Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
NWTF/RMEF/NRA/ECC/DSC/SCI/RMBHSF/WSF
Hunted
RSA/New Zealand/Botswana
FA32F57C-31A0-4921-B612-31C4FF8787D6.jpeg

New Zealand tahr, free-range, public land, no aircraft utilized, guided, South Island. Another fun, tough mountain hunt. 5/28/23.

1685433649944.jpeg

Typical mountain hunting terrain on the South Island. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

1685433778633.jpeg

These New Zealand mountain hunting guides are tough young men. I can’t keep up with them in the mountains. Slowly but surely…

1685433886229.jpeg

“We aren’t in Kansas anymore, Toto!” Wish I was 20 years younger and 20 lbs. lighter. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Congrats and thanks for sharing! NZ is beautiful and an amazing place to hunt!

Great trophy, incredible scenery, congrats :D Cheers:

There’s something special about hunting in the South Island

Beautiful animal, congrats!

Wow, looks like you had a real adventure! Great looking Tahr! I loved both my hunts in NZ. Fantastic accomplishment that you did it without the assistance of a helicopter.

Awesome mountain hunt! Great job getting it done. We dont need to be young again, just need persistance and dedication. Congrats on both!

Makes my knees hurt just looking at that grade. Congrats on the hunt.

Congratulations on a successful hunt! And on how it was conducted.

I know some people who returned from New Zealand a while back and I’ll just say that the description of their hunt and what their outfitter told them they do or were willing to do was not what I would call ethical or sportsmanlike.

I know some people who returned from New Zealand a while back and I’ll just say that the description of their hunt and what their outfitter told them they do or were willing to do was not what I would call ethical or sportsmanlike.
I guess you could say that, just like any other business, they are delivering what their customers want. If there was no demand then they wouldn’t offer the service. Just saying.

I guess you could say that, just like any other business, they are delivering what their customers want. If there was no demand then they wouldn’t offer the service. Just saying.
I realize that that is the reality of the matter but that doesn’t mean “it” should be done.

I intentionally didn’t go into detail but suffice to say that I believe the majority of members would strongly disapprove of what was related to me.

Anyways, I did not mean to derail the OP’s hunt report thread. My apologies

Congratulations. My tahr is my favorite trophy from New Zealand. Did you see many tahr? I’ve only read about planned culls. I don’t know what population looks like now.

Congratulations on a successful hunt! And on how it was conducted.

A walk in public land tahr hunt is as real hunt as you will find. It’s actually crazy to me there are so many animals in New Zealand when there are no hunting laws in place and everyone there hunts.

Congrats! Your pictures bring back fond memories of my Tahr hunt. I also appreciate that you hunted without the aid of a helicopter, much more rewarding in my opinion. NZ is hard to beat when it comes to hunting and touring. Great place to enjoy a couple weeks resetting the circuits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg