Need Information on this single shot big bore......

JKO HUNTING SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2011
AH fanatic
Reviews
6
Joined
Aug 16, 2018
Messages
672
Reaction score
1,917
Location
South Africa
Website
jkosafaris.com
Deals & offers
27
Media
584
Member of
PHASA, DSC, SCI
Hunted
South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Burkina Faso, Zambia, Spain, Uganda, Greenland, Cameroon
Hello fellow hunters,

The other night I attended a "braai" in South Africa hosted by a friend that is busy arranging our annual meat hunting trip for the year. Because I am a professional hunter the talks of dangerous game hunting is always a part of the discussion....

Then one of the older gentleman that will be joining us this year brought out a rifle I have never seen before. It is called a Danzig. There is NO mention to what calibre it could be or when it was made... Apparently his great grand father used this rifle to cull / hunt elephant and other dangerous game in Rhodesia and other African Countries.

What is strange is that when the bolt is open it is 90 degrees straight up?

Here with the pictures, I apologize that some of them might not be the best of quality.... Lighting was not great and it was rather late in the evening.... lol :D Cheers:

IMG_4578.jpg
IMG_4579.jpg
IMG_4580.jpg
IMG_4581.jpg
IMG_4582.jpg
IMG_4583.jpg
IMG_4584.jpg


I am looking forward to the discussion and finding out more about this piece of history!

All my best,

Jacques Spamer
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.54.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.54.25 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 194
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.54.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.54.27 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 167
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.54.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.54.29 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 174
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.54.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.54.31 PM.png
    951.2 KB · Views: 176
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.54.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.54.32 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 174
Thank you guys! Reading this I do not really see this being used on elephant as it is a little slow so penetration would have been a problem in my eyes.... What would your thoughts be? Just another campfire story?
 
What a cool find. Looking at the specs, it would be similar to a 45-70 in ballistics-similar diameter but slightly lighter bullet with a higher powder charge but I would say they are in the same ballpark. 45-70 has taken the big 5 pretty easily even though it is not legal now in most countries. I would also say that these rounds came out just after the 4 and 8 bore era and to be honest they are probably more humane and efficient killers than those old beasts, even if they may seem anemic by today's standards.
 
What a cool find. Looking at the specs, it would be similar to a 45-70 in ballistics-similar diameter but slightly lighter bullet with a higher powder charge but I would say they are in the same ballpark. 45-70 has taken the big 5 pretty easily even though it is not legal now in most countries. I would also say that these rounds came out just after the 4 and 8 bore era and to be honest they are probably more humane and efficient killers than those old beasts, even if they may seem anemic by today's standards.

Definitely very cool gun and I am now going to try and find some brass for it so we can reload some ammo and shoot it! I appreciate your insight on the ballistics. I have hunted dangerous game with a 45-70 myself and it is efficient if you are close enough.

If I am correct, this specific rifle was manufactured in 1877 if I look at the date stamped onto the receiver action.
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,271
Messages
1,571,239
Members
169,289
Latest member
ShoshanaR4
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top