New to Group 404 Jeffery Questions

Well looks like it’s going to be a stretch for me to keep. I can’t see buying a 3k+ rifle just to take to the range.

That being said looks like I will be trying to move this ammo along. I know I’m new but this was the only place I could find any info on what to do next so feel free to PM me I will share information and we can chat about a sale.

I’m thinking of first trying to move the lot for a deal. Like the 27 boxes for $5 a round total $1350 and we can discuss how to make the transfer happen.

I am in Southeast Georgia.

PM me with questions.
Thanks,
Mike

Just curious, I know I am a 509, 375, 275 classic guy…what is the mystique for the 404? Expensive and hard to find expensive ammo
I think because it has been around for a long time, and it is one of those calibers that just ticks all the boxes and does the job on DG without fuss or bother. Game wardens in Africa have used them on everything up to and including elephant, with the original loads of 400gr at 2150fps. Compared to other teeth-rattling calibers, this is a fairly mild load. More factory ammo and bullets are becoming available now which bodes well for this classic rifle.

You can do what I did, find a Win Mod 70 Supergrade in 300 RUM and rebarrel to 404 J. The RUM cartridge family is based off of the 404J.

If you wanted to go the economy route, you can find lots of Remington Mod 700s in 300 RUM for under $1000 and rebarrel.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 7.48.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 7.48.16 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 7.48.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 7.48.17 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 7.48.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-27 at 7.48.22 AM.png
    936.3 KB · Views: 27
PM sent

A rifle chambered in 404 will not be cheap. You might find one for $3000 in time but I’d bet money you won’t find one for less than $4500-6500. You could possibly find a MRC in that range….

A current production rifle in 404 starts at $12k
Actually I just Ed counted 7 on GI between $3500-$7500

Actually I just Ed counted 7 on GI between $3500-$7500
So you basically are cementing those numbers. With a deviation on the low end of $500 and high end of $1000

Just curious, I know I am a 509, 375, 275 classic guy…what is the mystique for the 404? Expensive and hard to find expensive ammo
This thread will give you the reason why the 404 Jeffery is so highly thought of and why it has held its position from its inception untill today and beyond

The least expensive way to a .404 is buying a Winchester 70 in .375 and having a top gunsmith do the work. Dennis Olsen did my conversion and it cycles beautifully. Metal work and a new barrel was less than or around $1000. I did add a nice piece of wood which raised the cost but no reason not to use the stock from the original 375. My son and I have taken a good handful of animals including 2 nice buffalo with it and besides the glamor of a .404 it is just a wonderful rifle. I can’t say enough, it shoots accurately, no noticeable recoil and a little extra ump on the other side.

@Moslizlo Respectfully, if I had that much ammunition, I'd figure out how to get a rifle. Selling the ammunition here without properly researching the round and the history is a mistake. You're heading down the road to a mistake in my opinion. Of course I'm just a lunatic that bought ammunition before I even had a rifle. I've been down your road. It's a very capable round and you have the opportunity to acquire something that could be an heirloom.
There are people who enjoy the .404 without ridiculous expense. Reloading makes it achievable.

Last edited:
Look for an Interarms or Whitworth rifle and te-barrel. Easy.

One of the most classic ones killed more game than 416 ever will although the latter stole the show. Best buffalo caliber ever and probably the best all round bolt action dg caliber for a visiting hunter. A lot better for dg than a 375(also one of my favourites)...

For me, other than it being an effective calibre for all game, it is pure nostalgia

if I might take you back 46 years along my timeline - I was a trainee game ranger amongst bushmen I could only aspire to emulate

their issued rifle was a 404 Jeff - mine was a Mk 4 303 Lee Enfield

To me, the 404 was the badge of honour

Buy a used Winchester 70 crf in 416 REM Mag and rebarrel to 404J on mag insert file off the two protrusions on outside of box allows 3 Down in mag bolt face may need to be opened up a little as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg