Need help with boots

For my feet, I haven't found anything better than Crispi. I've pretty much lived in a pair of uninsulated Crispi Nevada GTX for the last two years. Work (on my feet all day- concrete to soil); hunting (mostly upland but some big game) and leisure, they're what I wear. I can't say enough good about them.

I have an H width foot (Thats past EEEE) and I live in Redwings boots and sketcher wide fit shoes. I've only hunted SA twice and I would not have a problem wearing my Sketcher hiking shoe and a pair of gators on my next SA safari.

I have Danner, AKU, Russel, Bean, and Limmer hunting boots, all of them leather. For AFrica I recently got a pair of Keen boots and have been wearing them daily. They were comfortable from the beginning, not heavy, and well ventilated. No GoreTex. I really like them.

Ditto what @375Fox said about the actual miles and what Stuart said about good sooks. Socks, like boots, are a personal thing. I found some Merrill socks I LOVE and plan to buy more because, you know, good things often fall by the wayside and aren't manufactured anymore.

My 7 days... We hiked an average of just under 5 miles each day, with a high of 8.5. That's just not that much, even for a fat, bald, older guy like me.

I have Danner, AKU, Russel, Bean, and Limmer hunting boots, all of them leather.
Are you referring to Limmer Boots from NH.... Married a Mt. girl from Conway.. got close to 40 years on my Limmer Hiking boots still going strong

Got two pairs of Timberland, good enough for me

Heading to SA in June and trying to get boots lined up to ensure they're broken in before the trip. I had ordered a pair of the Lowa Zephyr Mid TF boots but they are just a bit too narrow. They felt fine until I took a few steps and realized some of their side plastic/rubber/exoskeleton was pressing in to my foot on each step. So, they're headed back. Does look like Lowa makes a wide version of that boot.

Can't bring myself to buy the $400 Courteny Selos boots both due to price and that it seems they do not have a wide version either.

Can anyone recommend some wide boot options that would be a good for safari in SA?

Also, how bad would GoreTex boots be? I realize they would impair ventilation a but. But I'll also be there in June so not quite a hot time of year. As I live in the Pacific NW, it would also be nice to have boots useable around here as well in our wet weather.

Get the Lowa GTX in wide. I have these in narrow width and that was why I bought them. With the proper insoles the Lowa are THEmost comfortable and lightweight I have ever owned. The Courtney’s usually run wide to me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.31.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.31.16 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.31.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.31.23 PM.png
    423.5 KB · Views: 68
Ditto what @375Fox said about the actual miles and what Stuart said about good sooks. Socks, like boots, are a personal thing. I found some Merrill socks I LOVE and plan to buy more because, you know, good things often fall by the wayside and aren't manufactured anymore.

My 7 days... We hiked an average of just under 5 miles each day, with a high of 8.5. That's just not that much, even for a fat, bald, older guy like me.
That’s actually a really high average from what I’ve experienced. My hunt in eastern cape has been only South Africa/Namibia hunt I’ve done any significant walking on aside from eland. I enjoyed the change from other hunts. In Limpopo I’d be really surprised if I did more than a mile or two a day on three trips. Just drive, spot, plan a short stalk.

I am in the anti-Gore Tex crowd.

I have had foot rot in a lot milder places than Africa.

Have a look at the Lundhags site:

https://www.lundhags.com/en/footwear/men/

Back in the ‘90s, these were all the rage. In particular, the Royal Marines used to throw away their issue boots and buy these. The great thing is that the company will repair and resole them.

You might like to think about Vibram or Commando soles. The effective difference is that Vibram soles are stuck on, Commando soles stitched onto the upper. In practice it doesn’t make any difference.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.32.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.32.22 PM.png
    959.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.32.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.32.23 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.32.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.32.26 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
Kenetrek Desert Safari - Europtic sometimes has 'em on 1/2 price sale...but last pair i bought were 280. My son has taken my old pair on mtn hunts and said the soles were rather slippery on rocks (not worn out, but I suspect, or hope that the soles are different on their mtn boots.) Perfect for Africa. I've used Keen in wet environments to keep feet dry (mainly rubber,) but got the absolute worst case of African athlete's foot in Namibia years back! NEVER again. Always Kenetrek. 'Just wear em for a couple weeks in advance...

