Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
My good e-friend @spike.t , whom I have yet to drive up to see, suggested it would be fun to divulge the name of our vehicles, and I agree. This is not the brand name you understand, but the beast or beautie's given name, like our dog's name, a signature to a character.

So here is a start:
D4FF0BDE-DD22-464E-857D-B434B5433EAF.jpeg

The one on the left is Carruthers as you all know, a 1954 Series 1 86 inch, not named after anyone in particular, but rather a generic British gentleman who did many proper safaris.
On the right is The Harry Selby, named after that famous PH who took Ruark on his safari, in a Landy just like this. It is a 1950 Series1 80 inch, quite rare these days. Woods, who owns this beautiful piece of working history sought and received permission from Selby's daughter to use his name.

I've called all my vehicles one name or the other but it has been when they have either broken down I have gotten them stuck out in the boonies somewhere...

This Is the third little Landy in our group belonging to Woods son Dan. It is known as The Janet Smith, the wife of the former Rhodesian prime minister, a really strong and gracious lady. It too is an 86 inch Series 1 of 1957 vintage. Here it is on the Kariba road near Makuti at the famous pee stop baobab.
9D998F68-8E5C-4D6F-8BA9-A9F54E38262B.jpeg

… how cool, all vintage Landy‘s & in Africa by name or Badge of Honor + the fact you folks have a dedicate mammoth Baobab Tree pee stop!

Nothing cool here - Volvo XC 90 SUV the grandkids call, BoBo, cuz they can’t say Volvo.

Happy Trails

On reading the title I immediately thought of Kevin, Thinking it would interest him but of course he started the thread.
We had an old Valiant once that my wife called "Bertha" short for Big Bertha, a car we bought cheap but she didn't have power steering, 20 years later and a little better off I bought a Subaru Brumby to put on historic plates for Sunday drives, still no power steering but we still enjoy Sunday outings with our dog Jessie.

This Is the third little Landy in our group belonging to Woods son Dan. It is known as The Janet Smith, the wife of the former Rhodesian prime minister, a really strong and gracious lady. It too is an 86 inch Series 1 of 1957 vintage. Here it is on the Kariba road near Makuti at the famous pee stop baobab.
View attachment 477497

I think JS came to our passing out parade at Llewelyn

gracious lady

didn’t stop to talk to me though - I was too short and too ugly

Last edited:
Double cab land cruiser- Kandakanda because of the Perkins/ADE 236 engine.
Single cab land cruiser- Ndlovu elephant

My old chevy was called “Jaws” in reference to being the “great white” truck.

Wife’s volvo was called “Tank” after it received only a scratch after it was rear ended by a Vega. The Vega had the radiator put through the windshield.

My 1997 black Ford F-150 was Blackie, she made 667,251 miles before I had to trade her in on my newer 2019 Ford F-150 named Maggie in honor of the name of her color being magnetic according to Ford.

Gertrude...no reason, just sounds like a good name! She's a diesel and gets me where I need to go!
IMG_20220216_091902166_HDR.jpg

Nice!

Only truck I have named so far is my white Toyota Tundra. Call it the Mzungu Mobile.

Actually we did have one more…a very old Toyota pickup with the cab removed. My uncles called it a death trap, we called it “The Schlep Truck”.

My two F-250s are named after football players. The 91 with a 460 is Doug Atkins, and the 95 with the 7.3 Powerstroke is John Riggins.
My old 05 Dodge Cummins 3500 4x4 6 speed stick is just "The Truck".

@Kevin Peacocke I've never named airplanes, boats or vehicles so can't speak to that but I do love those Landy's. Are you still able to find parts fairly easily to keep them maintained? In a former life I was an exotic car mechanic so am certainly well versed in keeping English vehicles running (home before dark). Thanks for sharing those photos.

@Kevin Peacocke I've never named airplanes, boats or vehicles so can't speak to that but I do love those Landy's. Are you still able to find parts fairly easily to keep them maintained? In a former life I was an exotic car mechanic so am certainly well versed in keeping English vehicles running (home before dark). Thanks for sharing those photos.
Amazingly yes Sourdough, you can get anything and everything.

And here guys, is the latest addition to our fleet, and probably the last - a series 2A station wagon for my wife to nip up to the shops and to the wag zine dog park. In Harare these days you need a Landy to get to the shops...
And her name is Ermintrude, named by the wife, means strength.
D7604DDF-A97D-405B-9F5A-942250C38216.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross