Need advice on scopes for two rifles

Eric Anderson

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA
First rifle: Calf Gustaf chambered in 30-06
My Dad bought it in Germany in the late 70’s. Apparently they made hunting rifles for a few years.
Right now it has a Cabellas brand caliber specific scope on it because my little sister “Borrowed” the Leopuld on it....
Not the best clarity, and unusable to me above 10x, but the range marks are spot on for my preferred load, and I have done some incredible long range snap shots with it.
It doesn’t hold a zero after the baggage handlers get ahold of the rifle case though.
I would like to put a leopuld vx5 HD on it, but I realized how dependent I have gotten on those range marks.
Is the turret setup on the vx5 HD easy to use? I really don’t understand it, I didn’t even use optics until I hit 30, and I realize I could use instruction on how to properly use a scope, adjust parallax, ect...

My second rifle needing glass is a .243 I picked up on a whim yesterday. Not married to Leopold, but looking for a good scope in the $800-$1000 range for pest shooting at max range of about 350 yards, with most shots being sub 200. I don’t really use magnification above 10x fit hunting, usually I stay below 6x.

If you like the BDC capability and you like Leupold, look at a CDS scope. They are excellent and work great.

I'm not familiar with range marks. For years I have just used the max 0 that has a mid-range height of 3", then if longer range I move the horizontal wire to the top of the back, then if farther, estimated 12" above the back. If farther still I don't shoot. However a year or so back I got a Leupold VX-6 4-24x and had an elevation turret made for the specific load. It registers to 1050 yards. I haven't shot any animals with it but using a rangefinder on rocks shows it is more precise than I am. For situations where the shooter has time to check the distance, then set the dial, it works great; but I find for most big game use I still prefer my 3-position hold.

I have a Trijicon Accupoint 4-16x50 with 30mm tube and BAC triangle post (Part Number TR29-C-200134).
I bought it earlier this year, but decided to go with a Leupold instead.
I've had two sets of rings on it, both Warne rings for my CZ550.
One set is still currently on it they are Warne QD 30mm High rings with matte finish.
This would probably be a good fit for your 243 if you were interested.

PM me if you would like to talk.

Check out the Sightron line. Some good value and selection in their hunting scopes.

On my 30-06 bolt gun I still use an ancient Baush & Lomb 2.5-10x. It has worked great and I can’t see changing it. It has rarely killed anything over 350 yards (coyotes to elk) and it only requires a top of back hold using maximum point blank range.
My 243 I use for a walking varminter as well as deer and antelope. It carries a 4.5-14x. I have been known to take antelope in wide open prairies to 435 yards, but if I can get closer, I do.
3-9x or there about scan handle any situation a 30-06 is capable of IMO. For years I used a fixed 4x Redfield I killed game to 350 yards. Today everyone favors “long range sniping” which to me takes half the pleasure out of a hunt.
But everyone needs to follow their own path. Please just don’t pull the trigger at long range on the elk I have been stalking all day to get to 200 yards. That’s inappropriate.
Good luck in your decision just consider spending as much as you can on a quality brand scope. You can usually fix a bad shooting rifle, but there’s nothing you can do about a bad scope.

I am a big fan of Leupold scopes, for the money. They do have that very uncomplicated Boone and Crocket reticle with simple range marks.

Otherwise in your price range, find a good used or close out, or left over new, Ziess Conquest HD5 in 2-10 or go up to the 3-15 with the Z600 reticle for a 30-06, not sure on a 243 but suspect the same, possibly a Z800.
Screenshot_20180808-113841.png

@ActionBob, The Zeiss have good glass but their scopes are designed for the European market. Turret rotation to move the point of impact is backwards of standard convention and the turrets have no numbers on them. They have since started marketing to the American market and corrected those two flaws with a new line, the V6.

Edit to the OP, I would not buy a used scope more than two years old. Glass is improving with every generation of scope and the older models glass is nowhere near as good as new.

Last edited:
While you are still looking, check out the 3-9 X Nikon Monarch scopes with BDC. their Spot on Ballistics Calculator will give you the best fit of power settings to be zeroed at normal hunting distances. My Nikon scopes have held up over time just like my Leupolds. This is a "blonds vs brunettes" issue. But at least you have the opportunity to look over the field.:)

Yep I’ll have to agree with Shootist43, Nikon makes some top quality optics.

I have little experience with Nikon scopes, but I have had Nikon cameras and lenses since 1968 when I bought my first one while on R&R in Japan. Both the cameras and the lenses are superb examples. I'd expect their scopes to be equally good.

The Leupold HD 5 is an awesome scope.
The new CDS dial works great and I like it more than my B&C reticle. Great clarity and the best never needed warranty and service. Probably the most popular scope I sell right now and great value for the price. 2X10X 42 for your 06 and 3X15X44 for your 243. You wil never look back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross