Open sight hunters

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by JPbowhunter, May 25, 2019.

1. brettp

brettp AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, USA (Northeast, midwest, Rockies, Alaska), Canada and Hungary
    Yes!

I shot this hartebeest with my open sighted double precisely to require more skill.

00107199-7af9-4ac1-98b0-c0dceb169252.jpg

2. AWLee

AWLee AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Certain situations that I hunt demand open sights.

Most of my rifles are so equipped but also have the capacity for a scope, save my Winchester 94 Takedown with a Climn’ Lyman peep sight. It has stood the test of time.

3. Von Gruff

Von Gruff AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    I love this thread where real hunters show what it is that motivates us in the field

Opposite Pole and JPbowhunter like this.

4. Trail Rated

Trail Rated AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Yep. The more I hunt, the more I eschew my scoped rifles and opt instead for aperture sights. I prefer the old-school feeling, I like the way rifles look without scopes, and I’m proud of being able to stalk to within a closer shooting distance of my prey.

I’m often a guest at a whitetail hunting ranch where scopes and calibers of .30+ are required; everywhere else I hunt I go with receiver peep sights.

JPbowhunter likes this.

5. AZDAVE

AZDAVE AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
    Love irons, have shot with my doubles in Africa warthog, zebra, buffalo, eland, sable, roan and hippo on my three safaris. There is a place for optics but my first choice is irons. Getting ready to start a 9.3x62 mannlicher style stock, with set triggers and aperture sights on a VZ-24 M98 action later this summer.

JPbowhunter likes this.

6. Hutch01

Hutch01 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    RSA East Cape 4X, Mozambique, NZ, Namibia
    I use a Ruger Ranch rifle with a peep sight mostly knockin around on our place which is very brushy. I experience many snap shot opportunities on pigs. It’s nice not to have to worry about a dusty scope lens or losing zero banging around on the Ranger.

ZG47 and JPbowhunter like this.

7. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    My brother and I took his BIL out to get his first deer. Managed two deer in the hunt. This young one was a bang flop, his second was hit too far back. Had to track it through some thick stuff and I managed to put her down with a 30m shot on the run. Wouldn't have got it done with a scope i don't reckon! IMG_0178.jpeg

8. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    Interesting question. After considering it and searching my memory for a couple of days I think I can say with some certainty the number of my big game kills with open sights is about the same as with a scope. However, even for fairly close shooting or in thick timber, I think I am more comfortable in making an accurate, well placed shot with a low powered, quality scope with good FOV than with most any open sight.

Red Leg likes this.

9. Hoss Delgado

Hoss Delgado AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    All the rifles l have ever owned throughout my life ( admittedly 3 : A Winchester Pump Action Gallery Rifle in .22 short with which l first learnt how to shoot , a .22 Savage Hi Power Model 99 lever action which was my first hunting rifle , and my .375 H&H Magnum Pre War Winchester Model 70 which is my current all purpose hunting rifle and which l will NEVER sell ) are used with open sights .Some times , l attach a scope on my Winchester if my wife wants to shoot it . I like the feel and balance of an iron sights rifle .
    My dream project is to someday have a .500 Jeffery built with a detachable magazine system , which l plan to use with iron sights too.

Trail Rated likes this.

10. leslie hetrick

leslie hetrick AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    several sporting clubs
    Hunted:
    several
    I bought this sporterized high number 03 springfield at a public auction in original 3006 for a fraction of what it cost to get the work done in very good condition with a ex bore and it shoots lights out with 55 grs imr 4350 and a 165 gr nosler BT.

DSCN0839 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2019
    Von Gruff likes this.

11. Red Devil

Red Devil AH Member

Video/Photo:
    RUGER Hawkeye African (6.5x55) w/ NEGC Ruger Aperture sight.

[​IMG]

Red

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2019
    Trail Rated likes this.

12. ian-bradley

ian-bradley AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia
    220DE4E1-A648-4098-9FDD-23B2B3743479.jpeg 9BC8FEA8-E19B-4986-A9F3-CED4B9D19D3E.jpeg 6409FBC4-AA54-4E48-BDAB-686432307B4F.jpeg These are some of the trophies I shot last year spot and stalk with a pre war model 70 30-06 all one shot kills didn’t have to track a single one, the Nyala was 50 yards off sticks, waterbuck was 115 yards off sticks and the eland was 90 yards off hand.

7x57Joe, Von Gruff and Trail Rated like this.