"Original" M-65 Field Jacket

I love mine more as a fashion statement--but it isn't overly warm, needs a sweater, too for that.
Mine is more of a working coat with spent shells in the pockets and feathers in the pouch. You are right, it’s not really warm but it has tons of pockets and has good weather resistance. I usually have a fleece on anyway.

The one thing I have noticed most different about European hunting coats is they tend to be much longer in the body than American coats. I have found for damp or wet hunts they offer a drier seat and thighs. I actually like them quite well.

I'm an Orvis dealer, but I'll be the first to admit that much of their clothing is overpriced. I often like the styling but, unless it is made by Americans and is absolutely first rate, I, more than not, opt for something else.

IMO - Simms and Sitka make the best waterproof clothing.

(Orvis Waders have come a long way recently, maybe getting close to Simms, BTW)

I really liked the looks of that Orvis jacket, but was turned off by:

- the hood rolling into the collar (too bulky)
- no insulating liner
- Waxed cloth (it's cool and I like the look (I have a couple of garments), but that may have been "waterproof" in 1895, but it doesn't make it the cut today.
- made in China

The M-65 design of the hood being completely out of your way and stored behind your back was ingenious, and should be copied by every manufacturer that makes a "waterproof" uninsulated hood (IMO).

The one thing I have noticed most different about European hunting coats is they tend to be much longer in the body than American coats. I have found for damp or wet hunts they offer a drier seat and thighs. I actually like them quite well.

I agree completely.

I don't want a "wading jacket" unless I am wearing waders and hunting ducks.

I want to sit down on the tail of a waterproof field jacket.

Orvis, almost all made in third world these days, but anything labeled “CFO” for Charles F Orvis is the top quality.

Filson is also now third world junk. I was shocked to learn that the wool Mackinaws that were $500 ten years ago, made in Seattle, are going for $1600 badly worn on EBay. Real Seattle Filson is highly collectible now.

Barbour is all third world, except for their heritage line of bedale, Beaufort, and Border coats.
Check out Barbour’s website all their models look like they belong on a Paris fashion week runway rather than in the field hunting or hiking. I love wool hunting clothing but finding any not made in China is getting Eye-onto impossible.

Check out Barbour’s website all their models look like they belong on a Paris fashion week runway rather than in the field hunting or hiking. I love wool hunting clothing but finding any not made in China is getting Eye-onto impossible.
How Tom Beckbe got going.

Not a field jacket but a hunting coat made by Sturm in Rotterdam GBH. It has a waterproof lining many pockets 2 with shell holders and an honest to goodness game bag on the back. Linen green found it on line for a reasonable price. Very comfortable with a neoprene collar.it has become my favorite bird hunting coat.

I'm an Orvis dealer, but I'll be the first to admit that much of their clothing is overpriced. I often like the styling but, unless it is made by Americans and is absolutely first rate, I, more than not, opt for something else.

IMO - Simms and Sitka make the best waterproof clothing.

(Orvis Waders have come a long way recently, maybe getting close to Simms, BTW)

I really liked the looks of that Orvis jacket, but was turned off by:

- the hood rolling into the collar (too bulky)
- no insulating liner
- Waxed cloth (it's cool and I like the look (I have a couple of garments), but that may have been "waterproof" in 1895, but it doesn't make it the cut today.
- made in China

The M-65 design of the hood being completely out of your way and stored behind your back was ingenious, and should be copied by every manufacturer that makes a "waterproof" uninsulated hood (IMO).
I always look for the quality in Orvis products. The ones I BUY sure make the grade. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to wear out some of their shirts, esp. the twill ones. Never checked the labels for origin of manuf, tho. I'm not usually thinking of hunting when I shop there for the most part.

My brother abandoned an OD green M65 jacket to me because he had sneaked off with a set of EWCS goretex clothing in camouflage while in the Air Force up in Alaska. I think it is well made, very warm with the liner. Will have to look at the label sometime.

I would look in the vintage section of some of the boutique reselling clothes stores. I still cringe when I see OD green clothing!
I see them in flea markets sometimes. You might try that, or army/navy surplus stores.

I used to have an original, olive drab, U.S. Military M-65 Field Jacket and liner, but it got too small and I gave it away.

(I know there are much better hunting coats, but I just like them).

Anyway, I decided early this year to get "the real deal".

I bought what I thought was one off of eBay, but it turned out to be a phony European copy that had Euro zippers and was too small.

I did extensive research to find out everything I could about them.

I learned that a company in Knoxville, Tennessee made the original jacket. I contacted them and they wouldn't sell me one directly, but referred me to one of their "official" retailers.

I paid $200 for it.

I was admiring it and the liner, felt pride of ownership, then found a dang "Made in China" label in it!

I can buy U.S. military surplus jackets in woodlands camo all day long for $35.

View attachment 573711

View attachment 573713

Is nothing made in American anymore???

Alpha Industries probably paid $7 to the Chinese company that made it.
@Safari Dave
When I was in the Australian Army we were shocked to find our DPMs (Disruptive Pattern Material) also known Cams were made in China.
So here we were proud Australian soldiers dress in Chinese made uniforms. How embarrassing and ridiculous.
Bob

I need to unpack some boxes from my Dads house. He’s gone 9 years, but he bought a genuine M-65 field jacket a couple of decades ago, he wanted one exactly like he wore in the US Army is West Germany in the 1950s. Bought it from an Army surplus store in Lafayette Louisiana. Have the liner as well.
I think I will wear it on my next hunt.
@cajunchefray
Wearing that with the liner in Louisiana is a sure way to lose weight in those temperatures.
Bob

This is certainly under the correct category. Those field jackets were a joke. I still have one of mine from early seventies. And I'm sure I can still wear it. Should let my grandson have it. They were cold on a hot summer day.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Had an old M-65 - always cold, not weather proof at all, no hand warmer pockets. I do like certain vintage military items - Korea war era wool pants and shirts (technically liners) are amazing for winter outdoors. You can even wet wash them.

That said, have abandoned the old M-65. I use the Beckbe Tenesaw and a couple old Barbours. They last forever and you can get them repaired and rewaxed at will. Some have game pockets. If you want to go upscale look at Grenfells. Bean and Bauer and such used to have good stuff but is really fashion wear now. Some Filson is good for now but they are going down the fashion route having hired RLP execs to run the place. Carhartt is affordable but to me not that huntable. Avedon stuff is first rate if it fits your needs. The field shirts are excellent.

The M-65 set the tone for a lot of modern designs but 50 years later you have much better options.

It all depends on what you are looking for. Had an old M-65 - always cold, not weather proof at all, no hand warmer pockets. I do like certain vintage military items - Korea war era wool pants and shirts (technically liners) are amazing for winter outdoors. You can even wet wash them.

That said, have abandoned the old M-65. I use the Beckbe Tenesaw and a couple old Barbours. They last forever and you can get them repaired and rewaxed at will. Some have game pockets. If you want to go upscale look at Grenfells. Bean and Bauer and such used to have good stuff but is really fashion wear now. Some Filson is good for now but they are going down the fashion route having hired RLP execs to run the place. Carhartt is affordable but to me not that huntable.

I always look for the quality in Orvis products. The ones I BUY sure make the grade. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to wear out some of their shirts, esp. the twill ones. Never checked the labels for origin of manuf, tho. I'm not usually thinking of hunting when I shop there for the most part.
I’m wearing an older American made orvis today. Has become my working in coat but damn I love it.
IMG_2948.jpeg

In North America I wear my upland vest hunting big game. It has sufficient hunter orange to keep me legal and I can toss everything I need for the day in the pockets or game bag. Beats dealing with a daypsck. No hand warmer pockets but I can drop the front zipper enough to slip one hand or other inside next to my chest as needed. This is a Pheasants Are Forever model marketed by Browning. I'm not breaking any fashion records but my attire is based on utility not looks.
Buck 2018.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlanaBirre

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.