New Rifle!

Bandera

AH fanatic
Joined
Feb 28, 2024
Messages
884
Reaction score
1,971
Location
Huntsville
Website
www.caverncovecompetitiveshooting.com
Media
8
Hunting reports
Africa
2
USA/Canada
2
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA: AL, TX, MS, SD, NE, WA, NM, KY, TN, MO, S.C, Canada: BC, Africa: RSA, NW Prov. , Limpopo.
It always seems that when I find a rifle on my list another rifle pops up that is in the list.
First it was the 338 Marlin.
Then when I went into the LGS to pick it up I was offered a Ruger.

IMG_1574.jpeg


IMG_1575.jpeg
IMG_1577.jpeg
IMG_1578.jpeg
IMG_1576.jpeg


So I said I will take it. It is not left handed but will due till the left handed one arrives at Lipseys. Apparently Ruger is having a tough time meeting delivery dates.
Yup it is a 9.3X62
20” barrel
Stainless with a Laminated stock.
Over all I am pleased with this example of a working rifle.
Most likely the first thing I will kill with it will be an Armadillo. The up-armored possums are out.
Need to order a set of 30mm rings. Till then will shoot it with iron sights, once the ammo arrives.
 
Nice looking Ruger !

Have the same problem as you do, had to switch to left hand due to my bad right eye. Sure wish gun makers would build more left hand bolt actions.
Lipseys has the same rifles in left hand configuration in 9.3X62 and 35 Whelen on order with Ruger.
 
It always seems that when I find a rifle on my list another rifle pops up that is in the list.
First it was the 338 Marlin.
Then when I went into the LGS to pick it up I was offered a Ruger.

View attachment 759715

View attachment 759716View attachment 759717View attachment 759718View attachment 759719

So I said I will take it. It is not left handed but will due till the left handed one arrives at Lipseys. Apparently Ruger is having a tough time meeting delivery dates.
Yup it is a 9.3X62
20” barrel
Stainless with a Laminated stock.
Over all I am pleased with this example of a working rifle.
Most likely the first thing I will kill with it will be an Armadillo. The up-armored possums are out.
Need to order a set of 30mm rings. Till then will shoot it with iron sights, once the ammo arrives.
It looks great. And it will be a long time weapons. I like it when the lower part Picatiny integrated into the weapon frame
 
It looks great. And it will be a long time weapons. I like it when the lower part Picatiny integrated into the weapon frame
I like the stainless with grey laminate. Nice combo. And an excellent caliber.
 
Nice looking Ruger !

Have the same problem as you do, had to switch to left hand due to my bad right eye. Sure wish gun makers would build more left hand bolt actions.
the leftys are out their, you just have to be ready when one appears. my latest is a browning SS A-bolt in .280 with a 3-9x SS leupold scope bought at public auction for 825.00 usd
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0408 (2).JPG
    DSCN0408 (2).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 123
One the guys at the LGS, walks up and asks what I have. I told him 9.3X62.
His response was why do want a weird caliber? Oh wait, you just picked up a 338 Marlin Express.
Yup I did. Unlike the 338 ME I can buy 9.2X62 ammo nearly any where, outside the US.
 
Congratulations I'm sure you'll love it. I got one early in the first round and I am loving it. About 3 weeks ago my dog and I filled my winter Montana mountain lion license with it.

Montana's black bear season opened yesterday and I hope to fill that tag fairly soon....
 
One the guys at the LGS, walks up and asks what I have. I told him 9.3X62.
His response was why do want a weird caliber? Oh wait, you just picked up a 338 Marlin Express.
Yup I did. Unlike the 338 ME I can buy 9.2X62 ammo nearly any where, outside the US.
If you need some 338 Marlin ammo, I think I have a case of Remington Corelokt in storage. Let me know and I can check.
 
Nice rifle. I too like the gray laminate stock.
 
I know there is a 35 Whelen in this model. I agree a 7x57 and 458 WM would be nice to see. A 458 with the D weight (tropical) barrel profile would be a nice set up.
 
Nice find. That will be a rifle for the long haul.
 
I bought one of those and added the Alaskan arms +2 extended floor plate, really like it so far! If Ruger made this same rifle in 458 winchester magnum and added a barrel band sling mount I would order one as fast as I could get my bank card out!
 
One the guys at the LGS, walks up and asks what I have. I told him 9.3X62.
His response was why do want a weird caliber?

That's so annoying to me. Weird rifles/calibers are exciting and interesting, I want a gun store or range or pawn shop employee to at least be enthusiastic when I buy or show up with something besides and AR or polymer pistol even if they don't know what it is or what it's for.

My first DG rifle was from a pretty small gun shop I'd never been to before. I had to wait until payday, when I went back a week later the employee who had showed it to me practically ran to pull it off the wall the moment I walked in. He didn't question why I wanted a rifle big enough for elephant when deer around here are maybe 150 lbs!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,435
Messages
1,576,124
Members
170,518
Latest member
LamarKovac
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top