NO more Remington for me unless there's no other choice...

Longwalker

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
After experiencing numerous problems with Remington M700 rifles over the years, and poor quality rimfire ammunition that was very erratic and some without powder, and some component bullets for my .222 that had 9mm bullets mixed in with them, I found this today in a box of Remington core-lockt rifle ammunition while trying our my new Sako 7x64. I think Remington Quality Control inspectors could do better! I have never had similar problems with any European manufactured ammunition or firearms. Remington seems to be in a race to the bottom.
IMG_3118_zpsgzy8awlj.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3118_zpsgzy8awlj.jpg
    IMG_3118_zpsgzy8awlj.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 920
Iv'e seen reversed primers but nothing like that

I had one round of the same thing happen with guess what, the same caliber!!!!! Must have been the same lot. It looked just like that one. I still use some Rem ammo and components, brass mostly. Never have used their primers and rarely their bullets except factory fodder. Had good luck with the 700 rifles over the years, no complaints. My very first big game rifle was an ADL 700 in .308 Win, back in the mid '60s. Carried, hunted with and shot that rifle for many years with nary an issue.

I don't reload. And, stick almost exclusively to Federal. It has shot well in my 30-06, 7mm-08, 223 and 375 H&H. I have Hornady for my 404 jeff, but I'm mostly using up the DGS I bought at a steel to practice. When I use up the boxes, I'll have my brother load up something for me.

Glad you didn't fire that - not sure what would have happened.

Joh

i will NEVER use Remington primers again! i had one of their large rifle magnum primers rupter burning a pit into my brand new rifles bolt face.

ive used their brass before and its "ok" but i generally steer clear of Remington products.

-matt

Matt I had the same thing happen a few years ago with another primer brand. Had at least 4 let go in a couple of different guns and did the same thing, pitted the bolt face on the one with a slightly softer steel, didn't hurt the other with better steel. I switched to CCI primers in the one rifle, and got 5000 new primers from the maker of the bad ones for free, been using them ever since with no issues. They said they could not ever establish what went wrong but acknowledged that something did. As to firing the ugly round above, I imagine as long as it chambered it could be fired safely enough, though I chose not to fire mine either. I tore it down and threw the brass away.

I've generally had good luck with Remington products until recently.....bought some 20 gauge promo loads that the primers pierced in on 20%of the loads.....bought some Winchester promo loads and had no issues. I prefer Remington or Federal brass over Winchester, and prefer Remington hulls for my shotshell target loads. I've used their .22, 6.5, and 30 cal "bulk" bullets without any issues, but my friend bought some .45 cal bullets for his .458 Win. Mag and most of them were undersized.
.22 rimfire? I've had issues with some of their cheaper "bulk" .22LR ammo, but then again I've had issues with Federal and Winchester bulk (more so with Winchester.......to the point I won't even buy the stuff with the shortages we're faced with today).
Unfortunately, Remington is no longer "Remington" of old..........got an 11oo and a model 11 that are still going strong; after seeing what they are offering now for shotguns (mostly plastic), I think I'll just stick with the "classics".....................I've also heard complaints re: Marlin rifles after Remington bought that company. Somebody at the top needs to be fired!!!!

Funny about brass. I prefer Win for most rifle and pistol shooting, but often cant find it and go with Starline for pistol and usually Rem for rifle if that's all I can find. Federal is good for handgun, but except for .308, I usually prefer something else for rifle. I like S&B brass but admit its prone to early neck splits. Hornady brass is usually good but I recently had some go south after one loading and when I asked Hornady about it and showed them pictures of the brass, they said I had stored it next to ammonia bore cleaners and caused the damage myself! Well, if that were true, (and it isn't!), I would have had similar issues with all the other brass I had stored in the same vicinity, but I didn't. It was bad brass but they would not own up to it. Oy!

I think mistakes happen. I think every one needs to check every round when they take it out of the box....but Remington screwed up here and owes you a box of ammo.

Yeah good luck with that! A while back I bought a brand new R1 1911 from them in .45ACP. They were running a promo for free ammo with purchase of ANY R1. So I filled out the online app for the promo ammo and sent it in. Got an email back saying my R1 was not eligible for the ammo as it was not on the list. Long story short, after several back and forth emails and sending them receipts and verification, and explaining to them that the word ANY means just that, ANY R1! They finally agreed and shipped me 4 boxes of the promo ammo. Took some doing though!

Remington of today is not the Remington of old.......I almost wonder if it, like S& W, was bought for it's name and will later be sold off. I have heard a litany of complaints on various hunting/shooting/reloading websites re: poor quality control, poor products, not standing behind guarantees, etc.
I really don't get it...................you're going to piss off the one group that is your bread and butter?:confused: Maybe they think they will survive on police/military contracts, like S&W.......but then again, I doubt it.(n)

It seems more and more today. Companies are buying one company after another....so they are spreading their risk and in some way creating a monopoly.
I just found out the outdoor channel and the sportsman channel are owned by the same company....I think that same company owns a lot of the hunting magazines too.
So unless someone starts a new company up that can some how compete against a multi-company corporation...you are stuck with what you have.

I shoot 1,000+ of Remington Shot Gun shells every year.
Issues that i have observed.
Shells where the Primers that do not go off... Dud Shells - this is ugly in competition....
Shells marked different that the box purchased... like flare in a box of STS 2 3/4" - 2 3/4 dram - 7 1/2 shot.
some Shells that will stick in a clean chamber and have to be driven out. Some flats will have almost 1 per box.

I have known different Remington reps and have taken the above shells to them along with the box it came out of and have never received a response.

However to be fair, Winchester and Federal shells also have issues.

Like: Bases that are split , wads in sideways, bulged shells, no primers, primers in upside down, failed crimps-shot leaking out, poor ignition-wad sticks in your barrel.

Quality control is lacking and it is important to look at each shell prior to loading or going on a hunting trip. while traveling to a trap shoot i have way more flats of ammo than i need for the competition.

I live not to far from Detroit, and this kind of reminds me of the U.S. auto companies back in the late 60's/early 70s........manufacturers and dealers didn't really give a damn about their customers:

Car is a lemon? Screw you.......
Car doesn't run properly? Screw you............
Car problem doesn't fall under warranty (or extended warranty)? Screw you...............
Having problems with the financing? Screw you..................
Shoddy workmanship when taken in for repairs or preventive maintenance? SCREW YOU!!!!!!

They figured that they had everyone over a barrel................until the Japanese manufacturers started marketing here in the U.S. Cars gave great mileage, dealers gave great service.......only problem was sometimes getting parts. Started out slow at first, but when word got around, and the Arab oil embargo hit hard, people started to wise up............the rest is history, and the U.S. automakers still haven't fully recovered, IMHO (just take a look at what inner city Detroit looks like today!:eek::confused:)

There are other companies out there with good products: Fiocchi, Rio, Sellier & Bellot, Geco, PMC, Privi Partisan, etc.....the list goes on. Currently they only make the more "popular" calibers (.30/30, 270, 30-06, 300 Win mag, etc), but if they ever decided to tool up for some rounds that the "big boys" are currently exclusively marketing, and make a few limited production runs, I bet that Remington/Federal/Winchester would end up on the losing end BIG TIME!!!! People don't forget crappy merchandise/service......and they usually go somewhere else if they can.

I think that there are enough websites out there with complaints such as this, so the U.S. companies better get off their dead asses and start responding with better products/service/quality control, or those who don't remember the past are condemned to repeat it!:cautious:

Remington 870 had machine marks in the receiver that caused it to jam. Remington 798 had several issues, the silliest was the barrel band that fell off. Got crap/hostile customer service. Took it to a gunsmith and found out it was a barrel band designed for a shotgun, not the tapered barrel of a rifle!

The popularity of CZ and other brands on this website has not gone unnoticed by me. Do you think Remington has noticed?

I've generally had good luck with Remington products until recently.....bought some 20 gauge promo loads that the primers pierced in on 20%of the loads.....bought some Winchester promo loads and had no issues. I prefer Remington or Federal brass over Winchester, and prefer Remington hulls for my shotshell target loads. I've used their .22, 6.5, and 30 cal "bulk" bullets without any issues, but my friend bought some .45 cal bullets for his .458 Win. Mag and most of them were undersized.
.22 rimfire? I've had issues with some of their cheaper "bulk" .22LR ammo, but then again I've had issues with Federal and Winchester bulk (more so with Winchester.......to the point I won't even buy the stuff with the shortages we're faced with today).
Unfortunately, Remington is no longer "Remington" of old..........got an 11oo and a model 11 that are still going strong; after seeing what they are offering now for shotguns (mostly plastic), I think I'll just stick with the "classics".....................I've also heard complaints re: Marlin rifles after Remington bought that company. Somebody at the top needs to be fired!!!!

Exactly....I've had a Marlin collection for quite some time. When Remington took them over the Marlin rifles were pathetic. I've seen bolts and levers hard to move, I've seen barrel droop so bad they had to be rebarreled, and have seen front sights not in line. Most firearm mfgs today don't make what they used to, I have a Remington 1100 made in 1975 never fired I wouldn't sell and old browning A-5's as well. The new Marlins sure make it easy to sell my old but new ones. The new Remlins are a LITTLE better but still not what Marlins used to be.

The popularity of CZ and other brands on this website has not gone unnoticed by me. Do you think Remington has noticed?

From the gripes I've been hearing from other sites, the answer to that question would be a resounding "NO"!!! These complaints are not new; they have been on the boards for several years......to think that Remington is unaware of the problems is kind of niave; either they don't know how to fix their issues, or they just don't give a damn because it would cost too much.......I happen to subscribe to the second theory.
I have an inexpensive Interarms Mk X in .30-06; I'll never sell the rifle, as it was a gift from my mom on my 17th birthday. It's always shot true and has never given me a reason to curse it. I took it to S.A. last year and it took 4 of the 5 big game animals I took on my safari.
With the inexpensive, but good, rifles like the Ruger American and T/C venture coming on to the market, at impressive prices, Remington better reinvent itself and start taking heed to the complaints, or they are going to be sitting on the sidelines going "WTF????? Wa happened?o_O"

I have always been a big fan/supporter of Remington firearms/ammunition/components, but for the past 5 years or so, it's getting more and more difficult to remain so, esp. with the crap that they keep dumping on the shooting public anymore.

Why I don't buy any Remington products. With their move South perhaps quality will improve like Winchesters did.

We know how to build guns in the south LOL. Even with whats being made now, my vote is for the Winchester M70 Safari and Super grades as far as getting your monies worth. CZ also. I've always liked Ruger rifles, but the old ones. Out of the three, Remington, Ruger, Winchester I'm a Winchester guy. I guess that's why I bought a lot of older Remingtons, Rugers, Winchesters out of pawn shops. If you look long and hard, you can find these guns like new for little money compared to new ones.

My favorite rifle to this day is a Rem 700 BDL in 270 I bought in the late 60s. It still shoots nickel sized groups at 100 yards, and loves my load of a 150g Partition at 3000 fps. It's accounted for many elk, black bear, deer and two grizzlies. I gave it to my son about 5 years ago. That being said, I bought a Rem 700 XCR II in 375 H&H in April of 2011. It wouldn't feed Remington factory ammunition! I took it to my gunsmith who rechambered it to 375 Weatherby, welded the bolt handle on, replaced the rear sight with an NECG and put a Sako extractor on it. I used it on my brown bear hunt and it's a good rifle now, but I would never buy another new Remington. QA has gone down the tubes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg