New double rifle caliber, 416 Rigby No. 2

do we need it?
no.
would I like to have a soroka single shot with a 28" barrel in this chambering?
yes(y)
bruce.

The 416 field is getting like the 300 mag field. A whole bunch of rounds that do the same thing.

The 416 field is getting like the 300 mag field. A whole bunch of rounds that do the same thing.
thats a good comparison, but ironically the .300 mags all seem to have their following. Obviously a much larger market but a similar sentiment seems to exist for the popular .416's ask which is better, the Rigby or the Rem mag and grab a box of popcorn :)

Kinda makes one wish Ruger would do another run of their No. 1, in .416 Rigby No. 2.

I am curious to see CIP drawings. Maybe the rimmed version will clean up the rimless chamber. If so, a simple run of a reamer and some work on the extractor and, like magic, a .416 No. 2 for the rest of us, we common folk!

if it is dimensionally the same as the original but with a rim, only clearance for the rim would need cutting, and could be done in a lathe if a chamber drawing were available.
then it would just be a matter of the extractor.
bruce.

A good double rifle DG cartridge is not made by just adding a rim to a rimless cartridge!

For safe, reliable function, a perfect double rifle cartridge needs lower pressure, witch means more case capacity.

The cartridge you are looking for already exists….. .500/416 Nitro Express.

HWL

with the poor extraction camming and chambering camming of doubles and a lot of singles, tapered cases do offer advantages.
unfortunately, some modern bolt actions are now going down this road too.
bruce.

Kinda makes one wish Ruger would do another run of their No. 1, in .416 Rigby No. 2.

I am curious to see CIP drawings. Maybe the rimmed version will clean up the rimless chamber. If so, a simple run of a reamer and some work on the extractor and, like magic, a .416 No. 2 for the rest of us, we common folk!
upload_2019-6-4_19-0-11.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg