One rifle, two scopes

Has anyone used a similar combo? Was it worth it or, is keeping it simple with one bullet weight and scope better?
All my rifles have some type of QD mounts.
This is reliable. Holds zero. My African 375 has German type swing mount.

Purpose of my QD mounts is that in case i need iron sights I can remove scope, and use iron sights.

However, going two Africa, and switching bullets and scopes, to me it looks too complicated, and sounds more like academic approach.

I understand the logic - making 375 as versatile as it once was (when it was invented), for long duration full bag east African safari, from longer shot and lighter bullet on some antelope to close shot with heavier bullet on buffalo
At that time, bullets were also of basic cup and core construction

Today, safari is one week, bullets are better. Frequently buffalo is single animal hunted in one safari.
Sometimes, it is buffalo and other PG species.

375 H&Hm 300 grain, like swift a frame, for all, will work all round. And keep few solids available.

However, combination of two scopes, or a scope and red dot, or similar, can be considered.
But the purpose is if one scope breaks down during travel or while in the field, then another one can be used.

It can be done with good mounts and rings. I only use talleys….one 375 has EAW. I have a buddy that always brings a second scope….I prefer not to. One rifle, one scope, one load with same poi softs and solids, and all my rifles have irons that are sighted in for same load. I prefer as few variables as possible. All that being said I’m not shooting at anything past 200 with a scope in africa, and actually prefer open sight within 100, so I may be the anomaly here.

Formerly, in German-speaking countries of Europe, it was not uncommon for many weapons to have two scopes. There were also often rifles that had two different mounts, one for each scope. It was classic to use a 4x32 scope for stalking and a 8x56 scope for hunting from the Hochsitz/High seat. The ammunition used was but the same in most cases.

Formerly, in German-speaking countries of Europe, it was not uncommon for many weapons to have two scopes. There were also often rifles that had two different mounts, one for each scope. It was classic to use a 4x32 scope for stalking and a 8x56 scope for hunting from the Hochsitz/High seat. The ammunition used was but the same in most cases.
But that was because they were fixed power, and a number of those older calibers like the 6.5x57 or 7x57 had quite good long range potential. The rifle might be used on a wild boar hunt one month and an Alpine chamois (gams) the next. The variable scope has largely put an end to that sort of thing.

I firmly believe Talley mounts are the superior inexpensive solution to a detachable scope. I have them on eight or nine rifles. They are far better made than the Warne product. I do not care for the Leupold design at all. Talley mounts are very dependable, and operate on the same principle as the Blaser saddle mount. Options for a detachable mount solution go up steeply in price from there. For instance, rings and bases for a traditional claw mount push two grand. EAW makes both roll-off and swing mounts. The former are three times the cost of Talleys and the latter will push a thousand or more when installed.

I firmly believe Talley mounts are the superior inexpensive solution to a detachable scope. I have them on eight or nine rifles. They are far better made than the Warne product. I do not care for the Leupold design at all. Talley mounts are very dependable, and operate on the same principle as the Blaser saddle mount. Options for a detachable mount solution go up steeply in price from there. For instance, rings and bases for a traditional claw mount push two grand. EAW makes both roll-off and swing mounts. The former are three times the cost of Talleys and the latter will push a thousand when installed.

I don't know how much "superior" Talley mounts can be to Warne. My Warne mounts hold zero perfectly. Perfect is perfect. Putting the Warne rings on my scope required two and a half hands but once they're on, they are on. I suspect Leopold or Redfield one-piece may attach scopes a teensy bit quicker, but I can't imagine any situation where I'd need to be in a hurry reattaching my scope.

I normally use one bullet weight for each rifle, 300 grain in 375 Ruger and 400 grain in 416 Rigby but I always take an extra scope set in rings, I’ve tried QD mounts but can’t seem to make them work. On my first safari my 1x6 Leopold went crooked and could get it in zero and I switched to my 1x4 Trijicon and hunted with it. When I got back I found a sheered off screw on the leopold and it hasn’t needed adjustment since. 1 bullet weight but a backup scope every time is the short answer.

As pointed out by another here, perhaps the most useful aspect of QD rings/mount is the ability to switch to iron sights as needed. When stalking/tracking game in vertical rough terrain, I appreciate being able to put the scope in my pack and flip up the rear sight leaf. Also handy to remove the scope in a snowstorm. Last fall I attempted to hike up to the spot where I packed out an elk with horses back in 1982 when I was thirty years old (so how am I now?). Mostly the intention was to take pictures of the spectacular scenery. No way would I ever kill another animal in there even if I still had horses. Unfortunately, it turns out the scenery is gone after helicopter logging and wildfires laid waste to most of the canyon. But I persevered through wet blowing snow hoping to at least get a photo of the last of three waterfalls the wounded bull had fatally failed to negotiate. Just short of my goal I threw in the towel. The deep snow and slash/blowdown was downright scary. Then I discovered the RINO in my backpack had died. That's it. A sprained ankle up there could have killed me with no way to call for help. Having fallen down several times during the course of the day, I was glad my scope was tucked safely in my pack.
20221127_105452.jpg

Objective is barely visible at far left top of canyon in the distance.
20221127_125646.jpg

Half way there. Two years after taking the elk, I killed twin forked horn muley bucks with one shot from the other side of the the top of this ridge. One of them slid down the rockfall about fifty yards. I made him into a pack and crawled to the top.
20221127_125555.jpg

Time to turn around.

But that was because they were fixed power, and a number of those older calibers like the 6.5x57 or 7x57 had quite good long range potential. The rifle might be used on a wild boar hunt one month and an Alpine chamois (gams) the next. The variable scope has largely put an end to that sort of thing.

Sure, an variable scope would certainly have made this practice superfluous even back then. I don't want to go into more details about what was hunted, but certainly not wild boars one month and chamois the next in this times. The distribution of game was completely different at that time and the hunters were very limited to their areas because of a lack of opportunities to move over greater distances. In addition, this mounts has also been found on rifles caliber 8mm or bigger. That is but not the topic.

The topic is about whether you can mount two scopes on one rifle and to regulate each scope with a different load, what is easily possible, and not a bad idea for hunting in Africa.

Sure, an variable scope would certainly have made this practice superfluous even back then. I don't want to go into more details about what was hunted, but certainly not wild boars one month and chamois the next in this times. The distribution of game was completely different at that time and the hunters were very limited to their areas because of a lack of opportunities to move over greater distances. In addition, this mounts has also been found on rifles caliber 8mm or bigger. That is but not the topic.

The topic is about whether you can mount two scopes on one rifle and to regulate each scope with a different load, what is easily possible, and not a bad idea for hunting in Africa.
I also so not wish to highjack this thread. And we may be talking past one another. But, I would argue they were used exactly that way in Austria and German Tyrol. In the seventies, when I lived and hunted in Germany, one of my hunting mentors was a retired German physician in his eighties who had a lovely home and revier near Kempten. He still had his burgstutzen from before the war (which his wife had successfully hidden for two years until his return from British captivity). It was a Ferlach made 7x65R with two front claw bases for two fixed power scopes. One he used for boar and roe deer, and the other for mountain game. All were easily accessed in that area even in the thirties. Sometime in the late sixties he had a then modern variable fitted to the rear front mount.

Why else would anyone have had a rifle set up for different scopes of significantly different power.

For me especially with a 375 H&H a one rifle two scope setup makes a lot of sense ....

1. 1-6x scope with 340gr Rhino bullets.
2. 2-15 scope with 260, 270 or 300gr if you wish

With proper qd mounts you can change scope easy even in the field so you carry it option 1 and if need you can switch to optiin 2.

I firmly believe Talley mounts are the superior inexpensive solution to a detachable scope. I have them on eight or nine rifles. They are far better made than the Warne product. I do not care for the Leupold design at all. Talley mounts are very dependable, and operate on the same principle as the Blaser saddle mount. Options for a detachable mount solution go up steeply in price from there. For instance, rings and bases for a traditional claw mount push two grand. EAW makes both roll-off and swing mounts. The former are three times the cost of Talleys and the latter will push a thousand or more when installed.

Alaska Arms is another very reliable option. I’ve used Warne in the past, and one set of Leupold QRWs on a Picatinny rail - they both worked after lapping, but the Alaska Arms and Talleys are much better made, and better looking. I agree that the Leupold Qrs on Leupold bases are terrible.

As others have stated, one scope in quality QD mounts (Talley, Alaska Arms or Warne) is what most people do. For a 375H&H the 300 grain premium bullets (SAF, Barnes TSX, Norma Oryx or Federal TBBC) seem to work wonders on everything above 70 lbs all the way to buffalo. Find a 300 grain premium solid (CEB, Nosler or Woodleigh Hydro) that shoots to the same POI as the soft and you are set for the T10 along with elephant & rhino.

IMO two scopes are not necessary. A more reliable course of action is to use your backup iron sights. Not to mention that you sighted them in and practiced with them as well. This will be lighter, less to pack, less to sight in and will always be attached to the rifle in the event that the scope suffers some damage in the field. No, you most likely won't be taking 300 yard shots with BUIS, but they are a hell of a lot better than a bent scope.

One rifle with a spare scope same qd mounts is never a bad idea and the little bit of extra weight can never be an isue when traveling with 1 rifle....I have never had any issues with being on zero after removal and back in rifle with Warne mounts.
Very few visiting hunters can shoot with iron/open sights.....and if your scope conks out early in the hunt could be a problem.....small chance but if it does happen could be bad news....

So much to learn, from very experienced hunters; I'm debating about "re-scoping" some of my rifles, so some pondering ahead; thank you all.

So much to learn, from very experienced hunters; I'm debating about "re-scoping" some of my rifles, so some pondering ahead; thank you all.

Just got back from SA today…I experimented with the same idea, multiple loads, different optics. For practicality, I used one scope and load combo. A 375 Ruger with 299 Shock Hammers and the Z8i 1-8. 40yrd warthog to a 205yrd sable, and lots in-between, all taken cleanly. And I had a back up scope just in case.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you