New owner of a Big 5 Classic in 470

Wow! Beautiful rifle. Congrats!

I really like these rifles in general, and came very close to buying one last year. I love the cocking lever. What a great safety feature. Although not cheap, there is a lot of value for the dollar in these Krieghoffs...and yours looks particularly nice.............looking forward to some target photos and some chrono reports.....good choice.......................FWB

I really like these rifles in general, and came very close to buying one last year. I love the cocking lever. What a great safety feature. Although not cheap, there is a lot of value for the dollar in these Krieghoffs...and yours looks particularly nice.............looking forward to some target photos and some chrono reports.....good choice.......................FWB
Thanks, I do like the safety aspect of the cocking device. I look forward to giving it a thorough work up and seeing what this rifle will do.

Looks really good, well done! Those bores are huge!

Lovely!! What a way go get your first D/G double; now that takes care of the Dog's hunting rifle, what are you going to use ??

Congratulations on a fine double ! Now when can we expect it in action on some big fauna? :)

Picked her up today. First impressions are pretty good. The fit seems to be good. I was very concerned that the 14-7/8 LOP would be too long but it seems to be about right. When mounting the rifle with my eyes closed, when I open them i am pretty much staring right at the big fiber optic bead sitting right on top of the V. I am really looking forward to getting started reloading. I just posted in the reloading section for some ideas. I know RL 15 and IMR 4831 are favorites but I don't have those at the moment.
The cocking lever deal is interesting. I think I can get used to it and build muscle memory for it pretty easily. I can see where guys who talk about having arthritis would not like it. It does take a bit of force to cock it if the rifle is shouldered. Not too much of an issue cocking it while coming up to mount it. Looking forward to putting up some range reports in a few days when I get the remainder of my reloading components in. I have a pretty good variety of stuff to try.
Exactly what I am taking to Zim for buff and ele.

Congrats on the great rifle! Great looking dog too :)

Congrats on the new add!

Two of my favorite PH’s, Nick Nolte and Jamy Traut use that rifle. Nick has .470 and Jamey the .500. Both have sorted out a number of situations with them. Like the S2 and R8, the secret is indeed to cock as the rifle comes to the shoulder. Whether muscle memory or wearing in, the system seems to become easier with use.

Congratulations on a beautiful rifle.

I'm a fan of the cocking system used by both Krieghoff and Blaser (yes, I know there are slight differences). Owning and using several Blaser R8's, it has become second nature to use this kind of device and develop muscle memory for it. Not to mention how you can safely carry a rifle like this with a round in the chamber(s). Congrats again. Post some pics when you get it regulated.

Nice, congrats !

Congrats on a very nice double! Have fun! Natchez has Reloder 15 in stock (as of yesterday) if you want to try it out.

Nice rifle and love the dog inclusion in the pics.

HH

It's an excellent gun. Consider barrels in 375/30-06 as well. Gives you more time on the gun.

Very cool. The Big 5 was the very fist double I ever had my hands on. Was at The Gentleman Hunter in Bethesda Maryland. Neat place.
Haven't heard that name in years.

Excellent! If I were to buy another double, this is where I'd look first. I like the safety of these and the R8. When using my R8 I never have any issues at all cocking it while I'm bringing it to shoulder. It becomes second nature pretty quickly. I think one of these in 450/400 would be sweet as well. @Philip Glass has ordered a set of barrels for his in 450/400, so I assume yours could be fitted as well. Would make a very versatile set up. Put a small scope or red dot on the 450/400. And iron sights or red dot on the 470 and you're set.

Excellent! If I were to buy another double, this is where I'd look first. I like the safety of these and the R8. When using my R8 I never have any issues at all cocking it while I'm bringing it to shoulder. It becomes second nature pretty quickly. I think one of these in 450/400 would be sweet as well. @Philip Glass has ordered a set of barrels for his in 450/400, so I assume yours could be fitted as well. Would make a very versatile set up. Put a small scope or red dot on the 450/400. And iron sights or red dot on the 470 and you're set.
I have the scope mount for it, I like the idea a lot of going with a smaller set of barrels. I think my pick would be the 500/416. I really like the 416 rigby and the availability of bullets all the way down to 300 grain and in particular the speer 350gr8 soft points would give the rifle a lot of use. If you go up in caliber you have to have it sent to Germany to be proofed, but going down I believe can be done relatively easily.
Does anybody know if.you can have shotgun barrels fitted.for this model?

I have the scope mount for it, I like the idea a lot of going with a smaller set of barrels. I think my pick would be the 500/416. I really like the 416 rigby and the availability of bullets all the way down to 300 grain and in particular the speer 350gr8 soft points would give the rifle a lot of use. If you go up in caliber you have to have it sent to Germany to be proofed, but going down I believe can be done relatively easily.
Does anybody know if.you can have shotgun barrels fitted.for this model?

Yes, you can have a set of 20g shotgun barrels made by Krieghoff.

Each to his own but what can 500/416 do that 470 cannot and vice versa? Now 375 or 9.3x74 or 8x* or 7x* is a good medium size game gun. I’ve got a set of 9.3x74R barrels and it is great. With K gun barrels from 9.3 down are not soldered and are user adjustable. Quite handy for a hand loader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg