Opinion needed

Grensvegter19

Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope all is well

So im in the market for a rifle and have taken quite a liking to the Mossberg Patriot rifle. And given that im from South Africa, it is extremely hard for me to get an opinion on this weapon as most people use Howa, Sako, Tikka and Musgrave rifles. In fact ive never met someone with ANY mossberg rifle. therefore i request your opinions. im looking at either a 300 win mag or a 7mm rem mag. as both of these are long action rifles, i was wondering if the shorter 22" barrel will cause significant loss of velocity ? that is my main concern with this rifle. Another question i have is a relatively minor one, im stuck on deciding which model to purchase. I'm interested in the Walnut stock and the Synthetic stock with highlander camo ( kryptek ). Are there any major advantages that one has over the other or does it come down to personal preference between synthetic or wood?
Any help will be deeply appreciated

The Mossberg name around my place are typically related to shotguns.
I have synthetic stock on my 300WM (Weatherby) and I have had no issues with it.
Just looked online and saw some of the features. It does not look to bad for a basic rifle. I have zero clue about it's performance on the range or in the field.
Hope someone can assist directly.

I have an older mossberg ATR (one of the predecessors to the patriot) in .243...

It's an obvious "cheap" rifle.. fit and finish are poor, the stock leaves a lot to be desired, the quality of the components is fairly low, etc..

All that said, the rifle has been extremely reliable, is accurate, and the price was great..

It's been a very good "starter" rifle for kids and a "loaner" rifle for friends.. I have no complaints..

I have an older mossberg ATR (one of the predecessors to the patriot) in .243...

It's an obvious "cheap" rifle.. fit and finish are poor, the stock leaves a lot to be desired, the quality of the components is fairly low, etc..

All that said, the rifle has been extremely reliable, is accurate, and the price was great..

It's been a very good "starter" rifle for kids and a "loaner" rifle for friends.. I have no complaints..
In the reviews and articles ive seen about it, the "problems" you mentioned are the actual improvements they have made with the patriot. My main concerns with the rifle is the potential velocity drop with the 300 and 7mm due to the 22" barrel. Otherwise im sold on this rifle. The features at that price is incredible considering rifles and equipment cost almost triple here what they would cost you guys.

I've never been a huge fan of Mossberg rifles, the fit and finish just doesn't seem to match up to other rifles even in the same price range. That said, Mossbergs work and its tough to mess one up.

Personally, I'd save an extra $200 and get a Ruger American Magnum or a Savage 110 Trophy XP and that one will come with a Nikon 3-9x40.

I have a few minutes and will run down to the sporting goods store to see if I can get my hands on one to look at first hand.

As far as the velocity, yes you will lose velocity at 22 inches, but it wont be much (50 - 100 fps is my guess).

Randy Wakeman, an online gun writer who will call a junky rifle, a junky rifle, did a review on the Mossberg Patriot awhile back. Very good trigger and accurate, for a low, low price.
http://randywakeman.com/ReviewMossbergPatriotWalnut270WinchesterBoltActionRifle.htm

http://randywakeman.com/TheCurrentStateoftheAffordableBoltActionRifle.htm

http://randywakeman.com/CheapBoltActionRifleMania.htm
Im pretty sure i saw those videos. however i do not always trust the " big reviewers " as i feel they often lie to keep their paychecks. now in no way am i saying that randy newberg is one of those kinds of reviewers. My fears are like this. My uncle was in the market for a new rifle earlier this year and he is a sako fanatic. We read all the great reviews about the 85 having no issues but when i asked on a facebook group consisting of actual owners, we were shocked at the number of people who said they had sold their 85's and found second hand 75's etc. The main issues being damaged scopes due to the casings hitting the scope upon ejection. so thats why i prefer to get opinions of people who have actually owned the gun instead of reviewing it for the company etc.

I have a few minutes and will run down to the sporting goods store to see if I can get my hands on one to look at first hand.

As far as the velocity, yes you will lose velocity at 22 inches, but it wont be much (50 - 100 fps is my guess).
Thank you for the effort wow! thats a disadvantage in my country because like i said i rarely see people use mossberg and thus the shops mainly deal on orders rather actually keeping in shop so its hard to actually get to try the gun out.

now in no way am i saying that randy newberg is one of those kinds of reviewers.

Randy Newberg and Randy Wakeman are two different people, although I like them both. Newberg is more into hunting (DIY hunts in Montana) and Wakeman reviews gun, mostly a shotgun guy.

Randy Newberg and Randy Wakeman are two different people, although I like them both. Newberg is more into hunting (DIY hunts in Montana) and Wakeman reviews gun, mostly a shotgun guy.
That was my mistake apologies. i follow randy newberg on youtube. but i have seen both the videos by randy wakeman so i got a bit confused. apologies

From what I've gathered in the past you lose between 40-50 fps per inch lost in barrel length. Typically these two calibers performance is based on a 26 inch barrel, so you'll lose 160-200 fps. It's not optimal, but the 7mm mag is still shooting faster than a 7mm-08 or 7x57, and the 300 WM is still faster than a 308.

As for wood or synthetic, they both work. I like wood, but for that price don't expect amazing figure.

Reactions: lcq
Ok thank you. im normally a wood guy myself but the kryptek highland camo looks pretty good.

I have a Mossberg Patriot in 375 Ruger and I love it. Is it going to win a beauty contest no does it function as it should yes and it even holds a group. That is a 4 shot group at 100 yards I had 5 rounds loaded and scope was bore sighted first shot landed 8" high made adjustments and shot the last four for group. If you want a rifle that shoots where you aim and are not worried that it doesn't look like a classic English sporting rifle.
Shawn

IMG_0478.JPG
IMG_0477.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't own one but I remember the old adages, "you get what you pay for" and "buy once, cry once". After reading a few hands on reviews, my take is that they are inconsistent. One shoots good and another shoots like crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone, hope all is well

So im in the market for a rifle and have taken quite a liking to the Mossberg Patriot rifle. And given that im from South Africa, it is extremely hard for me to get an opinion on this weapon as most people use Howa, Sako, Tikka and Musgrave rifles. In fact ive never met someone with ANY mossberg rifle. therefore i request your opinions. im looking at either a 300 win mag or a 7mm rem mag. as both of these are long action rifles, i was wondering if the shorter 22" barrel will cause significant loss of velocity ? that is my main concern with this rifle. Another question i have is a relatively minor one, im stuck on deciding which model to purchase. I'm interested in the Walnut stock and the Synthetic stock with highlander camo ( kryptek ). Are there any major advantages that one has over the other or does it come down to personal preference between synthetic or wood?
Any help will be deeply appreciated

I agree with Brickburn. Personally I would go for one of the others you mentioned. I have 4 Sako rifles and they are truly great to use.

22" barrel is not a big deal I'm getting 3213fps with a 200gr mono metal bullet with no sign of pressure.
Shawn

A
22" barrel is not a big deal I'm getting 3213fps with a 200gr mono metal bullet with no sign of pressure.
Shawn
Awesome thanks! I get the feeling it will depend on the gun and ammo. maybe it will drop maybe it wont

I ran down to the sporting goods store and did a very quick look over of the synthetic (black) vs wood. This was an in the hand "test" only, neither rifle were shot.

The synthetic fit well, pointed well, but just felt like plastic.

The wood felt more like a rifle to me. Fit and finish were fairly good. The only true downside I immediately saw in this particular gun I handled was the gap around the free floated barrel was noticeably greater on one side than the other. It is cosmetic only.

The action on both rifles felt good to cycle and the metal work looked good. The safety moved well. The trigger seemed to function well and broke appropriately.

Neither rifle felt "cheap" but neither felt high end either. All things considered, both rifles appeared to be very good considering the price point. My preference in this model is wood.

That is my quick run down of a very quick in the hand feel. I must run to work now. Argh

I ran down to the sporting goods store and did a very quick look over of the synthetic (black) vs wood. This was an in the hand "test" only, neither rifle were shot.

The synthetic fit well, pointed well, but just felt like plastic.

The wood felt more like a rifle to me. Fit and finish were fairly good. The only true downside I immediately saw in this particular gun I handled was the gap around the free floated barrel was noticeably greater on one side than the other. It is cosmetic only.

The action on both rifles felt good to cycle and the metal work looked good. The safety moved well. The trigger seemed to function well and broke appropriately.

Neither rifle felt "cheap" but neither felt high end either. All things considered, both rifles appeared to be very good considering the price point. My preference in this model is wood.

That is my quick run down of a very quick in the hand feel. I must run to work now. Argh
Awesome thanks so much for your efforts. Deeply appreciate it. If im going to take the synthetic one it will be the Krytek camo one. Looks a bit better than the normal black/grey ones to me. but thanks alot!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg