Nepal - Blue Sheep Hunt - Fall 2026

TheGrayRider

AH fanatic
Joined
Jun 14, 2019
Messages
550
Reaction score
2,456
Location
Indiana
Media
53
Hunting reports
Africa
3
USA/Canada
1
Australia/NZ
1
Member of
NWTF/RMEF/NRA/ECC/DSC/SCI/RMBHSF/WSF
Hunted
Cameroon/RSA/New Zealand/Botswana/Mexico/Alaska
I am booked for a blue sheep hunt in the Himalayan Mountains of Nepal in Fall 2026 with Neal & Brownlee.

I have met and spoken with a couple of other hunters on another hunting forum who have been on this blue sheep hunt. Has anyone on Africa Hunting Forum hunted blue sheep in Nepal? If so, I would like to meet and talk about the trip.

I have read the book, The Snow Leopard, by Peter Mattheison and remain fascinated and privileged with the opportunity to finally visit Nepal and the Himalayan mountains.

Thanks in advance and happy hunting to all, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.
 
I took the Shikar to Nepal in 1996 and hunted Blue Sheep with Mahesh Busnyat of Himalayan Safaris. His attention to detail was impeccable, the Sherpa’s were amazing mountaineers.

I’m happy to share my experiences, but obviously things change over the course of of three decades.

I can’t wait to read your report and reminisce!

John Ed
 
Gosh, another dream Hunt! Cannot wait to read your report.
 
Very very cool!
 
I have not been on that hunt, but I was in Nepal last year. Kathmandu is an interesting city make sure you have some sightsee time there, but it's highly air polluted.
 
Fantastic ! I visited Nepal 25 years ago. I had been on my Jim Corbett pilgrimage. Visited Kaladhungi and Nani Tal where Jim lived. Met an old man who remembered him.
We travelled in a crazy bus journey from Mahendranegar to Kathmandu, heart in mouth more than occasionally.
Visit Durbar Square and The Kukri Shop in Kathmandu. Pick up a genuine Kukri. They will do a great trade for a Leatherman!

IMG_1140.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Man, that sounds awesome. If I was offered the same for free in 2026 I’m still not certain I would physically be able to pull it off. :-). Good luck with your training and have an awesome trip!
 
Congrats, can't wait to read/hear about the hunt. I know there's a fair number of us with the Sheep bug on here
 
Fantastic ! I visited Nepal 25 years ago. I had been on my Jim Corbett pilgrimage. Visited Kaladhungi and Nani Tal where Jim lived. Met an old man who remembered him.
We travelled in a crazy bus journey from Mahendranegar to Kathmandu, heart in mouth more than occasionally.
Visit Durbar Square and The Kukri Shop in Kathmandu. Pick up a genuine Kukri. They will do a great trade for a Leatherman!

View attachment 671519
Absolutely! Worth poking around sight seeing, getting to know the culture and looking for older Kukri or kora blades. :)
 
A couple of older blades from Nepal. Many or most have various markings or symbols as shown in pics. IMO. Most older Nepalese blades are of very high quality.

Pics are of Nepalese Kukri (Kukuri) and Kora

IMG_0426.jpeg
IMG_0428.jpeg
 
Stair steppers are ok. Wearing a harness and dragging a tire or weight up hill works the legs, heart and lungs. Hold your breath while working hard helps prepare for being out of breath.

Or buy one of the many training devices. You can’t be too prepared for the Himalayas

 
Good plan. Anything that builds C-V efficiency. The Gurkha trial is famous with participants in competitive race on tough, steep trail uphill for 3 miles carrying head-strapped pack with 55 pounds of sand. Brutal.

“Back in the day”, when doing regular DIY hunts in AK, I found the best training was putting about 30-40 pounds of sand in well-fitted daypack three or four times a week at least 3 months before trip and fast walking/trotting in mixture of hilly, steep terrain around house. The older you get the longer the prep time. I’m lucky to have plenty of old roads and trails around here- anywhere from 7500 ft at my house to well over 12,000 ft about 30 minutes away. Do it while you can, age and priorities can get in the way :)
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,332
Messages
1,573,229
Members
169,724
Latest member
MarcellaFr
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top