AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA, SCTP, SSSF, IHEA, IGFA, TU, NASP, USA Archery, Cherokee Gun Club
Hunted
RSA, MOZ, Wyoming, New Mexico, Florida, Georgia, Arkansas, Alabama, South Carolina, Texas.
I used to have an original, olive drab, U.S. Military M-65 Field Jacket and liner, but it got too small and I gave it away.

(I know there are much better hunting coats, but I just like them).

Anyway, I decided early this year to get "the real deal".

I bought what I thought was one off of eBay, but it turned out to be a phony European copy that had Euro zippers and was too small.

I did extensive research to find out everything I could about them.

I learned that a company in Knoxville, Tennessee made the original jacket. I contacted them and they wouldn't sell me one directly, but referred me to one of their "official" retailers.

I paid $200 for it.

I was admiring it and the liner, felt pride of ownership, then found a dang "Made in China" label in it!

I can buy U.S. military surplus jackets in woodlands camo all day long for $35.

1702170102738.png

1702170272069.png

Is nothing made in American anymore???

Alpha Industries probably paid $7 to the Chinese company that made it.

Attachments

• 1702170233395.png
    1702170233395.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 65
Hate to hi jack your post.

I have been down the same road. I am looking for a good light weight field jacket. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Filson makes great stuff.

What is your criteria for a lightweight field jacket?

I can't find the perfect jacket for me anymore.

I would like:

1. Parka Length (well below my waist)
2. GoreTex waterproof
3. Hood like a M-65 jacket (uninsulated and stays behind your back until you need it, then comes out of the collar without adding bulk to the collar, but is always with the jacket)
4. A versatile tasteful camo (if there is one), or O.D., or, maybe FDE or Coyote Brown.
5. Made of quite material that is not easy to snag or puncture when going through briers and thorns.

If you know of one, please let me know. The bride still has time to strike before Christmas!

Field jacket, barn coat, safari jacket, shirt jacket, chore coat, m-65, bdu coat. Not sure what to call it.

Light weight
Non lined
Non insulated/ removable liner is good
Hood like m-65
Buttons with zipper
4 front outer pockets with flaps
Length below waist but not to far
Would like it to ware like a long sleeve shirt for the most part
No camo

This is not a fashion statement. This is for work, ranch, hunting and everyday ware. Needs to be practical.

Thanks

Last edited:
I picked up an ECWS type "M-65" in great conditon for $40 a few years ago at a DRMO sale... they are called DLA currently or something like that. Most common surplus, I think, will be regular woodland camo. Very high quality jacket- fairly good for wet conditions but not so much for really cold conditions unless used with good liner. I gave it to a relative. The only thing I didn't like about it were the main pocket slits and flaps that seemed to be set up backwards. :(
Just a thought for a source​

I used to have an original, olive drab, U.S. Military M-65 Field Jacket and liner, but it got too small and I gave it away.

(I know there are much better hunting coats, but I just like them).

Anyway, I decided early this year to get "the real deal".

I bought what I thought was one off of eBay, but it turned out to be a phony European copy that had Euro zippers and was too small.

I did extensive research to find out everything I could about them.

I learned that a company in Knoxville, Tennessee made the original jacket. I contacted them and they wouldn't sell me one directly, but referred me to one of their "official" retailers.

I paid $200 for it.

I was admiring it and the liner, felt pride of ownership, then found a dang "Made in China" label in it!

I can buy U.S. military surplus jackets in woodlands camo all day long for $35.

View attachment 573711

View attachment 573713

Is nothing made in American anymore???

Alpha Industries probably paid $7 to the Chinese company that made it.
Look for berry-compliant uniform items and you’ll find stuff that’s still made in America.

Attachments

• Trooper Jacket | Avedon & Colby | Vintage Classic Paratrooper Jacket | Avedon & Colby Internat...pdf
    455.9 KB · Views: 46
That is very close to what I want, except:

- not Chinese
- waterproof, breathable
- waterproof hood that stays with the jacket at all times, but does not make the collar bulky or hang outside when you don't need it.

Maybe something like this.

I have one of these, and I like it.

One downside is the hood snaps on/snaps off, it does not stay with the jacket.

Other than that, it's a good piece of gear.

SAS smock is good...had one from different manufacturer but it "disappeared "....

Attachments

• SAS Smock - Helikon Tex.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 55
SAS smock is good...had one from different manufacturer but it "disappeared "....

I have a Helikon 'shirt'

https://www.military1st.com.au/bl-s...t-polycotton-ripstop-coyote.html?gad_source=1

can be worn as a jacket over a shirt - well made - designed in Poland - but made in PRC from memory.

springbok-jpg.571810

Their SAS smocks look good.

Attachments

• Helikon SFU NEXT Shirt Polycotton Ripstop Coyote.pdf
    921.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Last edited:
That is very close to what I want, except:

- not Chinese
- waterproof, breathable
- waterproof hood that stays with the jacket at all times, but does not make the collar bulky or hang outside when you don't need it.
This is the closest that I have found so far to meet my criteria.

I prefer USA made, but 90% of what I wear on a daily basis is overseas made.

It says water resistant, breathable with vents.

I agree with you on the hood.

I may buy one and give it a try.

I have one of these, and I like it.

One downside is the hood snaps on/snaps off, it does not stay with the jacket.

Other than that, it's a good piece of gear.
How has it healed up for you?
Would you buy it again?
What activities do you wear it for?

Glad you like it. Thanks for the advice.

Great looking coat. Just don’t like the hood and collar arrangement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ldaddy

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.