry quickly
1677507247439.png

every new client at Tallyho receives a "rugged wear" serengeti long sleeve shirt in olive colour and a round bush hat or a cap
this is thick strong cotton and u can rollup the sleeves and secure them up if you like
doesnt easily get hooked or tear as these light
1677507393643.png

I want to start this post with the fact that I have spent countless dollars attempting to find a “good” safari / tropical hunting shirt that fit my needs and build. I have owned shirts from Rigby, Westley Richards, Filson, Courteney, Tag, Patagonia, Bass Pro to Walmart and the list goes on. Every shirt has required some modification or fit lousy and made it goodwill.

I spent the last 27 years assigned to organizations within DOD where generally money was not an issue and good ideas were turned into reality and everyone was the better for it. I have spoken with a local tailor and floated the idea of prototyping a true safari / tropical hunting shirt for production. I would like this to turn into something and hopefully we all benefit. Zero clue if this will fizzle out or we all have access to a great shirt in the future.

My last 27 years were spent between the middle east and Central and South America so I have a good concept for hot weather operational clothing but would love to hear your thoughts based off your experience. While I have hunted in Africa, many of you have done it way more. I will start off with things I would be interested in regarding construction and hopefully you can tune me up.

Words used to define the shirt: simple, functional, durable, practical, classic, purpose built.

100% Cotton Fabric. Unsure on weave. I feel the Filson featherweight shirt is great all around. Fabric be hand washed in a bucked on washboard and ironed without issue.

Milspec Buttons. No Velcro

2 x chest pockets. Pockets set to not hinder shouldering of rifle if pockets are full. Sized to hold a small compass, Cell Phone or GPS / Range Finder. Does anyone use arm sleeve pockets?

Sizing: Tailored fit but not slim. I am done having shirts cut way too large in the abdomen. Long enough to tuck in as most of us wear a belt with kit. Long sleeve version sleeve, is long enough to not pull too tight when shouldering a rifle.

I see no need for epaulettes. Added cost and fabric to dry when wet.

Color: Green and or khaki

Cost: Under $75

What other design features do you love or detest?

Shell loops?

Is there a need for a purpose-built shirt or does one exist I have not found? I would love to hear your thoughts. I am not in any industry related to manufacturing or sportswear so this is 100% bottom up to make something better.
Short answer, I made my own. I discovered that the ones that I purchased at the SCI convention just didn’t last long, but I had 3 LL Bean Sunwashed Canvas shirts that had proven tough over multiple years. Soooo, I decided to beach and them dye one into Olive Drab. Worked great, a bit darker than OD, but my PH said it was perfect.
I have since found that I could purchase like new from Ebay for about half the price of LLBean’s website. Anyway the dye formula that I use is 1/2 cup Rit Dark Green, 1/4 cup Rit Dark Brown, then follow package directions.
I use Rit Color Remover as the first step to get rid of the store’s color, then I dye the shirts in a very large kettle, up to 2 at a time. Stirring constantly is the key, finally I use Rit ColorStay Dye Fixative to fix the dye.
Note first few times make sure to wash separately unless you want olive drab underwear etc.

Anyway, they last a long time, and don’t fade much. The fit is nice as is the satisfaction of doing it my self. My onay minor “Wish addition” would be to add sleeve roll tabs.

The satisfaction for me is having done it myself, and ending up with a more durable shirt, less prone to sun fade.

C42B6BD1-8DB9-4149-B27C-3BABE48BFDAC.jpeg
2121C0BE-7A6C-471D-BD4D-6E2B87AA61FE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked this shirt @spike.t gave me in Zambia. We actually went to the shop at Lusaka and I bought a couple of them (without the logo) for me to wear at home, I think the brand was a Zim company called "Salty". For Zimbabwe I prefer long sleeves that can be rolled up and fastened as sometimes the jess is really thorny and long sleeves are worth it.

Profile Photo - Africa.jpeg

I think the market is fairly saturated—but your shirt in the works sounds great. My PHs have given me grief about a couple of my shirts, but my absolute favorite shirts are light seersucker in a Vietnam era camo print. :).
I would love to find something like that. Seersucker definitely works in hot weather.

Short answer, I made my own. I discovered that the ones that I purchased at the SCI convention just didn’t last long, but I had 3 LL Bean Sunwashed Canvas shirts that had proven tough over multiple years. Soooo, I decided to beach and them dye one into Olive Drab. Worked great, a bit darker than OD, but my PH said it was perfect.
I have since found that I could purchase like new from Ebay for about half the price of LLBean’s website. Anyway the dye formula that I use is 1/2 cup Rit Dark Green, 1/4 cup Rit Dark Brown, then follow package directions.
I use Rit Color Remover as the first step to get rid of the store’s color, then I dye the shirts in a very large kettle, up to 2 at a time. Stirring constantly is the key, finally I use Rit ColorStay Dye Fixative to fix the dye.
Note first few times make sure to wash separately unless you want olive drab underwear etc.

Anyway, they last a long time, and don’t fade much. The fit is nice as is the satisfaction of doing it my self. My onay minor “Wish addition” would be to add sleeve roll tabs.

The satisfaction for me is having done it myself, and ending up with a more durable shirt, less prone to sun fade.
I will definitely check it out. We have a LL Bean store local.

I'm afraid you might be trying to make a niche where there is not much of a niche to fill right now.

5.11 has almost all the bases covered at the moment.

I bought nearly a lifetime supply when Cabela's had their Safari line around 2007.

1677540580874.png

In the 80's, I got several 1st revival Abercrombie & Fitch shirts (which I have now outgrown and gave to my son).

1677540692771.png

When I find sometime I like, I usually go deep because experience has taught me that I will probably never see them again.

Right now, (without shopping around), I would probably go with Columbia Bonehead shirts.

I live in a part of the US that used to be known for making clothing and had several family members and friends involved in the industry (one still is). Paying >$100 for a shirt seems ridicules to people who know that they cost $7.00 to make.

My advice would be to come up with a well-researched and field-tested design, find a superior 100% cotton fabric, and an U.S. sewing company. (PM me - they still exhist).

Customers don't mind paying a more, if they know that Americans made it. If it's made in China with slave-labor, and your trying for 1000% markup at wholesale, you already have way too much competition.

There are a few different approaches to bring your idea to market. I don't mind giving a little advice.

(I've been selling outdoor clothing for nearly 30 years).

I think I would have just left the shirt the original pale green color.. close enough to an earth tone that the antelope wont know the difference.. and you dont have to spend the money or take the time to do all of the dying...

I might actually order a couple of those shirts as-is and see how they work out.. they look pretty nice!

I think either the "bay leaf" or the "juniper" colors could work for "africa" shirts... and honestly, they'd work just fine for 70% of what I do in the US as well for big game (sit inside a blind.. where it really doesnt matter what Im wearing.. as long as its warm and dry)...

Have a look at our local rugged wear range
They have mesh vents for breathing i typically wear this out skippering for the day as the dry quickly
View attachment 520019
I agree. If it’s brutally hot and the sun makes you feel like an ant under a magnifying glass I prefer a shirt like this only in a lighter color. My favorite is Columbia Bonehead shirt. Same features as top safari shirts but lightweight fabric and vents. Cooler than a tee shirt.

For price and comfort the Johnson Legendary long or short sleeve Johnson workear are tough, as are the ripstop cotton Stevenson Hamilton. Both at about 25-35 USD. Both in Olive fatigue.
Johnson shorts also work well.

Image1677637256.502780.jpg

Image1677637270.471352.jpg

Ive torn and ripped so many good shirts carrying out quartered kudu or Nyala out of mountains and valleys that i cant justify buying expensive shirts.

Image1677637503.207599.jpg

I agree. If it’s brutally hot and the sun makes you feel like an ant under a magnifying glass I prefer a shirt like this only in a lighter color. My favorite is Columbia Bonehead shirt. Same features as top safari shirts but lightweight fabric and vents. Cooler than a tee shirt.
Longtime fan of Bonehead but I can't seem to find any safari colors. What happened?

Great 'thread' (pun intended) :ROFLMAO:

I've often thought about getting some 'Goldilocks' / 'just right' shirts made up.

The 5.11 TacLite Pro comes close to my ideal.

I find the 'hidden' pockets indispensable - glasses, wallet, phone all readily at hand, even when seated. Have proved to be very durable.

I'm afraid you might be trying to make a niche where there is not much of a niche to fill right now.

5.11 has almost all the bases covered at the moment.

I bought nearly a lifetime supply when Cabela's had their Safari line around 2007.

View attachment 520100

In the 80's, I got several 1st revival Abercrombie & Fitch shirts (which I have now outgrown and gave to my son).

View attachment 520101

When I find sometime I like, I usually go deep because experience has taught me that I will probably never see them again.

Right now, (without shopping around), I would probably go with Columbia Bonehead shirts.

I live in a part of the US that used to be known for making clothing and had several family members and friends involved in the industry (one still is). Paying >$100 for a shirt seems ridicules to people who know that they cost $7.00 to make.

My advice would be to come up with a well-researched and field-tested design, find a superior 100% cotton fabric, and an U.S. sewing company. (PM me - they still exhist).

Customers don't mind paying a more, if they know that Americans made it. If it's made in China with slave-labor, and your trying for 1000% markup at wholesale, you already have way too much competition.

There are a few different approaches to bring your idea to market. I don't mind giving a little advice.

(I've been selling outdoor clothing for nearly 30 years).
Those Cabellas Safari look really good, I see the green one has bullet loops above the left pocket.

@Dewald - Both great shirts with a caveat. The Jonsson shirts are not available in the US and the Stevenson Hamilton ripstop has been discontinued.

All it really means is that we need to leave some space in our luggage and hit the store when we arrive in town for safari. ;)

I use the TAG short sleeved shirt with 2 front button pockets that have a big zipper pocket behind those ones...can get a lot in them....and mine have lasted years being hand washed in our washing machine..ie a water trough then ironed with iron full of hot coals.....must say bullet loops wouldn't interest me as would have thought the weight would pull down on that side....might look good for walking around....but that's bout it ;) :E Big Grin:

TAG Safari shirts for the win! Have hunted with them for years and still look great.

HH

Columbia Tamiami in cold or hot weather because the shirt breaths so well sweat is wicked away. Also Patagonia tshirts from light to midweight, short or long sleeve depending on weather. Best combo I've had so far.

@Dewald - Both great shirts with a caveat. The Jonsson shirts are not available in the US and the Stevenson Hamilton ripstop has been discontinued.

All it really means is that we need to leave some space in our luggage and hit the store when we arrive in town for safari. ;)

Promark makes Stevenson Hamilton. Just get your PH to order bulk in advance. Lots of Johnson stores or outles around.

Promark makes Stevenson Hamilton. Just get your PH to order bulk in advance. Lots of Johnson stores or outles around.
Appreciate the recommendation. Wife and I are taking a look at the 5.11 shirts that are darker earth tones made from rip-stop cotton (or mostly cotton).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!