Old German rifle

I have a similar looking rifle that has "Mod. Mauser JP Sauer and son" marked on top of the rib. Mine is chambered in 8x57J (.318) and dates to 1906.

jpsauer-1.JPG
jpsauer-2.JPG
jpsauer-3.JPG
jpsauer-4.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful rifle I'm just wondering if mine is one of the ones that he built when he got a letter meant for a different gun manufacturer. but built the rifle anyway for the customer and then just hide his information under his stock. I have read in the early days When a letter was dropped in his mailbox by accident meant for a different gun Maker, he would build the rifle anyhow.
 
The raised side panels on that rifle makes me wonder if it may have been built before the first world war?
 
If it´s really a Krieghoff produced in Suhl it has been produced before WW2.
After the war Krieghoff had to move to the West and is now located in Ulm.
sporterized military Mauser , rest as Lüderitz said.
 
The raised side panels on that rifle makes me wonder if it may have been built before the first world war?

Could be, but does not have to be. I saw rifles from the twenties that also had stocks like that.
 
Keep your eye out for another classic era used commercial stock. I have actually seen several come up on ebay and go for good prices. Very good in fact. Who wants them? Not long ago a nice one with Schnabel fore end went for a song. I bought this used Mauser aftermarket stock from GunBroker for a couple hundred and cleaned it up for my 404 build. I left the trap gun recoil pad on it (for now). Just fit it properly.
20240420_112851.jpg

Then you could swap out the safety for a Buhler scope relief safety and change the scope mounts. Those safeties can be had for less than a hundred bucks. Or if the new used stock is cut for it, you might install a trigger block safety. Timney sells them for about $150. It is a shame someone would do so many brutal modifications to a classic hunting rifle just to save a safety that in my opinion was extremely unfriendly for hunting to start with.
 
Last edited:
Keep your eye out for another classic era used commercial stock. I have actually seen several come up on ebay and go for good prices. Very good in fact. Who wants them? Not long ago a nice one with Schnabel fore end went for a song. I bought this used Mauser aftermarket stock from GunBroker for a couple hundred and cleaned it up for my 404 build. I left the trap gun recoil pad on it (for now). Just fit it properly.
View attachment 606183
Then you could swap out the safety for a Buhler scope relief safety and change the scope mounts. Those safeties can be had for less than a hundred bucks. Or if the new used stock is cut for it, you might install a trigger block safety. Timney sells them for about $150. It is a shame someone would do so many brutal modifications to a classic hunting rifle just to save a safety that in my opinion was extremely unfriendly for hunting to start with.


I have an older 98 stock in the den that was probably from the 20s or 30s. Horn butt plate and has a built in Greener side safety. I think it has a couple cracks that would need repaired.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,440
Messages
1,576,408
Members
170,577
Latest member
TajLing141
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top