New owner of a Big 5 Classic in 470

Yes, you can have a set of 20g shotgun barrels made by Krieghoff.

Each to his own but what can 500/416 do that 470 cannot and vice versa? Now 375 or 9.3x74 or 8x* or 7x* is a good medium size game gun. I’ve got a set of 9.3x74R barrels and it is great. With K gun barrels from 9.3 down are not soldered and are user adjustable. Quite handy for a hand loader.
That is interesting. I have not dabbled in the smaller calibers, 9.3x74 and such. A set of 375's would be very interesting though. 385 H&H barrels would be really interesting, especially since I have a ton of reloading components for that.

That is interesting. I have not dabbled in the smaller calibers, 9.3x74 and such. A set of 375's would be very interesting though. 385 H&H barrels would be really interesting, especially since I have a ton of reloading components for that.

Krieghoff makes chambers for both rimmed and rimless 375.

I need to research the 9.3x74 caliber, I have looked at it, but not seriously studied it. I do have a bunch of 375 H&H reloading components.
It would make a really nice medium game rifle.

Go for the 9.3x74r barrels....you won't regret it....and will use them lots

It’s what I did but I’m based in Europe and it’s a popular chambering here so factory ammo as well as brass and projectiles are widely available.

The big advantage of 9.3 and under vs 375 in K double is user adjustable regulation. A fairly simple if time consuming task.

It’s what I did but I’m based in Europe and it’s a popular chambering here so factory ammo as well as brass and projectiles are widely available.

The big advantage of 9.3 and under vs 375 in K double is user adjustable regulation. A fairly simple if time consuming task.
One of my favourite calibres...or was when I had my double ....

Ok, I see what you're saying. I didn't realize you could get the smaller calibers on the "classic" frame.

Ok, I see what you're saying. I didn't realize you could get the smaller calibers on the "classic" frame.

You can get all of the “small” chamberings. They’ll make you a 223 if you custom order it but 7, 8 or 9mm are their standard small bore chamberings and it’s way cheaper to go for standard options. The main difference between their big game and regular double is steel vs alloy receiver. That is the main reason I ended up not getting the shotgun barrels, it will never be a light handling gun and for the price of the 20g barrel set from Krieghoff you can buy a lightweight shottie. Having said so the advantages of shotgun barrels for a double rifle are not lost on me. Travelling with a double with nitro, scoped medium calibre and shotgun barrels in a nice small briefcase for all sorts of game safari would be quite handy. Shooting clays with your double would be awesome practise too.

I just put in for the quota deer hunt here at Land Between the Lakes and I have enough preference point that I should get drawn. I suspect that I may be the only person at the quota hunt this year with a Kreighoff 470:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I did in fact get drawn. So let the recon begin. November 18-20th I'll be trying out the double gun on a whitetail hunt.

Enjoy the rifle. You will get used to the safety/cocker pretty quickly.

I have one in .500/.416 and I love it. Thinking of upgrading to a newer model with ejectors.

9,3x74R is a very useful round...I bought a used Gaucher double rifle in the caliber, intend to use it on moose here in Norway and the odd driven hunt.. Tired of dragging my 5kg .375H&H around in forests..

Enjoy the rifle. You will get used to the safety/cocker pretty quickly.

I have one in .500/.416 and I love it. Thinking of upgrading to a newer model with ejectors.
Is it possible to have it sent back to Krieghoff and have it converted to ejectors?

Is it possible to have it sent back to Krieghoff and have it converted to ejectors?
I asked the guy I bought mine from about it and he said he had inquired and he did not think it was possible to have them retrofit but I'm not 100% sure. It might be worth a call to Krieghoff.

Sadly no. The design is such that you have to order a new rifle to get the ejectors.
I asked the guy I bought mine from about it and he said he had inquired and he did not think it was possible to have them retrofit but I'm not 100% sure. It might be worth a call to Krieghoff.
That sucks, but there are worse things...like not having a double at all. :LOL:

Better yet, have a double with a two barrel set...
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...2-barrel-set-500-416-243.cfm?gun_id=101728047

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 3.35.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 3.35.53 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 3.35.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 3.35.54 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 3.35.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 3.35.56 PM.png
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 3.35.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 3.35.58 PM.png
    857.2 KB · Views: 40

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tope

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!