Noob with many questions here

the old fart that owns the place lets no one hunt in there. (we meaning me and my ph)

...you have a f'ing death wish!

lets just say u have a lot to learn and africa is a different beast.

I can tell you this.

if you want to do a tented wilderness hunt your a f'ing idiot.

The owner let's you(and your PH) hunt there and you refer to him as an old fart....
You have no respect.

A new member asks about a Old traditional tented hunt, similar to what was done a 100 years ago and you call him "a F'ing idiot"!!

You need a reality check.

I personally find this sort of reply and remarks rude, uncalled for and unacceptable!

It is one thing being straightforward or blunt in a response but it is an entirely different thing being obnoxious(meaning-annoying or objectionable due to being a showoff or attracting undue attention to oneself and rude. Very unpleasant or offensive)

I doubt that you would be man enough to apologise for these uncalled for remarks.

Thanks for your no b.s reply I can respect that and I'm the first to admit I have much to learn and am old enough to know you learn more from listening then talking.
I am just at the very preliminary stages of planning and have much to consider.

Very mature response.

I doubt I am capable of that under the same circumstance.

The owner let's you(and your PH) hunt there and you refer to him as an old fart....
You have no respect.

A new member asks about a Old traditional tented hunt, similar to what was done a 100 years ago and you call him "a F'ing idiot"!!

You need a reality check.

I personally find this sort of reply and remarks rude, uncalled for and unacceptable!

It is one thing being straightforward or blunt in a response but it is an entirely different thing being obnoxious(meaning-annoying or objectionable due to being a showoff or attracting undue attention to oneself and rude. Very unpleasant or offensive)

I doubt that you would be man enough to apologise for these uncalled for remarks.

@IvW i rather liked it stylistically. It makes it more hilarious for us, the readers, while easier for the less experienced to detect as utterly implausible. If the grammar and politeness were affixed, many would take the advice as credible! ;)

well the way i see it is that when someone talks about driving their vehicles off a cliff and thinks it sounds like a good idea its usually a good idead to let them know their crazy.

i also have no clue at which point i ever said i was a respectful person. im quite the opposite.

in addition you speak to me like i claim to be mature? well that i am not! i am about the most immature person you will probably ever meet. im quite proud of that fact.

quite frankly i live in a bubble and sometimes my goal in life is to get on this website and see if i can find someone with half a brain that can be riled up rather quickly. lately this site has sucked, until you came along.

well the way i see it is that when someone talks about driving their vehicles off a cliff and thinks it sounds like a good idea its usually a good idead to let them know their crazy.

i also have no clue at which point i ever said i was a respectful person. im quite the opposite.

in addition you speak to me like i claim to be mature? well that i am not! i am about the most immature person you will probably ever meet. im quite proud of that fact.

quite frankly i live in a bubble and sometimes my goal in life is to get on this website and see if i can find someone with half a brain that can be riled up rather quickly. lately this site has sucked, until you came along.

Sarcastic wit and hyperbole are not threatening to most on here. Nor is coarse speak. Nor is differing opinions anchored by solid personal experiences or data that differs from other data points.

However, in your post you had no supporting data, it did not appear you had strength of expertise of what you were speaking and others with genuine expertise like TMS found your claims unfounded.

Normally, that would just result in a few snippy remarks, a chuckle, and a move on down the forums.

The reason you'll find people so ready to pile on you is that your claims while unfounded, cause harm to professionals that earn their livings taking people on camp and fly tent safaris safely each year. Your words cause fear, uncertainty and doubt into the uninformed that results in harm to the revenues of many quality Outfitters that manage risk, are always prepared and make remote hunts a safe reality for so many.

So that's the crux of it. I don't mind that you're coarse or impolite about a generous landowner that lets you hunt his African land and harvest its game. Be coarse, it may get back to the generous soul and let them know who you are and how you really value them.

@IvW please elaborate on your enjoyable wild experiences for the benefit of the Original Post. I'm sure he'd like to hear about all the options that meet his requirements and the rest of would enjoy listening in.

I will try to give some input regarding and hope Canadanoob can find something helpful.

First of all, just to clarify-ALL hunting and conservation areas in SA are fenced some or other way, even the 2000000 Hectare Kruger park is fenced. This however does not need to detract in any way from your hunting experience.

There are many places where you can have a hunt of a lifetime, all depends on how you approach it and how you hunt.

I will not refer to Luxury Tented Safaris here as this is not what the OP had in mind. Rather basic tented hunting camp.

I will split it up in two.
Our own yearly hunting excursion and similar for clients.

We do one or two hunts per year as family and some friends mainly because we love hunting, being in the bush, enjoying nature and of course we love the meat. For fresh meat, biltong(jerky-just better) and sausage.

These hunts take place on a large property(last number of years in Limpopo) of approximately 30 000 acres.
The property belongs to a grand old Lady who is now well into her 90's.
She also farms some beef cattle on the one section of the property but this however does not detract from the hunt and in some cases is beneficial.(explanation later).

We prefer to camp when we hunt. We have what we call Canvas Gazeebos(which basically looks like a rectangular tent) that we pitch and use as a kitchen dining area, another smaller one is used for shade or to sit under if the weather turns a bit bad.
We use fold up table for having our dinner(I hate trying to eat with a plate on my lap).We then have canvas dome tents to sleep in.
The toilet consists of a hole dug in the ground, fitted with a wooden branch frame and a proper toilet seat fitted to the top.
For the shower we use a upright stainless steel portable water heater which works of LP gas. A pop up shower cubicle rounds out the shower.
Each tent has a fold up wash basin for washing your face and brushing your teeth.
For other hot water requirements we use a stainless steel beer keg that has a tap fitted straight in the fire.

An open fire is where most of the cooking is done. The big Gazeebo has two fold up tables ina L shape on the inside which forms the kitchen, complete with a two plate gas burner.

A 140 ltr 220/12v freezer ensures we never run out of ice and cold drinks and our food supplies that need freezing are kept in there. Drinking water we normally take with in large 20ltr containers. Camp water is replenished from the skinning shed, for washing, showering etc.

This basically gives us all we need.

Now the nicest part is that you pitch your camp where you want to. You can change locations for every hunt if you like. We have chosen a spot under some huge Baobab trees, which is also not too far from a natural spring fountain.

There is nothing more relaxing than sitting outside at the campfire enjoying nature and hunting like this. It just does not compare to staying in a lodge. We also much prefer having to cook dinner over an open fire.

I have hunted in many fancy lodges, one thing I hate is some places that make you sit in a wide circle around the campfire, each with his own chair and small table and you get served dinner like this. You cannot talk to whoever is next to you and is very impersonal. Not for me.
You wake up in the morning to the smell of smoke from the fire and a fresh pot of coffee bubbling on the same fire.
The animals.
Although the property has a vast number of huntable species, it is not set up for your normal foreign trophy hunter. Meaning there is no lodge, only very basic hunting camp. She mainly caters for some local meat hunters and because it is not the sole income derived from the property, she makes enough money for her needs just the way it is.

The local meat hunters tend to hunt female animals and the smaller species.(mainly Kudu cows, Blue Wildebeest cows, Impala, Duiker.) Some trophy animals are taken during these hunts but mainly not. This means that there are many old male animals available in a large number of different species: Eland, Gemsbuck, Giraffe, Zebra, Kudu, Impala, Duiker, Steenbuck, Bush pig, Warthog, Waterbuck, Nyala, Sable, Blue wildebeest etc.

Only one group at a time permitted to hunt, so if you have booked it you are the only people there.

Not catering for trophy hunters, the animal prices are very reasonable.
Prices for female animals(even Gemsbuck..) are lower than for males.
There are no higher fees for more inches. A kudu bull is a kudu bull.
Nocturnal animals that command high prices on trophy safari properties are very cheap and plentifull as the meat hunters have no interest in them.
With the permits in place for the ones that need them, the following can be hunted.
Brown Hyena, Caracal, Jackal, African Wild Cat, African Civet, Genet, Honey Badger, Serval etc.

Skinning shed facilities and meat cooler we use the same as we would if staying in the basic hunting camp.

There is no electricity in this tented camp, weak phone reception, no air conditioners or hair dryers etc. but this is the way we like it, getting away from it all as far as possible. Being as close to nature as possible.
We also hunt a bigger property 45 000 acres east of Windhoek in Namibia, same set-up. Basic hunting camp or tented.

I have to emphasize that this type of hunt is not for everybody.

We do it and would not change it for a luxury lodge.

I have taken clients on such hunts and they have loved it because that is the way they want it.

You get a proper bed to sleep on by the way.

There are mainly two types of clients who like these hunts.
The ones who would like to have a more basic old fashioned type of safari and like to get involved in helping around the camp and thus feel more part of the hunt and then the ones who actually cannot afford the "normal" safari rates. These hunts work out a lot cheaper than a safari in a higher end lodge set-up.

We have booked four hunts for this year 1 in each month- May, June, July and August. I will take some pictures and post them with regards to the camp and the animals after we have been.

A proper luxury tent safari on the other hand will cost a fortune.

With regards to the weather. It can get hot in Limpopo, so choose your months during mid hunting season May, June, July, Aug-the closer to the middle the colder it is. Take care however that it can get very cold at times and it is a different cold to what you are use to.

I hope this has given you some insight and may be of some benefit to you.

I forgot to add-yes you may encounter some strange night animals such as mentioned before. But you will probably only see the tracks the next morning. You have a bigger chance of getting killed in the trip to the hunting area due to a MVA than from any wild animal you will encounter on your safari.

I wish you good hunting and good luck, I am sure you will find what you are looking for.

I loved @IvW 's description.

I consider "luxury fly camp" to be defined as what he said, plus more staff, plus a few more tents, plus a few more cooking implements and a generator. Not much different.

Regarding fences, he is totally correct. All of RSA is fenced. If it were not, then very brief hunting seasons would be permissible. It is also well known that fences in remote areas are not well maintained. Hilly terrain results in areas animals come and go for exchange of stock often. Other places have rivers as boundaries and animals come and go when seasons permit crossing the dry or shallow river bed.

On the other hand, RSA has some really shoddy small ranches with animals wearing tags in their ears and regular deliveries of game from auctions.

With RSA, you've got to do more homework than I have done to find what you really want. Many honest people on here would tell you where to live under the stars like @IvW does on his hunts.

At least this reply clears a few things up ...disrespectful...immature....

What does driving a vehicle off a cliff have to do with a tented safari? My half a brain cannot put the two together.

How people describe their benefactor landowners speaks volumes:

@IvW "The property belongs to a grand old Lady"

@tap "the old fart that owns the place lets no one hunt in there. (we meaning me and my ph)"

Hmm.

I will try to give some input regarding and hope Canadanoob can find something helpful.

First of all, just to clarify-ALL hunting and conservation areas in SA are fenced some or other way, even the 2000000 Hectare Kruger park is fenced. This however does not need to detract in any way from your hunting experience.

There is most definitely free-range, non-fenced hunting in South Africa. More than most people realize.

There is most definitely free-range, non-fenced hunting in South Africa. More than most people realize.

Elaborate: you mean high fence that is dilapidated but still "officially fenced" so they can hunt year round?

Or unfenced in Limpopo or KZN where they must adhere to limited hunting seasons as the ranch doesn't own the "wild game".

Fenceless RSA!
fenceless.jpg

Elaborate: you mean high fence that is dilapidated but still "officially fenced" so they can hunt year round?

Or unfenced in Limpopo or KZN where they must adhere to limited hunting seasons as the ranch doesn't own the "wild game".

We hunted numerous farms on Eastern Cape that have never been high fenced.

We hunted numerous farms on Eastern Cape that have never been high fenced.

I believe you. But how, under what scenario?

Limited wild hunting season option, or the usual where they do a half ass fence job hoping inspector won't look up the hill where the fence is missing to save money!?

They have "never" been high fenced and never had captive game so I'm not certain what there would be to inspect.

They have "never" been high fenced and never had captive game so I'm not certain what there would be to inspect.

Would the game law gurus of RSA step in?

To my knowledge, you don't own game if you don't fence your game. Unfenced game is "the people's property of the nation". Hunting seasons apply to unfenced game that are brief periods of time, not year round.

School me if I'm wrong? @BRICKBURN @CAustin others that know RSA better?

You could be right on that rook I don't know....I was just making the point that true free range hunting does still exist in much of South Africa.

Would the game law gurus of RSA step in?

To my knowledge, you don't own game if you don't fence your game. Unfenced game is "the people's property of the nation". Hunting seasons apply to unfenced game that are brief periods of time, not year round.

School me if I'm wrong? @BRICKBURN @CAustin others that know RSA better?

Correct, on the game ownership and fences. ie. CAE properties.

The hunting seasons are not really that short outside the CAE's. It is a hunting season, much like here at home. Species, quantity, open and closing dates.
Each province has it's own ordinances and the hunting seasons are posted every year.

Nothing about this stops an "international" hunter from hunting on these lands or within those seasons on "open farms".

I have hunted plenty of places that I had a tough time seeing the barbed wire fences at all.

There are a lot of unfenced plains game areas, but you won't find many big 5 areas that aren't fenced. SA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaniaMorfo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!