NO more Remington for me unless there's no other choice...

A Remington 700 BDL in 270 was my graduation present from High School in 1974. I killed a few deer with it. I sold it like a young idiot and still regret that to this day. Sometimes I feel like kicking myself in my own a$$ and would probably do it if anatomically possible. I'm sure others have made similar mistakes as well LOL.

Remington appears to be experiencing some quality control issues. Bought a model 700 Long range in a .300 win mag. Could get to 1.5 inch groups, but not better. A good gunsmith checked the barrel. In specs at both ends, but too much clearance in the middle. If you never shot over 200 yds then fine. Otherwise makes a good tomato stake.... The bolt was off enough that the lugs wouldn't fully engage so he had to take the bolt off and reweld it so that was correct. Then lap the lugs so the engage properly as well as true up the action ..... New barrel and it will shoot under 1/2 inch groups. Bruce

Our local gunsmith (master smith) has nothing good to say about the new remingtons. I own two and find them exceedingly fussy about ammo. The worst is a 700 SPS in 243. I had to stiffen and bed the stock, free float the barrel and even then it is fussy and inconsistent even with handloads. The 783 in 7mm mag is plain butt ugly, the bore is rough as guts and the sling mounts are molded in. But find ammo (won't shoot boattails) it likes and it will drive tacks and is as reliable as a train. Best group with 150 core-lokts 0.478". Would I buy another Remington, No. If you want a gun that shoots out of the box, Sako, Tikka, Savage are affordable. I just may restock and rebarrel my remingtons and make them customs. Seriously a 7mm is for long range and it won't shoot a boattail not much good. A gun has to be consistent, reliable, accurate and shoot a variety of ammo to be a useful hunting rifle.

my $0.02

I am currently living in Germany (American) and only started seriously hunting about 4 years ago. I have nt gotten "in to" Blaser but I am a serious Heym guy. I wish they were more popular in the US, they are terrific rifles. I am speaking of the Bolt Action and O/U doubles (and Drillings/BBFs) not the big game SS doubles. I have two SR21s, an SR30, two Model 26, one drilling and two Model 22(both .222 Rem under 20GA)

If you can find an SR 21 or 30 they are fantastic, accurate and reliable rifles. I have been to the factory several times and everything is fitted by hand. It is pretty amazing to see a sop full of master gunsmiths crafting thee rifles.

I have also had very god results with Barnes and Gecco Ammo. I also like Federal for what it is worth.

Buy a Heym, you won't regret it!

I am currently living in Germany (American) and only started seriously hunting about 4 years ago. I have nt gotten "in to" Blaser but I am a serious Heym guy. I wish they were more popular in the US, they are terrific rifles. I am speaking of the Bolt Action and O/U doubles (and Drillings/BBFs) not the big game SS doubles. I have two SR21s, an SR30, two Model 26, one drilling and two Model 22(both .222 Rem under 20GA)

If you can find an SR 21 or 30 they are fantastic, accurate and reliable rifles. I have been to the factory several times and everything is fitted by hand. It is pretty amazing to see a sop full of master gunsmiths crafting thee rifles.

I have also had very god results with Barnes and Gecco Ammo. I also like Federal for what it is worth.

Buy a Heym, you won't regret it!

+ 1 on the Heym

This is what I don't understand: people pay good money for a Remington product, and right from the get-go, they have problems with it. Then they are going to the gunsmith and having them do barrel work and stock work, etc, etc. Why throw that money away on a crappy product? Why not just dump the gun and get something that will perform as advertised? I know you're not going to get full value of the gun back, and I know that gun stores usually have an "all sales final" policy, but why dump more money into a substandard gun that will always be....well......substandard?

Yes I never understood with any product, buying it then immediately having to modify/correct what should have worked from the factory

Reactions: BWH
This is what I don't understand: people pay good money for a Remington product, and right from the get-go, they have problems with it. Then they are going to the gunsmith and having them do barrel work and stock work, etc, etc. Why throw that money away on a crappy product? Why not just dump the gun and get something that will perform as advertised? I know you're not going to get full value of the gun back, and I know that gun stores usually have an "all sales final" policy, but why dump more money into a substandard gun that will always be....well......substandard?

In my case, I was dumb. I bought it in May and had a brown bear hunt in Sept. I could've sent it back to Remington to get fixed or returned it (I had a 20% off coupon at Dick's Sporting Goods and paid $600 for it. I should've just taken my 500 Jeffery, but was worried about all the rain (it rained all day every day but the last day of the hunt). In the end, I have $1100 into it and it's a good rifle. I wouldn't do it again.

One of our current gun writers (sorry, I can't remember who to credit) says its the "out the door it goes " syndrome. No matter the quality, just sent it out the door. Sad in this day and age when other manufacturers get, some don't. All Weatherbys are three shot at the factory, and you get the target.

I had one round of the same thing happen with guess what, the same caliber!!!!! Must have been the same lot. It looked just like that one. I still use some Rem ammo and components, brass mostly. Never have used their primers and rarely their bullets except factory fodder. Had good luck with the 700 rifles over the years, no complaints. My very first big game rifle was an ADL 700 in .308 Win, back in the mid '60s. Carried, hunted with and shot that rifle for many years with nary an issue.
@sestoppelman
Back in the 60s they actually had quality control and people took pride in their work. Very different nowdays.

i load my own ammo, but even then i check every cartridge prior to loading into the rifle, including shaking to make sure there is powder in the cartridge. just habit i picked up after capstick wrote in one of his books about firing a cartridge that ended up having no powder. bad news, especially on a DG hunt. as far as remington ammo is concerned, im not really a big fan since ive since been loading premium bullets. but remington 700s and their shotgun line is just fine in my experience.

Well, they are under new management now, the ammo side anyway. Hopefully they improve and prosper for many years to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg