on a lighter note...

Stick shift. One of the best kidproofers going. Way back in the dark ages (1940s) when I learned to drive there were no slushbox (automatic) transmissions. It was 3 or more on the floor and no synchromesh. Learned to double clutch as one of the first requirements of getting from one gear to the next without grinding. When I took my driving test to get my license (1956) I had to borrow my aunt's car because a stick was mandatory and we had a slushbox. The driving tester was quite impressed that I was double clutching. I still do to this day with a stick.
Learned to drive in a '64 Beetle. Fun in the snow, until you become a toboggen and skid thru corners!
 
IMG_8896.jpeg
 
Learned to drive in a '64 Beetle. Fun in the snow, until you become a toboggen and skid thru corners!

LOL, I remember those days! Smashing snow drifts at speed to get to the bare road on the other side! I actually learned to drive on a tractor. I was getting sent to the Co-Op with a tractor and trailer as soon as my feet could reach the pedals. Probably some form of child abuse today!
 
LOL, I remember those days! Smashing snow drifts at speed to get to the bare road on the other side! I actually learned to drive on a tractor. I was getting sent to the Co-Op with a tractor and trailer as soon as my feet could reach the pedals. Probably some form of child abuse today!

We used to hunt and occasionally would camp on the Usangu Flats. One day when I was 7 or 8 as we left the tent, dad asked if I wanted to drive and handed me the keys. The Landrover was maybe 15' from and facing the tent. I killed the Landrover a couple times letting out the clutch. Dad said to keep giving it plenty of gas. I did and took off straight towards the tent with my mom and brothers inside. Dad shoved the wheel and I took out a guy wire of the tent. It wasn't long before he had me on the Farmall and the 5 ton cabover Bedford. We may have been free labor, but we learned a lot of things young.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,297
Messages
1,570,964
Members
169,076
Latest member
ShellaTugg
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top