Need help with boots

xbr897

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Heading to SA in June and trying to get boots lined up to ensure they're broken in before the trip. I had ordered a pair of the Lowa Zephyr Mid TF boots but they are just a bit too narrow. They felt fine until I took a few steps and realized some of their side plastic/rubber/exoskeleton was pressing in to my foot on each step. So, they're headed back. Does look like Lowa makes a wide version of that boot.

Can't bring myself to buy the $400 Courteny Selos boots both due to price and that it seems they do not have a wide version either.

Can anyone recommend some wide boot options that would be a good for safari in SA?

Also, how bad would GoreTex boots be? I realize they would impair ventilation a but. But I'll also be there in June so not quite a hot time of year. As I live in the Pacific NW, it would also be nice to have boots useable around here as well in our wet weather.

Heading to SA in June and trying to get boots lined up to ensure they're broken in before the trip. I had ordered a pair of the Lowa Zephyr Mid TF boots but they are just a bit too narrow. They felt fine until I took a few steps and realized some of their side plastic/rubber/exoskeleton was pressing in to my foot on each step. So, they're headed back. Does look like Lowa makes a wide version of that boot.

Can't bring myself to buy the $400 Courteny Selos boots both due to price and that it seems they do not have a wide version either.

Can anyone recommend some wide boot options that would be a good for safari in SA?

Also, how bad would GoreTex boots be? I realize they would impair ventilation a but. But I'll also be there in June so not quite a hot time of year. As I live in the Pacific NW, it would also be nice to have boots useable around here as well in our wet weather.

Timberland Men's White Ledge Mid Waterproof Ankle Boot​

I wear 12 EEE. I get them in 12 wide and will bring to SA this year... They break in quickly. Around a $100 on Amazon. Comfortable. 3 Different Colors. I wear them to work and hunt in.

**I also have Danner and some other high end purpose made boots that I wear for other conditions, but they are more than required for a 10 to 21 day Safari in SA; IMHO...

Timberland Men's Anti-Fatigue Hiking Waterproof Leather Mt. Maddsen Boot. In Brown​

I have made but a single trip, so take this for whatever it's worth... I went with Lowa Renegades; they were fabulous. I almost went with Danner Jackals; they are my lightweight/hike a lot spring bear boots up in here in AK. They would have been just fine too. Oh... and I hunted the rocky/hilly areas of the Eastern Cape, and I'm no mountain climber.

do not waste your money on courtney's
other recommendations above will do fine
i wear salomon quest gore tex
i do not suffer from hot feet, others may.

wear quality socks!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have wide feet 10 EEEE...My go to shoe around the house of late is either a Merrill or Keen both make a "Wide" shoe that fits, the Merrill's seem a bit wider and the soles seem to grip better on rocks. My African shoes are Russell's that fit fit wonderfully and I can sneak up on the house cat My biggest complaint with the Merrill's or shoes like them is that they are Noisy compared to the Russells as their soles are tooo stiff . I think it depends on where and what you're hunting and what time of year...rocks, mountains, plains, woods, leaves on the trees or on the ground .. For those of us that are envious of folks that can wear any shoe our options are limited... I would look for a shoe with the most flexible sole your feet can live with.

Something else to consider, I don’t know any details of your hunt, but generally the walking done on plains game hunts is greatly exaggerated. You lose more opportunity tracking for miles than you do driving around trying to find another animal. Maybe you’d walk a mile or two a day unless you wound an animal on most plains game hunts in relatively flat ground. Most hunts you’d be fine to hunt in tennis shoes if you really wanted. I wear Merrel hiking shoes when I go to Africa. I think any boot you choose will be fine as long as you are just hunting plains game.

I have Lowa Renegades for 5 years now.
No break in needed, hold a good grip on the rocks in the Khomas Highlands!
They also keep my feet cool.
Brgds,
Marc

my family and i were in South Africa last June and July. we wore Timberland boots and had no issues at all. we walked over 30 miles on our trip and would not hesitate to wear them back.

Wear whatever you hunt in here when it’s 30-50 degrees. Can’t beat a pair of boots with a few seasons under their belt.

I just bought a new pair of Courteney Safari's, the ones made with the higher last for more room above the toes. There is no change in the width though, but they just feel wider. I got a podiatrist to measure me up and make a pair of inserts to give arch support and correct a pronation and now these are the most comfortable footwear I have ever had. So why a Courteney? Because they start flat inside so you can add the perfect insole without ripping out whatever is in there first.

I would highly recommend Salomon boots. They are tough as nails, light weight and won’t break the bank. Mine have a lot of time in the bush and are still holding up well, quick break in as well.

0F629E3E-487D-4867-8321-EAD65AE10A03.jpeg

FFBFDF96-A46C-4F79-BBB2-2C9BE1DB840B.jpeg

try Kenetrek boots. they have lots of varieties and I have worn the ankle height hiking boot on 3 safaris in Limpopo and they are great. Comfortable and tough.

I have wide feet, so I feel your need. I'm a pretty avid hiker and in my fairly long experience (especially as a hiker) I think there is no difference between the walking you do while hunting and the walking you do while hiking.

I used to wear Swiss army boots (you know, those 3-lb-each monsters from the 1970s) all the way up 14,000 feet of the Colorado Rockies. Benefit: never a stabbed toe, super rigid soles.

Bepi.jpg

More recently, I've switched to a pair of Zamberlan hiking boots (I believe they are VIOZ GTX) for any truly challenging conditions--for everything else in dry weather I haven't found anything that beats my Courteney "Safari" model boots. Took them to the Eastern Cape and never once did I have to even *think* about my feet while hunting. For anything wet, I've never found my Le Chameaus wanting, as long as the weather is not sub-zero.

Bottom line: I would go to REI (or similar store), try out as many boots as possible--together with hiking socks, which make a huge difference--and see what your feet like. Nothing magical about hunting that requires a specialized boot as opposed to hiking.

I bought the Courtney boots and did not like them; no arch support and too heavy. Believe or not my favorite boots on two safaris are my simple Columbia boots; light and great arch support. On my last hunt walked 10-12 miles every day for 10 days and no problem. Just don’t fall for hype wear what works for you

Have worn Danners for many years. Use the vibram and air bobs for different conditions. Have worn out 3/4 pairs and recently bought a new pair from Midway as a backup to the boots I have. Would buy them again!!!

I wear Courtney's, but thats more to do with things other than fit and feel. Lowa, Saloman, Crispi, etc all make boots that will serve you very well, just find one you like.

I have several pairs of Crispi boots, I am very happy with all of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg