Of all the African game meat, which is your favourite? How would you rank them?

It is really hard to pick a favorite. Buffalo, Eland, Nyala are definitely in the top of the rankings. Red Lechwe, Zebra, and Hippo would also be right there with them. One of the finest meals from game meat while in Africa was Hippo tail soup, which was more like a stew. Probably the best meal I’ve had there was from an Eland I got on my last safari. The PH cut out the brisket and smoked it for what seemed like forever. That Eland brisket was the best smoked bbq I’ve ever had.

Does anyone ever eat Nilgai over there?
We have big free ranging hers here on the coast in texas and we love to eat Nilgai. My favorite here in texas
Never ate Nilgai but planning to hunt a cow.
Do you think it's better than axis?

Does anyone ever eat Nilgai over there?
We have big free ranging hers here on the coast in texas and we love to eat Nilgai. My favorite here in texas
I absolutely love Nilgai meat (which I hunt in the northern tip of our country). Especially the tenderloin when prepared like a Sunday roast dinner (slow roasted above live charcoals) and served with Yorkshire puddings, roasted potatoes & roasted vegetables with Dijon mustard & horseradish cream.

Try taking a young male than a female you want regret.
Axis is spotted deer or chital what we call them here and they are good eating again.
Bapu

They are great. I think it is just as good as Axis. Have defiantly dinned on Nilgai more in my life. Like any game keep it rare as they are lean mean fit animals.
Pick outfitter wise. Lots of night vision hunts offered cheap and are just low quality.

You should go shoot a free range day time bull. They taste just as good and you get wayyy more meat! The burger ground will replace any ground beef meal you have. Amazing stuff.

Try taking a young male than a female you want regret.
Axis is spotted deer or chital what we call them here and they are good eating again.
Bapu
Black buck is delicious as well. The Indian sun continent has the best eating antelopes. We are blessed in Texas to have free ranging herds of all 3

Agreed.
If anyone ends up at the restaurant located at the Etosha National Park by the main gate try Zebra Schnitzel from the menu, you'll be blown away.
Or go to Philips @KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS and have his girls whip you up some schnitzel from your hunt
IMG_0787.jpeg

Below is a German “Kolache” is what we would call it here with some zebra sausage bacon wrapped inside the puff pastry.
869E6432-7B5C-4139-B94B-0AE667DB48B0.jpeg

If I could have any African meal right now, it would be that zebra steak or that slow cooked elephant stew...or the ox-tail and sadza! I've rarely had an off meal in African camps.

Favorite plains game meat - giraffe.
Favorite dangerous game meat - leopard.

I have not tried lion yet. One of Theodore Roosevelt’s regrets is that he never tried lion backstrap.

Talk to me about the leopard and how it was prepared? That was my goal on the last hunt and we came up short. Your giraffe must have been young? The old stink bulls aren't good.

The leopard backstrap was very good, almost a little on the bland side. Not as tender as prime beef but very palatable.

I have also eaten mountain lion and bobcat here in the States. The leopard was much better than the mountain lion.

I ate the giraffe at The Carnivore Restaurant in Nairobi near the airport in 1996. I don’t think they serve wild meats anymore but I could be wrong.

Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Well that's saying something as most people like mountain lion...it's a bit like veal.

Memorable meals? I recall a gemsbok goulash made by my PH in 2006. Delicious. Grilled Springbok appetizer taken by another hunter. Excellent. Super grilled backstrap of eland as an appetizer last year at Tholo. They had marinated it though, and I would have like to have tried it straight up. I remember a waterbuck that was excellent, in spite of what you’ve heard. Worst? Easy. A buffalo oxtail in 2012 in the Omay. Wasn’t cleaned properly, and the large bones tasted very much like a barnyard floor, if you know what I mean. Wife couldn’t take it, but I just added more hot sauce. It was my Buffalo, after all.

Buffalo ox-tail done right is one of my favs. Anything done bad is bad! I had eland this summer that was awesome and another time it was tough as a boot.

We were shooting for a museum in Canada. So a family of Giraffe was on order. The nyama from the youngest was the best. Day in day out Eland is hard to beat. I like it all even Ele but harder to chew.I saw the Ox tail comments and I wholeheartedly agree. Very nice!

I'll throw my vote toward Eland; best by far IMHO.

Most plains game is good. I think zebra is best. Hippo is very good, nice moist meat but is reputed to cause GI distress. I certainly found that to be true- not food poisoning; more analogous to someone lactose intolerant drinking a half gallon of milk. I found elephant dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottlinks

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt