New cartridges

Dawg2019

AH veteran
Joined
Sep 1, 2019
Messages
117
Reaction score
311
Location
Georgia
Media
36
Hunting reports
Africa
1
A lot of new cartridges have come out in recent years. The 30 Nosler and 300PRC have caught my attention, but is there any significant difference from the 300 win mag? Just wondering if anyone had first hand knowledge on these new loads?
 
Marketing hype. And faster twists and longer boxes for heavier (longer) bullets with higher BCs.

I was interested in a 338 Fed, but try to find one or ammo now... LOTS of cartridges have been introduced in recent years, the only one that seems to have taken hold is the 6.5 Creed.
 
I have a 300 PRC, think of it as how cartridge designer and ballisticians. Would design a 300 WM without the belt. Designed to shoot 212-250 gr bullets.
 
Generally, the new cartidge designs allow more room in the chamber throat for heavier, higher BC, bullets. The twists are faster to stabilize those bullets. Removing the belt makes room for a larger powder column without lengthening the action. End result - 'new and improved'. But, if you already have a 300wm, you'll be fine. If not, get the PRC, or the Nosler!
 
Most are solutions to problems I don't have. Even the 6.5 Creedmoore, which is a well designed efficient cartridge and has become totally main stream. It does not do anything for me I could not get done with a 7mm-08, .308 or 243.
 
Every year a new lot of widgets for sales. Few that outdo the priors. Some, and some purpose-built for specific competition, etc. I like that they standardized the 6.5-300 Wby (which was a wildcat used for 1,000-3,000 yd competition once upon a time.) That's a cartridge! The 6.5 Needmore (energy-wise) is a flatter shooting 30-30.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,365
Messages
1,574,332
Members
170,008
Latest member
AshleyPasp
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top