Nosler Partition - Efficacy and Defects

I’ve had good luck with Partitions. But I have questioned whether a 260 gr Partition in my 375 would smash through a big bear’s shoulder bone. On the one had I like them because they seem to penetrate well while making a big hole through the vitals. I’m hesitant to try A-Frames out of concern they’d make a smaller hole and only offer an advantage if they hit a bit bone (not as often as you’d think). Thoughts? I guess I could try a 300 gr Partition and see what happens. For reference my current load will punch through a grizzly but stop on the far side just under the hide.

If your optimum shooting distance is 150 or closer, you'll still get appreciable expansion out of AF.

@sheephunterab
Not trying to be a smartarse mate. Everything you said is correct except it was 1948 for the partition when John Nosler started the company.

And not forgetting that the John Nosler was reinventing the wheel, as the H-Mantel, which has a very similar design, predates the NP by at least 10/15 years. The H-Mantel has a partition, although not a full partition. Both are designed to expand very quickly, partially fragment and keep on going.

Both have been refined over the years and both remain popular today. Perhaps because they work ?

I’ve had good luck with Partitions. But I have questioned whether a 260 gr Partition in my 375 would smash through a big bear’s shoulder bone. On the one had I like them because they seem to penetrate well while making a big hole through the vitals. I’m hesitant to try A-Frames out of concern they’d make a smaller hole and only offer an advantage if they hit a bit bone (not as often as you’d think). Thoughts? I guess I could try a 300 gr Partition and see what happens. For reference my current load will punch through a grizzly but stop on the far side just under the hide.
100% of my A-frames out of .375HH doubled in size with perfect musrhooms and had 98% weight retention. ALL. ALL circumstances. Can't think of a better bullet that has a lead core.

It has been said before on this forum...if you don't know what you're likely to run into on a given hunt, Partition covers all bases well.

It is the Jack-of-all-trades, like 30-06 for rifles.

i take a different approack.
the partition is very good at what it is good at, and that is not a lot and definitely not at pushing a calibre upwards.
if i am wanting to carry a do all bullet it is the swift.
they open well on smaller species, yet carry on through bigger ones.
and when they do they make a wider hole than a partition with the nose blown off.
i use 140 gn partitions in 280 rem for things up to fallow deer which are mostly susceptable to shock.
and 160s in the 7stw for the same job.
these animals do not have big bones.
it is my suspicion that partitions were designed primarily as deer bullets for american species and conditions, which they do well.
but no better than swift, and in some cases not as good as sierra.
the problem with nosler is that some gun writers jumped on the bandwaggon and talked a lot of crock and people believed them and urban myths were formed.
bruce.

JMO&E, but I have had my best experiences with Partitions at lower velocities. Examples are the 180 grain in the 30-06 and the 165 grain in the 308. I used 180s in my 300 WM on my first Africa trip on PG. As usual the front 40% disappeared on the heavier game, ie blue wildebeest, kudu and zebra. I would just prefer to have more bullet for more penetration. Thus I went to only taking my 375 H&H. Also, you just never know, even in high fenced places, what will show up.
A-Frames and Barnes almost always have given deeper penetration in my experience.
Although Dr Kevin Robertson in his book, “The Perfect Shot” stated that the one place he would suggest using the Nosler Partition on DG would be on lion. If I ever hunt lion again, that will be what I use...300 grain Partition.

ridgewalker,
maybe the 300 gn 375 is a better bullet than the 210 gn 338 i hit a pig anling toward me on the shoulder blade.
if it were a lion i would not be annoying you now.
the next shot was similarly placed after it (luckily) ran around a lignum bush before coming again.
it was a 200 gn speer and instant death.
when those noses blow off the bullets change direction in the animal in very unpredictable ways.
bruce.

Bruce, Ive never had a 338, but i suspect the velocity is pretty high with the 210 grain bullet. That is what i have found using Partitions in my 300 WM. I just don't think they are tough enough for high velocity. The factory Federal 300 grain Partition 375 H&H runs only 2,450 fps. I think that is closer to the original design requirements. Just my thoughts.

@rookhawk
John Nosler designed them to be better than the standard cup and core. This he did very well for cartridges of the time. They worked well with this cartridges like the 30 ought six and 150grain 270s,257 Roberts and others in the sub 2,900 fps. They were not designed for the magnum craze and experienced failures at the higher speeds. Kept within the original velocity parameters they did what they were supposed to do.
Bob
Maybe that is why I have had good luck with them. Most of my reloads run 2400 to 2800 fps.

my 9.3x64 usage with 286 gn partitions started life at 2600 and a bit, so at striking range less than 2600 fps.
at closer and longer range they were just not the killers i had hoped.
bruce.

ridgewalker,
maybe the 300 gn 375 is a better bullet than the 210 gn 338 i hit a pig anling toward me on the shoulder blade.
if it were a lion i would not be annoying you now.
the next shot was similarly placed after it (luckily) ran around a lignum bush before coming again.
it was a 200 gn speer and instant death.
when those noses blow off the bullets change direction in the animal in very unpredictable ways.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
That's why I like the accubonds and woodleigh PPSP. Both expand well and drive deep and retained weight is similar to or better than the partition.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg