Newbie vs .505 Gibbs

flyfishdoc

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI Life Member

Hello all, this world is all new to me. have acquired a few rifles over time but was intrigued by the 505. Afraid mostly base on reports of the horrible recoil attributed to it. So I had to find out for myself. attached is my maiden shot with my recent acquisition- a .505 Gibbs built on a CZ 550 action Cloward custom.
I was surprised honestly and pleasantly so. reminded me really of shooting a 3.5 inch 12 gauge turkey load. Not something I would want to shoot all day. But not a monster either. Load was a Norma PH 600 grain Woodleigh. which was all I could source. and yes I hit well on the black ring.
My only point in uploading this video is for newbies like me....something not so over the top like most on YT.
Yes Im a big guy but mid 60s with Parkinson's. YMMV
Thanks for all the info and support I find her on AH!

Excellent shooting and welcome to AH !

You fired that .505 Gibbs like a champ. Well done and welcome to the forums.

.505 Gibbs is one of my favorite calibers of all time. I still dream of owning a .505 Gibbs custom built on a Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser action by Joe Smithson someday.

Here you go 3 of them.
20220807_135723.jpg

As a fellow 505 Gibbs owner and enthusiast welcome to the fun side of shooting/hunting!

HH

Now the gun needs to realize it’s purpose in life. It is good Buffalo medicine.

Kiwi505

Thats damn unfortunate , my uncle too did sell his Purdeys & Boss & co. 2 # of .12 bore shotguns due to some financial constraints, was too young & penniless to buy them back , exquisite firearms , still remember the fabolous engravings on them .....

I like the smile on your face. Welcome to AH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WandaDetwi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross