New .404 Jeffery Ruger No. 1 rifle!

Yes, original specs ran around 2150 I think which is a nice place to be. In my other .404 the CZ, which is both bigger and heavier, loads in that range are a pussycat. I am fairly certain all the loads I shot yesterday day were well beyond that speed, especially and strangely enough, the Hornady factory loads. Both were quite peppy. The Corbon load which as I said above clocks at around 2250fps was noticeably less kick than the Hornady stuff, or maybe I was getting numb!:D The CZ loves the Triple Shock at just 2200fps and judging how this Ruger seemed to like that bullet, I will be looking into that type of load which should be much less brutal on the shoulder.

Yes, original specs ran around 2150 I think which is a nice place to be. In my other .404 the CZ, which is both bigger and heavier, loads in that range are a pussycat. I am fairly certain all the loads I shot yesterday day were well beyond that speed, especially and strangely enough, the Hornady factory loads. Both were quite peppy. The Corbon load which as I said above clocks at around 2250fps was noticeably less kick than the Hornady stuff, or maybe I was getting numb!:D The CZ loves the Triple Shock at just 2200fps and judging how this Ruger seemed to like that bullet, I will be looking into that type of load which should be much less brutal on the shoulder.

Apparently there are at least two velocity levels for the .404 in factory loaded ammunition, the original spec 2100+ and the considerably faster one - a proverbally "+P " loading - although they probably don't call it that.
At any rate and by all accounts, the .404 Jfry is a very fine cartridge, within my recoil tolerance, besides also being significantly historic.
Those factors are why I keep making sober threats to get one, sooner or later.
Until then, I must hang my head in shame whenever I read about yours as well as DOC-404's and other member's experiences with this cartridge.

Last edited:
Congrats on the rifle. It really looks stout with that barrel. Now I'm wondering why I haven't shot my CZ 404 in almost a year. That has to change in the next two weeks.

Ses, congrats on a great new long arm.
I've long admired the Ruger No1, but have had very little to do with them, until now.
I'm currently still in the U.S, on my way to Dallas convention.
Been shooting LOTS in the past week, including a No1 chambered in 50 B&M Alaskan.
Wow, it kicked like a mule with a bee up it's ass !!!
I think the factory stock has just a wee bit too much drop at heel for anything .375 and over, otherwise a very fine rifle to shoot and no doubt hunt with.

Congrats again, happy shooting with that piece.

Thanks Paul! I agree there is something about the design that does NOT lend itself to easy shooting with the big bad boy calibers. My .450-400 was the same way. It would give me recoil headache which is why I sold it and bought a CZ .404 Jeff. Longer, heavier, much better pad. Now this new .404 has an excellent pad in the Decelerator but even with that and a sissy pad, it still kicked pretty hard. Going to load it down to around 2150 or so and see how it behaves.

Thanks Paul! I agree there is something about the design that does NOT lend itself to easy shooting with the big bad boy calibers. My .450-400 was the same way. It would give me recoil headache which is why I sold it and bought a CZ .404 Jeff. Longer, heavier, much better pad. Now this new .404 has an excellent pad in the Decelerator but even with that and a sissy pad, it still kicked pretty hard. Going to load it down to around 2150 or so and see how it behaves.

I have a CZ 550 in 375 H&H and in 404 Jeff. I was surprised at how much more the 404 is than the 375. I actually like shooting my 375 better than my 30-06 in a lightweight composite stock.

Tried my first handload in this today. Four rounds loaded with 72grs of IMR4320 (Barnes recommended powder) behind their Triple Shock went into one ragged hole at 100 yds. No bigger than 1/2" center to center. Next half grain up did the same with 3 rounds, next load, 73grs did just under an inch with 4. This thing really shoots! I was really torqued about one thing though! My newly acquired and not cheap front sight hood went sailing into orbit around boom number 4 and I didn't notice until I got home!!:mad: I called the rangemaster and he had a quick look and didn't see it. As it was early in the day with nothing else to do I drove back (60 mile round trip!), and found it!:D This is the spring plunger type of sight hood too, which really should have held. I guess that says something about the recoil generated!:rolleyes:

This is terribly off-topic...but my room in Dallas for DSC was #404.

I was hoping this was a harbinger....but alas, it was not.

A harbinger of what? A free .404 Jeffery rifle??:ROFLMAO::eek::D:p:rolleyes: LOL!!

Congrats on the purchase, it sounds like you have a fine shooting rifle!

Thanks DOC and Eric! This shoots like a match rifle!

Nah....this is Texas and I voted for Reagan twice. I pay for my stuff. :p :D

Speaking of which....when are you going to sell me that rifle? :A Banana::E Frightened:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois