New Ruger RSM .458 Lott

That will be a huge deal for some RSM owner!!!!
Yes it would! I actually have a 416 Rigby with a couple very small cracks behind the tang... I glued them but a new stock could really trick it out!

i have just been looking ruger rsm up and i noticed some have the sling stud coming out of the wood on the fore end, and some have a barrel band for the sling. mine which was a .375 but rechambered and bored out to .458lott and barrel chopped to 21 inches has the sling stud coming out of the wood . just wondering what the difference is and any other changes ? i remember talking to paul as at one time ruger were thinking of buying rigbys, and they asked paul for some advice when they were designing the rsm for the .416 rigby, and one thing he said and told me they didnt do was make the mag capacity 4 rounds , i believe it takes 3?
IMG00624-20130804-2003.jpg

Last edited:
Mike the older ones starting with serial number 780- are like yours, that is a floating barrel band and it goes through the stock to keep it in place..... I have a Rigby version like that. The later ones, starting with serial number 750- (yea, Ruger follows no rhyme or reason with serial numbers!) have a real barrel band out front.

Truth of the matter is I had bought 2 right before going to Africa, they arrived at the FFL while I was gone and I picked them up and put them in the safe and have not gotten back to cleaning and firing them yet :E Blush: And I have another on the way that I just could not resist.

When I get time I'll dig mine all out and check capacities to report back, unless someone beats me to it. I think the 416 Rigby is 3, and the real pisser is that the one I have in 505 Gibbs only holds 2!

thanks for the info AB. cant you get a drop box extension made for the .505?
Mike I don't know but that would be great! I really don't know where to go for such a thing. But it would be cool to have that. Maybe with an elephant or buffalo engraved on it?

The CZ I have in 505 Gibbs is really tight to close the bolt on an empty chamber with 3 in the box... I was thinking the ting to do there would be to grind the follower a bit thinner? I already had sent it back to Triple River for feeding issues and I believe they took metal out on underside of the feed rails to allow that big fat cartridge to fit and hang under there better.

The RSM left the factory as a 416 Rigby and was customized to a 505 Gibbs, they even ground down the 416 label and rebranded it very nicely. @Velo Dog had researched it up in AK for me and found only 5 were done.

Hallo Gentleman

First off Shuter congratulation on your 458 Lott. I sincerely hope it will give you endless joy and a whole bunch of memories as it is a great cartage/gun combination. You might consider having the stock sanded and oiled as it seems from the photographs that underneath there is some truly beautiful wood just dying to come out to be caressed by your loving stare.

ActionBob I also have 4 Ruger RSM's with the 505 Gibbs topping off the range. I did Ackley my 375 H&H though. My 416 Rigby and 505 Gibbs has also got the floating barrel band as well as a normal barrel band. On the 505 I had to install the normal barrel band as it was without one. I would also love to be able to ad another cartage into the 505 magazine. For the record the 416 takes 4 up its belly.

I picked up the 505 from a fellow who bought it in Tanzania if memory serves me correct and it was in a dreadful state. Luckily the barrel and action was in a good condition. I was also lucky enough to pick up two stocks from two brothers that had replaced theirs with custom stocks.

On all these RSM's I had a additional cross bolt installed with black ivory caps, glass bedded, sanded and oiled, mercury reducers installed and Pachmayer Decelerator pads fitted. Leopold VX6 1-6x24 with a German N04 does duty on the 416,458 and 505. A 2-12x42 B&C adorns the 375. All these guns shoots flyers at 100m with a diet of Barnes TSX and Banded solids.

Shuter a 450 Barnes TSX works wonderfully in the 458 Lott and penetration is more than ample. I took a Impala last year at 175m so its trajectory is also very forgiving.

Regards
Wouter

Hallo Gentleman

First off Shuter congratulation on your 458 Lott. I sincerely hope it will give you endless joy and a whole bunch of memories as it is a great cartage/gun combination. You might consider having the stock sanded and oiled as it seems from the photographs that underneath there is some truly beautiful wood just dying to come out to be caressed by your loving stare.

ActionBob I also have 4 Ruger RSM's with the 505 Gibbs topping off the range. I did Ackley my 375 H&H though. My 416 Rigby and 505 Gibbs has also got the floating barrel band as well as a normal barrel band. On the 505 I had to install the normal barrel band as it was without one. I would also love to be able to ad another cartage into the 505 magazine. For the record the 416 takes 4 up its belly.

I picked up the 505 from a fellow who bought it in Tanzania if memory serves me correct and it was in a dreadful state. Luckily the barrel and action was in a good condition. I was also lucky enough to pick up two stocks from two brothers that had replaced theirs with custom stocks.

On all these RSM's I had a additional cross bolt installed with black ivory caps, glass bedded, sanded and oiled, mercury reducers installed and Pachmayer Decelerator pads fitted. Leopold VX6 1-6x24 with a German N04 does duty on the 416,458 and 505. A 2-12x42 B&C adorns the 375. All these guns shoots flyers at 100m with a diet of Barnes TSX and Banded solids.

Shuter a 450 Barnes TSX works wonderfully in the 458 Lott and penetration is more than ample. I took a Impala last year at 175m so its trajectory is also very forgiving.

Regards
Wouter
Thank you! I am set up to send my RSM to Wayne at AHR for bedding, 2nd crossbolt install, smoothing of action, trigger, etc. I'm looking forward to the result!

Shuter

I forgot to mention but I also install Timney triggers in all my Rugers that can accommodate them. They work wonderfully in the RSM's as well, so it is something to seriously consider. Two competent gunsmiths polished and honed some of my first original Ruger triggers but they were never as good as the Timney's. I have absolute confidence in them and so far I have never experienced a malfunction of any sort. I use my safety exclusively and I had a couple of problems with the modified original triggers but never with the Timneys.

Regards
Wouter

Shuter

I forgot to mention but I also install Timney triggers in all my Rugers that can accommodate them. They work wonderfully in the RSM's as well, so it is something to seriously consider. Two competent gunsmiths polished and honed some of my first original Ruger triggers but they were never as good as the Timney's. I have absolute confidence in them and so far I have never experienced a malfunction of any sort. I use my safety exclusively and I had a couple of problems with the modified original triggers but never with the Timneys.

Regards
Wouter
Thanks...good info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviaJoine

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.