Odd Warthog skull

TokkieM

AH fanatic
Joined
Aug 4, 2012
Messages
992
Reaction score
1,615
Location
Sweden/South Africa
Media
63
Articles
3
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
South Africa,Zimbabwe,Sweden
I have been looking at this Warthog skull in my collection for a while now,not a huge pig by any standards but this old Boar must have one hell of a story to tell.

Looks like he had a pretty bad skull fracture at sometime or another that split his skull bone pretty bad. I would have thought it could have been a wire from a snare,but I know it was not as there was no wire or external marks on the hide to show a snare had trapped the old warrior at some stage. Sure he had a pretty bad headache for a while.

Sometimes we should appreciate not only the death of a trophy,but also the life of a cunning, battle worn old warrior.

IMAG0439.jpg
IMAG0440.jpg
 
Spike the more I compare it to a normal skull the more I think it was someone who shot it with a light caliber rifle or at a angle that the bullet just did not penetrate. If you have a look at the top of the regrowth you pretty much see a deformation of bone growth kind of like a crater in the centre of the head. The standard two holes in the front of the skull are also missing,fused in the fracture.
 
Neat skull.

Looks like he healed up pretty well.
 
Spike the more I compare it to a normal skull the more I think it was someone who shot it with a light caliber rifle or at a angle that the bullet just did not penetrate. If you have a look at the top of the regrowth you pretty much see a deformation of bone growth kind of like a crater in the centre of the head. The standard two holes in the front of the skull are also missing,fused in the fracture.

yup sounds feasible
 
that story i recon would be worth a listen
Great old boar on any scale

Shot Shot
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,274
Messages
1,571,276
Members
169,326
Latest member
DenisBraun
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top