New from Alberta!

I find it hard to go home before mid Oct.
 
Welcome fellow Canadian! I got tired of the cold also, I head to AZ for the max 180 days allowed each year. If you start down the rabbit hole, watch out for big bore addiction, it comes with the safari bug, highly contagious and has no cure! Hope you enjoy this forum, it’s awesome.
 
Welcome to AH, good to have another hurting Albertan.
 
Welcome fellow Canadian! I got tired of the cold also, I head to AZ for the max 180 days allowed each year. If you start down the rabbit hole, watch out for big bore addiction, it comes with the safari bug, highly contagious and has no cure! Hope you enjoy this forum, it’s awesome.
Thank You! I don’t blame you! I haven’t been to AZ yet, but I’m sure I will. Mexico is where I end up in the fall. I have bought and sold many big bore rifles over the years, definitely have an addiction to them. Now I’m looking forward to hunting in Africa with them.
 
As for big bores, at least the CF kind, my .458 and 15,000 rounds over the years managed to destroy the cartilage in my right shoulder, to the point it would not stay in joint, but would rotate forward and bind up. I might add, it was not the Winchester, but the wildcat .458 American. 350gr. at 2,296fps, not bad at all: 400g.r at 2,150fps, not bad, but the 500's at 2,059fps is what did most of the damage. The rifle could have used a couple more than it's 7 or 7 1/2 pounds. I was 6'1", quite strong and 185lbs. for all of this shooting.
Beware too much shooting with light rifles chambered in larger calibers.
 
As for big bores, at least the CF kind, my .458 and 15,000 rounds over the years managed to destroy the cartilage in my right shoulder, to the point it would not stay in joint, but would rotate forward and bind up. I might add, it was not the Winchester, but the wildcat .458 American. 350gr. at 2,296fps, not bad at all: 400g.r at 2,150fps, not bad, but the 500's at 2,059fps is what did most of the damage. The rifle could have used a couple more than it's 7 or 7 1/2 pounds. I was 6'1", quite strong and 185lbs. for all of this shooting.
Beware too much shooting with light rifles chambered in larger calibers.
That’s impressive! I sold all of my lighter weight rifles. I had a Ruger RSM in 375, I definitely liked the weight of that. Also my CZ 458wm was fine too. My next rifle will be on the heavier side. I have a 22lb 338 Lapua for a target rifle. The recoil is very tame without a muzzle brake.

My next rifle will hopefully be around the 9-10lb range.
 
Welcome from Ontario
Love hunting in AB though!
What part of AB are you from?
 
Welcome to AH. Nice to have you as part of our community.
 
Welcome to AH. Let us know if you have any questions.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,401
Messages
1,575,077
Members
170,221
Latest member
WoodrowCof
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top