Over a year in the making... Almost there

migrabill

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
MBS, SCI, NRA
Hunted
US. Maryland. Kentucky. West Virginia. Ohio. Illinois. Pennsylvania. Delaware.
It was in February of 2023 when my wife was the high bidder on a 10 Day African Safari hunt and she informed me that I would be hunting South Africa! Being an avid deer hunter in the hard woods covered east coast of the United States, I knew NOTHING about hunting South Africa. I quickly found this site and started asking a million questions. I was so excited. I remember telling my friends that there is no way I was going to be able to last over a year with my excitement level - I felt like my heart was going to burst. I hop on that plane to fly to RSA exactly 1 month from tonight. I feel so much more prepared thanks to the people who shared info, photos, and suggestions. This is an absolute invaluable tool for someone like me who had a million questions. This site has helped me with clothing decisions, binocular purchase, what boots to get, who should do my taxidermy, shot placement, what type of pack do I carry, what kind of knife do I need, how much do I tip, I mean just about everything that goes into an adventure like this!
The hunt came with a Blue Wildebeest and an Impala. I have decided to add a kudu, gemsbok, zebra, blesbok, and a honey badger to the wish list. One of my most favorite things on this site is reading the Hunt reports. I plan to write about my 10 day hunt in detail. I can't wait to share my experience with others as so many have shared their experiences with me.
I am not one of those "I know everything" kind of guys. When I am green, I admit it. I came here as a piece of moldable clay that was hungry for knowledge. You guys (and gals) have helped me immensely. Thank you... And the 30 day countdown begins.

Congrats hope you have a great trip and get the trophies you desire who will you be hunting with? I will be in Botswana and then RSA while you are there

Hunting Africa isn't such a big deal. It's a huge deal! Be careful. You don't wanna have a stroke before you get there. Be sure to get a prescription for doxycycline started before leaving, for tick bite fever prevention. While you're in the clinic, ask the doctor for some benzodiazopine to help with the pre-safari anxiety attacks. :D

I 4 weeks into the process. August 2025, You know where at, I've been reading and You-tubing. I found this site. If I have a question so far its been asked so I read and read... Good luck managing this last month.

Have fun on your upcoming hunt, Migrabill. I share your excitement as it’s wheels up for me this coming Wednesday to Cameroon - bongo & forest sitatunga. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.

Have a fantastic trip. Enjoy all the sights sounds and smells of africa. Love hearing about peoples first trip. I wish I had found this site before my first safari, it would have made my first safari a bit less bumpy on the planning side. There are so many knowledgeable people in the AH community.

Good luck on your journey. Will be watching for your hunt report. Safe travels and shoot straight.

Good luck! This is only the first, you will be thinking of the next before you leave

Best of luck. My wife, daughter, and I leave for our first safari in a month as well, and we share your excitement. Also share your sentiments on the value of this site for firsthand insight and information.

The benodiazapine for anxiety was a joke but doxycycline is not. Doc should be able to start you on pills before you go. Tick bite fever can be a bugger. Ask me how I know.
20220911_192024.jpg

Good luck and shoot straight! Your hunt report is eagerly awaited.

I know how you feel I'm wheels up in 25 days and will be going on my first African safari. We will be going to the Limpopo region of South Africa for Cape buffalo and Sable with a few others thrown in for good measure! Can't wait!

It's heartwarming to see so many people taking their first safari!! I hope you have a wonderful experience, soak it all in. I always take about 75% of my hunting clothes with me in a backpack to carry on. 3 times my luggage never made the trip, don't take that part of it for granted.

The ticks are big ! Just to give you an idea of what they look like. Not my nuts btw.
IMG_0131.jpeg

I’m excited for you. It will likely be life changing. Can’t wait to read all about it.

Best advice I can give you is to relax and enjoy. It’s Africa and things tend to not go as planned from time to time. Take what the bush gives you and enjoy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeonardoOy

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….