Are you referring to Limmer Boots from NH.... Married a Mt. girl from Conway.. got close to 40 years on my Limmer Hiking boots still going strong
Yep... that's it. Limmer Lightweights. Great rough country/mountain boots. I use them for chukar hunting mainly and have some miles on them. Doesn't look like they are going to wear out before I do.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.33.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.33.12 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.33.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 2.33.15 PM.png
    305 KB · Views: 77
Thanks all. I have an REI about 20 mins away so I'm going to head over there and check out what they have. I currently have a paid of Keen boots but they're nearing end of usability with really not all that time/distance in the. They have worn out quicker than I expected them to. Will look at Salomon and other Lowa options in stock. Will check out the Merrels though I read their support isn't all that great and that may not work well with my plantar fasciitis.

That’s actually a really high average from what I’ve experienced. My hunt in eastern cape has been only South Africa/Namibia hunt I’ve done any significant walking on aside from eland. I enjoyed the change from other hunts. In Limpopo I’d be really surprised if I did more than a mile or two a day on three trips. Just drive, spot, plan a short stalk.

My PH was (is) a 29 year old very much in shape Rugby player. I think he just liked seeing if he could walk the fat Alaskan into the ground. :ROFLMAO: Frankly, I was kind of expecting a bit more... and after hiking on the tundra here, it was EASY walking, IMHO. Well, except for some hills.

192020661_234417151350421_1724890466849822745_n.jpg

I have merrel work boots and they are nice, they are comfortable with planter fascitis, the heel support is good, they only have a few models in wide, I’ve used thourogood, keen, Lowe, haix, timberland pro and danners as well as a few others, I typically go through a pair of boots every year or two, I haven’t hunted Africa yet but use my boots on a daily basis outside in varied terrain in all types of weather and conditions, they all were comfortable until I developed planter fasciitis after that it seems to me anyways that the merrels are the only comfortabl boots , but everybody’s feet are different and what works for me may not work for you, good luck in your search

Yep... that's it. Limmer Lightweights. Great rough country/mountain boots. I use them for chukar hunting mainly and have some miles on them. Doesn't look like they are going to wear out before I do.
Didn't have light weights when mine were made by Peter in Intervale NH

REI was a bit light on inventory to try on. It was good to be able to take my own insoles to try out some boots though.

Tried some wide Lowa and there is just something about the (for lack of better word) pivot point where the upper material bends when picked heel off the ground. Where is presses in from that flex just hits just the wrong spot on my foot. Happened on 3 diff Lowa boots I've tried now, in both regular and wide. So Lowa boots are out.

Tried some Salomon Quest 4 GTX and those felt great. No slipping on REI's 'trail path' they had in stock, nice and comfy walking around. A lot lighter weight than they look. And, with GoreTex, they'd be usable here in Pac NW. They only had the black/black in store though so I didn't buy yet.

Going to look around for some more mid style ones though vs full on boots. Will likely stick with Salomon now that I know they fit me even without wide version.

Heading to SA in June and trying to get boots lined up to ensure they're broken in before the trip. I had ordered a pair of the Lowa Zephyr Mid TF boots but they are just a bit too narrow. They felt fine until I took a few steps and realized some of their side plastic/rubber/exoskeleton was pressing in to my foot on each step. So, they're headed back. Does look like Lowa makes a wide version of that boot.

Can't bring myself to buy the $400 Courteny Selos boots both due to price and that it seems they do not have a wide version either.

Can anyone recommend some wide boot options that would be a good for safari in SA?

Also, how bad would GoreTex boots be? I realize they would impair ventilation a but. But I'll also be there in June so not quite a hot time of year. As I live in the Pacific NW, it would also be nice to have boots useable around here as well in our wet weather.

I’m a wide foot as well. I went with Courteney and now have wide versions of the Selous, Hunter and Safari. They are definitely available in wide widths. I did 10 consecutive days in the Selous boots on Safari last year.

They are heavy. That weight did become more noticeable as the hunt wore on. I found the addition of a Sole brand insole helped tremendously for comfort.

That all said; they are tough as nails. I’m a believer in the tire tread sole. We went through some nasty thickets in pursuit of my Buff. A lesser pair of boots would have undoubtedly been punctured.

I’ve come to enjoy the Safari model the most. It’s nearly a daily wear boot for me now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you