NAMIBIA: Ozondjahe Namibia Hunting Safaris

Wow, We are really going down a rabbit hole here. Military and police applications will still retain some hollow point designs and jacket them into FMJ or as a frangible round trg or one that will have the jacket seperating from the core. Here is a link that will get you started into the world of match grade shooting. 308 Winchester for Sniping
What i am alluding to above is simply that the M118 in any configuration is a poor choice for hunting, when there are so many other great choices out there, such as indicated by Divernhunter.

Yeah I suppose its like most hunting, the accuracy of your shot counts more than the size of the hole. Yes its US issue 175gr SMKBTHP. Thats why I was asking how it would do as a hunting round. It shoots sub MOA.

Like the others I do not believe this round would be a good Choice. But let me give you one more thought you are paying for the animals you shoot if blood is drawn its yours even if you never find it, so my question is this is it worth spending thousands of dollars just to use a M118LR non mushrooming round and taking the chance of not finding it or would it not be better to use a good hunting bullet that dosn't cost any more then the M118LR? Hmmm

I'm not concerned about cost I'd much rather use the correct round. I'm still learning about the different bullets I didn't know the round was designed to not expand I just knew it was a hollow point. I really appreciate all of the information and I will deffinetely not be using M118.

Having just returned from a two week trip, I would say shot placement is absolutely critical!!! I originally thought my .308 would be adequate, but was told bigger when I put both Gemsbok and Zebra on my list. I ended up bring my .338 win mag and was glad I had it!!! I brought Hornady superformance 200 grain BT 3030 FPS at muzzle. Zebra was 770 Lbs. Couldnt believe how thick the hide is on animal and covered in butterfat. Shot thru the heart animal still ran over 100 yards. If you have bigger consider it.

The M118LR has a relatively thick jacket and a very small HP. They might expand a little purely by accident, but are more likely to just bend and tumble. There a many hunting rounds that are quite accurate and would be much more effective than the military M118. I like the Swift A Frames a lot. Even a plain jane 180gr Remington Core Lock would be much better.

Planning a trip there myself

I totally understand the problem of waiting . I am currently planning a trip with them (first time to Africa) for june of 2015. I have over 2 years to wait and I am on their website every day torturing myself LOL. I too have done a lot of research and every thing I read leads to this outfit. I AM SO EXCITED. I am planning on hunting Greater Kudu, Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest, Impala, Blesbok, Springbok, Blue Wildebeest and Warthog with my bow. Good Luck on your trip. I will be looking for your pics when you get back.:cool:

go buy some factory ammunition loaded with nice bullets that are there for you, they will work if you put them in the correct place. why a lot of people get so worked up about this and that with bullets i havent got a clue... maybe most people in the past(100+ plus years) have been doing it wrong including myself....i realise there are bullets that are not tough enough, but .............................................

Having just returned from a two week trip, I would say shot placement is absolutely critical!!! I originally thought my .308 would be adequate, but was told bigger when I put both Gemsbok and Zebra on my list. I ended up bring my .338 win mag and was glad I had it!!! I brought Hornady superformance 200 grain BT 3030 FPS at muzzle. Zebra was 770 Lbs. Couldnt believe how thick the hide is on animal and covered in butterfat. Shot thru the heart animal still ran over 100 yards. If you have bigger consider it.

stuart a heart shot animal will do an arched back with legs in the air then run till it falls over, 100 hundred yards is on auto pilot....you say shot placement is critical which is the main thing, thats great, but then you want to match it with velocities i have never seen any where near, as i use factory ammo . my son shot his waterbuck with his .223 ,and lechwe and puku with his .22 hornet, good shot placement. yes animals in africa have thick hides , but it isnt just to protect them from the claws/teeth of the predators it is also to protect them from all the nasty harsh bush thorns etc that they live in. i know this wont stop the bullet talk, but sh-t just go and enjoy yourselves...

I totally understand the problem of waiting . I am currently planning a trip with them (first time to Africa) for june of 2015. I have over 2 years to wait and I am on their website every day torturing myself LOL. I too have done a lot of research and every thing I read leads to this outfit. I AM SO EXCITED. I am planning on hunting Greater Kudu, Gemsbok, Red Hartebeest, Impala, Blesbok, Springbok, Blue Wildebeest and Warthog with my bow. Good Luck on your trip. I will be looking for your pics when you get back.:cool:

Two years is a long time, but it will go by. Keep reading.
If everyone keeps writing reports you should have good fodder for your imagination.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg