NAMIBIA: Non Exportable Elephant Bull Hunt In Bushmanland With JKO HUNTING SAFARIS

Thank you for taking the time to write up the report my friend. I am looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks for the new adventure we are tackling head on! ;-)
Yes sir! We'll soon find out what Cameroon has in store for us

Very good bull, well done. What did the tusks weigh, or estimated weight?

Good hunt, good follow up shot.

It’s hard when it doesn’t work as planned, but in the end you had a good hunt with a solid old bull (I personally am a fan of the old broken tusked ones). Congrats

Very good bull, well done. What did the tusks weigh, or estimated weight?
Thanks Kevin!

I believe the bigger one was 50 lbs. Maybe Jacques remembers if this was the actual weight. Here's a picture anyway
FDRG5512.JPG

Good hunt, good follow up shot.

It’s hard when it doesn’t work as planned, but in the end you had a good hunt with a solid old bull (I personally am a fan of the old broken tusked ones). Congrats
Dissapointment for the first shot is long time gone. It was a nice hunt and we got a really nice old bull. I have zero complaints

Waidmannsheil @Riksa ! Very well done! Did you find out what went wrong on the first shot? Too low or too high, left/right? I find frontal brainshots on elephant very difficult to picture in my mind, due to the upward angle on close shots, the depth of the target one must hit, and the lack of external marks one can use.

I hope there is more coming !

Cheers,

V.

Waidmannsheil @Riksa ! Very well done! Did you find out what went wrong on the first shot? Too low or too high, left/right? I find frontal brainshots on elephant very difficult to picture in my mind, due to the upward angle on close shots, the depth of the target one must hit, and the lack of external marks one can use.

I hope there is more coming !

Cheers,

V.
Waidmannsdank!

Even after looking at the video with slow motion I can not tell what went wrong with the first shot. The shot was where I aimed so unfortunately I can not tell what went wrong. It's surprisingly difficult shot. And more difficult than I thought it would be. Maybe I manage to do it right one day (in my next elephant hunt, whenever that will be).

Nice bull and thanks for sharing. WMH!

This hunt reminds me so much of my own. Congratulations. @Riksa are you having the tusks replicated? They are exactly what I thought my tusks would look like after extraction.

This hunt reminds me so much of my own. Congratulations. @Riksa are you having the tusks replicated? They are exactly what I thought my tusks would look like after extraction.
Thanks.

No replicas made. I have the video and what ever is stored in my memory. From an earlier hunt I have tusks home already. They are 30 lbs. so this non-trophy was actually a better trophy... Funny how things sometimes go.

Congratulations.

Thanks.

No replicas made. I have the video and what ever is stored in my memory. From an earlier hunt I have tusks home already. They are 30 lbs. so this non-trophy was actually a better trophy... Funny how things sometimes go.
Since they remind me so much of my hunt, I'd like to have replicas. My tusk was too ugly to replicate. @Riksa are you comfortable posting the video?

Since they remind me so much of my hunt, I'd like to have replicas. My tusk was too ugly to replicate. @Riksa are you comfortable posting the video?
Unfortunately I will not share the video. It could be used for wrong purposes by antihunting people and I don't want to take the risk.

Tuesday 3.11

Sharing the meat for the people in need is always a great experience. This time was no disappointment. It was also interesting to see how different the meat distribution was in this area compared to the others. Anyway, people were happy and meat made its way to the dinner tables.
P1040102.JPG

P1040119.JPG

P1040138.JPG

P1040139.JPG

P1040148.JPG
P1040153.JPG

Once the meat was distributed we went back to the place where we had gotten the elephant. In Bushmanland it was customary to burn all the remains in order not to scare other elephants away from the area. This was the total opposite compared to my previous hunt in Gonarezhou where people hoped the elephants to stay away in the future.

P1040169.JPG

P1040172.JPG

P1040179.JPG

P1040183.JPG

To my surprise the fire didn’t spread even if all the bushes seem dry. Africa is tough, even the African bushes are tough. Then it was back to camp and start packing to get to a game lodge close to Windhoek. We were only after the elephant in this area and now that we have gotten it it’s time for new adventures.
P1040216.JPG

P1040213.JPG

Wednesday 4.11

Travelling day. We took a little shorter route. Tomorrow our culling hunt will start.

During the dinner in the lodge we discuss the hunt. It’s dry so the shooting distances will be long. We will go after a cull Springbok and Gemsbok. It might very well be that my shooting abilities with my .416 Rigby is not going to be enough. We agree to go to the range the next morning and try different set ups.

Thanks Kevin!

I believe the bigger one was 50 lbs. Maybe Jacques remembers if this was the actual weight. Here's a picture anyway
View attachment 441303
Fine tuks from an old bull it is my understanding max weight of 32 pounds +- is allowed for non trophy or has this been and exception since the bull was so old?

I have no idea about any specific limits for tusk size, but it was clear that this was extraordinary non-trophy. That being said, trophy hunters would have been unlikely to take this bull as it had both tusks broken. For me it was perfect as it was really old and showed a lot of character.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.