New owner of a Big 5 Classic in 470

Backyardsniper

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Picked her up today. First impressions are pretty good. The fit seems to be good. I was very concerned that the 14-7/8 LOP would be too long but it seems to be about right. When mounting the rifle with my eyes closed, when I open them i am pretty much staring right at the big fiber optic bead sitting right on top of the V. I am really looking forward to getting started reloading. I just posted in the reloading section for some ideas. I know RL 15 and IMR 4831 are favorites but I don't have those at the moment.
The cocking lever deal is interesting. I think I can get used to it and build muscle memory for it pretty easily. I can see where guys who talk about having arthritis would not like it. It does take a bit of force to cock it if the rifle is shouldered. Not too much of an issue cocking it while coming up to mount it. Looking forward to putting up some range reports in a few days when I get the remainder of my reloading components in. I have a pretty good variety of stuff to try.

Backyardsniper

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Congratulations
Thanks man. Really looking forward to this project. I have a good supply of various bullets and powder so I'm gonna go to work on her probably Monday.
I never thought I would be able to own one, never thought i would get to go to africa either though.

Backyardsniper

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
20220805_222431.jpg
20220805_222601.jpg
Screenshot_20220805-222657.png
20220805_222748.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Very nice and congratulations

Rare Breed

Gold supporter
Silver supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Beautiful gun!!! Congratulations!

Inline6

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Congratulations!

You are now making your dream a reality! Good on you! You now will be able to go on your hunt just as you wished.

TwoTracks

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC
Hunted
USA
Wow! A Kreighoff in 470ne is about perfect for your hunt next year. Shoot a whitetail this fall with it to break it in. Big Congratulations buddy.

Backyardsniper

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Wow! A Kreighoff in 470ne is about perfect for your hunt next year. Shoot a whitetail this fall with it to break it in. Big Congratulations buddy.
I just put in for the quota deer hunt here at Land Between the Lakes and I have enough preference point that I should get drawn. I suspect that I may be the only person at the quota hunt this year with a Kreighoff 470:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Andrew62

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Cameroon, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia.
Beautiful rifle, congratulations!! Thanks for sharing!

baxterb

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Very cool. The Big 5 was the very fist double I ever had my hands on. Was at The Gentleman Hunter in Bethesda Maryland. Neat place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
500 Nitro Express

Latest profile posts

We will be at the Dallas show and the SCI show in 2023. Booth # to be updated soon.
geoff rath wrote on Von Gruff's profile.
G'day, Von Gruff; Could you give me an idea on your Bearded Chef Knife, as per your posted photos, delivered to Australia? I'd like to reward a good mate (excellent amateur chef) who has done me big favours in the past. Cheers, Geoff Rath
Tokoloshe Safaris wrote on TERMINATOR's profile.
I just received a forwarded e-mail from you, concerning our Web Site. We just finished a leopard hunt yesterday. While on the hunt my wife mentioned to me that she had finally had it with the person that was maintaining the site and that she was going to get someone else to maintain the site.

If the site is not active you can contact me thru the AH forum.

Cheers, Lon Denney
Tokoloshe Safaris,
Zimbabwe
Bwana Man wrote on Jager Waffen74's profile.
Interested in the
  • JP Sauer 90 Luxus .375 H&H West German with EAW swing mounts and Varix III 2.5-8x40 scope (Euro Model hand rubbed oil, express sights) 99.9%
yamoon wrote on C.W. Richter's profile.
Hello
The book is still available, I will consider it sold. Personal check is fine. Send me your address.
Thanks
Michael
[redacted]