NEW ZEALAND: Red Stag Hunt With Kiwi Wilderness Safaris

One more post and probably the best one for everyone here.
Peter told me to bring a burlap duffle bag and I would be able to bring my trophies back with me. I went to our local army surplus store and got the biggest one they had. A 30x50 side zipper about $45. Good thing since the split antlers were 40+ inches after being split with the Arapawa Ram skull tied into it. I took a couple nylon straps to put around it one each direction going through the handles on the bag.
We cut small 3 inch pieces of garden hose and put them over the tips so they couldn't poke through the bag.
Peter and I went to the local NZ Ministry for Primary Industries and got a form. Certificate for Game Trophies Exported from NZ
The form cost $50NZ . The costumes people at the airport in Honolulu looked at it and anitialed and dated it and I was off to my next flight.
I am home and am sending the cape to Dennis today. Not the year and thousands of dollars it cost me on my last trip to SA.
Tom

That's awesome! How many days from shooting the animal to flying out of the country with it?

I'm going to have to ask my outfitter about this.

I shot it and the Ram on Wednesday Peter did all the prep on Thursday and by Friday at 4:00 PM we were getting the paper work done. They close at 5:00 Monday- Friday. We didn't fly out till Monday 12:30 AM but could have flown out Friday night but in the original plan that could have been a hunting day if I would have needed it.
Here is a bit trivia we got into Denver at 6:00 AM Monday????
Still trying to get caught up in sleep.
Tom

I also brought my stag back with me. Customs wanted to know if I had notified USF@W. I had tried. Then they asked if the capes/skull were professionally prepared and pushed me on through. Awfully nice to bring my trophies back with me. Bruce

I was curious if all the meat was salvaged from the two animals?

Yes they were up on getting it i just had some of the tenderloind from the Red Stag. I wasn't taking anything home.

That's awesome! How many days from shooting the animal to flying out of the country with it?

I'm going to have to ask my outfitter about this.

Which outfitter did you choose to go with? That's this year isn't it?

Yes they were up on getting it i just had some of the tenderloind from the Red Stag. I wasn't taking anything home.

How was the Stag? Did it taste at all like deer or elk?

How was the Stag? Did it taste at all like deer or elk

It was great tasting I would say more like elk.
Here is a look at it. I am more of a medium on a steak so I ate the two ends. Peter like it flinching when he ate it:). With all the rain the mushrooms were coming up every where so I picked a couple and these were made in the pan the tenderloin was done in.

IMG_7060.JPG
IMG_7061.JPG

Nicely done, most rutted up stags have a very strong taste, almost rank. A lot of guys will just sausage them. Having said that the worst tasting stag I ever shot was in spring.
In NZ there is no law requiring you to recover any meat. Also the meat cannot be sold (unless a lot of hurdles are jumped through beforehand)

That looks delicious!!

Which outfitter did you choose to go with? That's this year isn't it?

My wife and I will be hunting with BJ Holdsworth of Ample Hunting at the end of June. His operation is on the North Island, near Gisborne.

My wife and I will be hunting with BJ Holdsworth of Ample Hunting at the end of June. His operation is on the North Island, near Gisborne.

Very nice! I stumbled on his YouTube channel. Very exiting and well edited videos. I expect you will have a great time. I will also expect a hunt report when you get back. ;)

I was surprised at the ticket prices to get to NZ. Not as much as I had though they would have been. And for me, SF to Auckland is a direct flight... This ease of travel makes NZ a little more attractive.

Hi
My wife wanted me to say just in case that the SF Auckland flight is only a seasonal flight from July to April. It might change next year?
She is a flight attendant that is why I got to do my hunt:)

IMG_7511.JPG
Another report. I talked to Jody and before he got busy he made up three coasters for me that you can add to your sets or maybe later in the summer when he isn't so busy get him to make a Tahr, Fallow Deer etc. to go with these.
Tom

Bhfs300 we need to get together when you get these back. I need to see that thing in person! That is just an unreal stag!
Congratulations and thanks for sharing the report and pictures with us!

View attachment 183769 Another report. I talked to Jody and before he got busy he made up three coasters for me that you can add to your sets or maybe later in the summer when he isn't so busy get him to make a Tahr, Fallow Deer etc. to go with these.
Tom

Nice! I'm going to have to talk to Jody about making a NZ coaster set to compliment my Africa sets.

Think I have stayed in that hut many moons ago. Glad you had a good trip with Peter.

Cheers,
Mark.

IMG_7072.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark
What did you hunt with Peter?
I had a great experience I just wish it wouldn't have rained the whole time so I could have got a video of the huge Fallow Deer that we sat over for about an hour looking for a Red Stag.
Tom

I hunted chamois and Tahr with him like almost 20 years ago..... Hunted Chamois from that hut. No rain, 6 days of not a cloud in the sky in June.....I only have photo's on film as digital pics weren't around then.....

Cheers,
Mark.

Very nice! I stumbled on his YouTube channel. Very exiting and well edited videos. I expect you will have a great time. I will also expect a hunt report when you get back. ;)

I was surprised at the ticket prices to get to NZ. Not as much as I had though they would have been. And for me, SF to Auckland is a direct flight... This ease of travel makes NZ a little more attractive.
, I Lombok

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glorianab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg