New from CO

Now that I'm retired, I think I can begin to obtain the style of rifle that I've always drooled over. Why not? Obsolete cartridges are more fun than current ones. The 256 Newton seems like one that never should have died, so I have one on a Ruger M77. I thought that the 358 Win was cool, so I foolishly used a Spanish M95 action for one. I subsequently rebarreled it to 9X57 for more action-appropriate pressures and better feeding from the magazine. If anyone knows how to judge max pressure in such an action, I'd appreciate learning it. I'm using QuickLoad but not sure if I should trust it. Flattened primers, hard bolt lift, etc. might be suitable indicators for modern actions but I don't think I want to be in that neighborhood with this old, 1907, small ring Mauser, even though it was heat treated by P.O. Ackley.
Welcome to AH

What part of Colorado? There are a number of members on here that live in Colorado including myself.
On the pressure signs, get yourself a good caliper or micrometer. Then if you have a fired factory case that you can go by measure it at the web just in front of the case rim and then at a few spots along the case and record the measurements. A factory case should be loaded below the max pressure that is set up by the SAAMI standards for that round. Stay withing these measurements and you should be fine.
Colorado Springs. Thanks for the suggestion. It's a method I know of but have never employed. Good to know of another reloader. We have a third weekly meeting here to visit about reloading an all manner of unrelated chit chat.

Hello AncientMariner,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog

PS:
Many years ago, after reading some of P.O. Ackley’s ideas, I began to suspect that if he had instead of being born a rifle enthusiast, had been born a car enthusiast, likely he’d would have often driven automobiles with the gas pedal smashed firmly against the floor board much of his time on the road.
In other words, I would be cautious about shooting an antique rifle that he had performed any work on, especially action heat treating.
I'll try to tread cautiously. I have not read P.O. Ackley, so was not aware of any extreme tendencies, but I suppose his hot-rodded wildcat cartridges should have given me a clue. I have had one experience with feeding issues from a 7X57 magazine with 358 Win ammo. Every once in a while, the fat shoulder would tip the head too low for the bolt to catch it. I assume that most A.I. cartridges risk the same.

What part of Colorado? There are a number of members on here that live in Colorado including myself.
On the pressure signs, get yourself a good caliper or micrometer. Then if you have a fired factory case that you can go by measure it at the web just in front of the case rim and then at a few spots along the case and record the measurements. A factory case should be loaded below the max pressure that is set up by the SAAMI standards for that round. Stay withing these measurements and you should be fine.
9X57 factory ammo is not a thing I expect to find. I do have some new 9.3X57 Norma brass to establish a starting point, but I'm stuck guessing at the meaning of the expansion numbers.

Welcome! I loved my visit to Colorado. was staying with new friends and enjoying an evening BBQ when they queried the "funny" smoky, dusty sky; this in 1980. From life experience back home (Down Under) I suggested either smoke or dust from a huge fire or a dust storm; we went in to check the news on TV to learn that Mt St Helens "went up". Interesting,indeed.
Hell of a dust storm, that!

Welcome! I’m just a bit north of you in Firestone.

Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with the 95’s to share.

I'll try to tread cautiously. I have not read P.O. Ackley, so was not aware of any extreme tendencies, but I suppose his hot-rodded wildcat cartridges should have given me a clue. I have had one experience with feeding issues from a 7X57 magazine with 358 Win ammo. Every once in a while, the fat shoulder would tip the head too low for the bolt to catch it. I assume that most A.I. cartridges risk the same.
Yes, I agree with you.

All that gouging out of perfectly good rifle chambers, so that fired cartridges end up with square shoulders and almost no taper, sometimes causes feeding problems.

Around 1973, when my friends and I had very little money for guns, one of my old pals from Chico California, ruined a perfectly good Ruger Model 77, caliber .257 Roberts, in exactly that way.

Anyway, P. O. Ackley’s philosophy seems to have been something like: “Drive rifle bullets as fast as possible … no matter what the risk”.

That said, I do look forward to learning about the end product if your rifle build.

Cheers.

Yes, I agree with you.

All that gouging out of perfectly good rifle chambers, so that fired cartridges end up with square shoulders and almost no taper, sometimes causes feeding problems.

Around 1973, when my friends and I had very little money for guns, one of my old pals from Chico California, ruined a perfectly good Ruger Model 77, caliber .257 Roberts, in exactly that way.

Anyway, P. O. Ackley’s philosophy seems to have been something like: “Drive rifle bullets as fast as possible … no matter what the risk”.

That said, I do look forward to learning about the end product if your rifle build.

Cheers.
Funny, but my 256 Newton was rebarreled from a Ruger 77 in 257 Roberts Ackley Improved that I got at Cabela's in Lone Tree, CO.

I have some original Kynoch 9x57 and work frequently in the Springs.
Not too sure how they will work but you can try some.
Also, I'm at the same stage as you with a Mauser TypeB in 9x57 which I plan on loading with cast bullets and just make the brass from 8x57.
That would make a nice package in a light rifle and perfectly suited for much of the game we see here in Colorado as well as casual shooting.
I have some experience with cast bullets in an English 375 Express (9.5x57 or 9.5x56 Mannlicher) and it is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. The 9 would be just a little less of a good thing. .358" cast bullets should be usable. A couple thou over groove is a good place for a cast bullet imo. Even jacketed in .358" are often used in the 9s so there's lots to choose from there.
Easy going cast in an 1895 would be pretty sweet though.

Interestingly, I often hear the 9x57Mauser described as an outclassed and anemic cartridge.
If you take a look at the original ballistics, you'll see that the 9x57 is right on the heels of the venerable 318 Westley Richards!
247gr bullet at 2296fps out of a 9mm
250gr bullet at 2400fps out of the 318WR
Now, I don't know for sure, but with equally constructed bullets, I'm not convinced that any game animal would notice the -3gr weight difference or the -104fps of the pip squeak 9mm.

In fact, I'd argue that on medium game, the .356" bullet will perform better than the ,330" except, maybe, in the case of an ass end Texas Heart shot...

Last edited:
I have some experience with cast bullets in an English 375 Express (9.5x57 or 9.5x56 Mannlicher) and it is one of my favorite rifles to shoot.

I'd be very interested to know details of your experience / recommendations regarding cast loads for the 9.5X57 / .375 Nitro Express Rimless. I have my Grand Dad's M1910 Take Down Model and have always used Hornady 3715 (now nearly extinct) in my handloads. I have some Nosler solids but have not yet loaded them.

I'm using 24grs of 4198 with a 3/4" or so bit of a filler (3/8" backer rod) and a 256gr gas checked bullet.

I'll need to chrongraph it and see what velocity its getting.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 8.01.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 8.01.41 AM.png
    648.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 8.01.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 8.01.43 AM.png
    321.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 8.01.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-06 at 8.01.49 AM.png
    847.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I have some original Kynoch 9x57 and work frequently in the Springs.
Not too sure how they will work but you can try some.
Also, I'm at the same stage as you with a Mauser TypeB in 9x57 which I plan on loading with cast bullets and just make the brass from 8x57.
That would make a nice package in a light rifle and perfectly suited for much of the game we see here in Colorado as well as casual shooting.
I have some experience with cast bullets in an English 375 Express (9.5x57 or 9.5x56 Mannlicher) and it is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. The 9 would be just a little less of a good thing. .358" cast bullets should be usable. A couple thou over groove is a good place for a cast bullet imo. Even jacketed in .358" are often used in the 9s so there's lots to choose from there.
Easy going cast in an 1895 would be pretty sweet though.

Interestingly, I often hear the 9x57Mauser described as an outclassed and anemic cartridge.
If you take a look at the original ballistics, you'll see that the 9x57 is right on the heels of the venerable 318 Westley Richards!
247gr bullet at 2296fps out of a 9mm
250gr bullet at 2400fps out of the 318WR
Now, I don't know for sure, but with equally constructed bullets, I'm not convinced that any game animal would notice the -3gr weight difference or the -104fps of the pip squeak 9mm.

In fact, I'd argue that on medium game, the .356" bullet will perform better than the ,330" except, maybe, in the case of an ass end Texas Heart shot...
I am using PPU 8X57 brass and I bought some 9.3X57 Norma brass (!) at Sportsmans Warehouse. Both work fine for 9X57. My 1895 has a .358" barrel. I don't know yet about the Mauser sporter's barrel, which I haven't laid hands on yet. The 1895 has a receiver sight. I'm looking forward to playing with the open sights on the sporter. It should be entertaining with 75 yr old eyes. I've been advised that the 20 inch barrel on the 1895 should prefer AR Comp with 200 gn bullets. I miss the Hornady 250RN, which they discontinued.
On a roll, I'm also getting a Mauser Sporter in 8X60S. Why not?

Welcome aboard!

I am using PPU 8X57 brass and I bought some 9.3X57 Norma brass (!) at Sportsmans Warehouse. Both work fine for 9X57. My 1895 has a .358" barrel. I don't know yet about the Mauser sporter's barrel, which I haven't laid hands on yet. The 1895 has a receiver sight. I'm looking forward to playing with the open sights on the sporter. It should be entertaining with 75 yr old eyes. I've been advised that the 20 inch barrel on the 1895 should prefer AR Comp with 200 gn bullets. I miss the Hornady 250RN, which they discontinued.
On a roll, I'm also getting a Mauser Sporter in 8X60S. Why not?
The 1914 M98 Oberndorf Sporter's barrel is marked "9,0 H." From what I hear, that indicates 9X57 Haenel. The thing slugs 0.358", so I'm set to use US 35 cal projectiles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristinaD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!