New M70 375

View attachment 354546 View attachment 354547
Fired the rifle today, two different loads in two groups. It’s the same target with the first group crossed out. Off the sticks at 100 yards.
I’m pleased, what do you guys think?

Good shooting. And I think it is great that you zeroed and then got into a practical shooting 'off the sticks'. IMHO, too many people shoot off leads sleds etc-it may just be me but .375 upwards don't seem like good bench rest calibers. And seemingly most people on the forum dont like carrying a pound or two heavier rifle- imagine lugging a concrete bench and lead sled around after elephant !

The McMillan stock came today, which is a real bonus as it was supposed to be done in October.
The rifle is heavier now, but the balance point is at the front of the magazine. It fits me like a glove. I swear the bolt is easier to work now.
35770CAC-BBE8-4658-8038-8194B3032ADD.jpeg
75B38192-3E3D-4BE0-848A-F3E7FBFAACDA.jpeg

I ran across an older Ruger Hawkeye, wood stock, barrel band iron sights, barrel swivel, 7.5 lbs, bolt is slicker n snot, trigger is 3 lbs clean, I intended to resale it, but it appeared to be the same gun as the newer Ruger African except lighter and no ebony forend tip..Then I shot it for accuracy and function, 5 under and inch and it went into the no sell corner of my gun cabinet...caliber 375 Ruger, as much as I hate to say it, I like the Ruger 375 caliber better than my H&H 375...I seldom give way to my nostalgia but did this time...

I ran across an older Ruger Hawkeye, wood stock, barrel band iron sights, barrel swivel, 7.5 lbs, bolt is slicker n snot, trigger is 3 lbs clean, I intended to resale it, but it appeared to be the same gun as the newer Ruger African except lighter and no ebony forend tip..Then I shot it for accuracy and function, 5 under and inch and it went into the no sell corner of my gun cabinet...caliber 375 Ruger, as much as I hate to say it, I like the Ruger 375 caliber better than my H&H 375...I seldom give way to my nostalgia but did this time...

The 375 Ruger is a better cartridge than the H&H in my opinion. The only reason I have a H&H instead is ammo availability. Then they don’t make as much 375 Ruger ammo because more people buy the H&H. What came first, the late adopter or the under appreciated cartridge?

Well boys I picked it tonight. The bolt is super slick, the bore is bright and shiny. The bolt face has some erosion, I will post a thread in the gunsmithing section later with questions.
Overall I am impressed and hope to fire it tomorrow.
View attachment 327746
@Wyatt Smith
Looks good young Mr Smith. As long as it shoots well and is comfortable I wouldn't worry to much about anything.
Just remember when you are reloading for it size the cases to the shoulder not the belt, you will have less case problem.
To avoid case issues you could always rechamber to 375 weatherby.
Bob

The McMillan stock came today, which is a real bonus as it was supposed to be done in October.
The rifle is heavier now, but the balance point is at the front of the magazine. It fits me like a glove. I swear the bolt is easier to work now.View attachment 358107View attachment 358108
@Wyatt Smith
You took good and made it better. A few extra ounces won't hurt. Go have fun and make some memories.
Maybe you could arrange a gaur hunt with friend Poton and sit around the campfire and chew the fat about the merits of the Winchester and 375.
Bob

For anyone interested since 2008 Winchester has gone to the MOA trigger in both the Mod 70 and XPR. The trigger is good but adjusting the pull down is usually not satisfying.
MCARBO sells a spring for this trigger that works excellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross