Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, Texas Trophy Hunters Association
Hunted
USA, Mexico, South Africa
New requirements for RSA Entry after Travel Ban

Alright so now we know that SA is going to require us all (for the most part depending on where you are from) to require a Visa (even for short term tourism) as well as a negative COVID-19 test. Personally I am unable to get this test without having symptoms here in the states in Texas without having a fever and very specific list of symptoms as well as a negative flu and strep test first. Any one out there have any info on how to make this happen in Texas or more specifically in the DFW area? I’m running low on time as I Depart May 31st to JNB and not sure how I will be able to have the test administered anywhere before leaving. All Info and advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea as to number of days prior to entry into South Africa a negative Covid19 test is to be dated?

This could become a major problem due to limited number of testing materials currently available.

I was tested/checked/screened yesterday while at the VA, even though I showed no symptoms, and was cleared. My tentative departure date is 10 May.

Alright so now we know that SA is going to require us all (for the most part depending on where you are from) to require a Visa (even for short term tourism) as well as a negative COVID-19 test. Personally I am unable to get this test without having symptoms here in the states in Texas without having a fever and very specific list of symptoms as well as a negative flu and strep test first. Any one out there have any info on how to make this happen in Texas or more specifically in the DFW area? I’m running low on time as I Depart May 31st to JNB and not sure how I will be able to have the test administered anywhere before leaving. All Info and advice is greatly appreciated!

Do you have a reference for the new requirements? I'm scheduled to depart 3 weeks after you.

Alright so now we know that SA is going to require us all (for the most part depending on where you are from) to require a Visa (even for short term tourism) as well as a negative COVID-19 test.

Hi Cody,

Where did you hear of these new requirements on the part of the RSA government? Is the "negative" COVID-19 test to be performed on their end upon arrival or do you mean that you have to arrive with a negative test result in hand?

I don't have a definitive answer to your question. As of now, Florida is taking the same position as Texas (and most other states I assume) in that you cannot get a test unless your symptoms meet the criteria for the suspicion of the virus. And that is not likely to change anytime soon. If the RSA government is doing this, they are getting out over their skis on these requirements. Even if you were able to get a negative test today, it doesn't mean you would stay negative for the entire time from when you are tested until you depart. So, I don't see the value in the RSA government using this as a screening tool? Were there dates and details attached to these test requirements?

Last edited:
I can confirm that as soon as the travel ban from USA is lifted the visa requirement will also be waivered. I just spoke to Dries of Phasa President who confirmed this. So no action you need to take now .

If you are able to fly there will be no visa .... I will follow up on the test result requirements .

"The Presidency also said any foreign national who has visited high-risk countries in the past 20 days will be denied a visa".

If this is a rolling 20 day time frame, everybody from the U.S. can forget about RSA for the foreseeable future.

Herewith todays directive from DIRCO ...

2020031717h05V14COVID-19 Travel Advisory.jpg

Attachments

• 2020031717h05V14COVID-19 Travel Advisory.pdf
    317.1 KB · Views: 197
Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea as to number of days prior to entry into South Africa a negative Covid19 test is to be dated?

This could become a major problem due to limited number of testing materials currently available.

I was tested/checked/screened yesterday while at the VA, even though I showed no symptoms, and was cleared. My tentative departure date is 10 May.

No clue, that wasn’t discussed which is also worrisome. Here is the video of the announcement from their ministers

https://www.facebook.com/groups/710466165819126/permalink/1323596831172720/

Attachments

• corona_virus0317.pdf
    317.1 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Some people just didn't hear the shot, no matter how loud it was .
:S Help:him

Honestly man. Save your time and effort. Rebook your trip for later. I was leaving on May 29th. I already moved mine to August. You are not going anywhere May 31. I'll put money on it. We won't be allowed back in before........ I'm gonna bet on...... July 1. That's why I booked for August to be safe. But here's to hope.

Some people just didn't hear the shot, no matter how loud it was .
:S Help:him
You obviously don't know my situation nor the deal I got from my outfitter. My outfitter is reimbursing me for all of my airfare and travel costs if I'm unable to get there so maybe you should ask questions before you start talking about me like I'm stupid. I know I will very likely not get there and already have my new hunt dates saved. I have zero worry whatsoever as I know my trip is paid in full now and just gives me another year to afford even more critters. So again, think before you speak when you don't know my situation. I also get a full credit for my airfare to use through Delta to travel anywhere I want to travel through Feb 28 2021. So it was a win win my friend. I talk to the owner every day as this all comes about.

I am in same boat as you. Scheduled to leave June 10 out of Houston IAH. Texas will not do a test unless you are showing at least 3 symptoms-at this time. All we can hope for is changes before departure. Rescheduling for later this year is not an option for me. I may have to move to 2021

Honestly man. Save your time and effort. Rebook your trip for later. I was leaving on May 29th. I already moved mine to August. You are not going anywhere May 31. I'll put money on it. We won't be allowed back in before........ I'm gonna bet on...... July 1. That's why I booked for August to be safe. But here's to hope.
See above post response to the guy who thinks I "Need help". I essentially just got a free extra $2K credit to use to fly anywhere from Delta with their new COVID-19 policy for tickets purchased in the month of March.

I am in same boat as you. Scheduled to leave June 10 out of Houston IAH. Texas will not do a test unless you are showing at least 3 symptoms-at this time. All we can hope for is changes before departure. Rescheduling for later this year is not an option for me. I may have to move to 2021
I recommend getting with your outfitter. We obviously will likely not be able to get in and maybe they will work a deal like mine did and cover your travel expenses if you can't reschedule your flights for later in the season. Mine was pretty well booked through the prime season and I want to hunt the kudu rut so I'm doing next year if I can't get through customs once this all passes. But the plan for me is to just take the following year's dates that I prefer. Best of luck to you!

Following also.
My wife and I are supposed to depart from Houston on May 10th, on Qatar, heading to Johannesburg for our photo safari.
So the general thinking is, reschedule the trip for some time after July 1st?
My concern, if they ground these planes, as some are suggesting, you just don't park them and four months later, fill 'em up with jet fuel, light a fire, and take off. There's a lot of maintenance involved. Crews have to maintain training, physicals, etc. Then is there a priority list of who gets on the first flights, since they'be been grounded? Displaced families, dignitaries, etc.
I have no idea, just wondering out loud. (n)

Following also.
My wife and I are supposed to depart from Houston on May 10th, on Qatar, heading to Johannesburg for our photo safari.
So the general thinking is, reschedule the trip for some time after July 1st?
My concern, if they ground these planes, as some are suggesting, you just don't park them and four months later, fill 'em up with jet fuel, light a fire, and take off. There's a lot of maintenance involved. Crews have to maintain training, physicals, etc. Then is there a priority list of who gets on the first flights, since they'be been grounded? Displaced families, dignitaries, etc.
I have no idea, just wondering out loud. (n)

I personally if it saves you money and are able to book a later date (I agree after July 1) I would do so for sure. Some people on here think I’m stupid for my situation but they didn’t know mine was insured and 100% backed. Most probably won’t have that. I wish you guys luck and hope it all works out for everyone.

Heard about this today myself. I’m not scheduled to leave until Sept, I’m hoping the world takes a big chill pill by then but still makes me nervous. I understand the test I guess but the visa? Wtf is that supposed to do? Is Corona virus warded off by unnecessary paperwork?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg