NAMIBIA: Non Exportable Elephant Bull Hunt In Bushmanland With JKO HUNTING SAFARIS

Great elephant, congrats :D Cheers:

Thursday 5.11

After good breakfast we go to the shooting lane. I shoot different house rifles and nothing really is to my liking. It’s not that they are bad rifles, but I am not used to them. I’ve always been sensitive to the rifle and borrowing a rifle seems not like a good option. I shoot my rifle from the sticks but at 100m the grouping is not good enough to shoot a Springbok from 200m.

On top of the rifle selection I’m also facing the challenge of quad sticks. I’ve never used them before. Although it’s immediately clear that they provide great support, they are still different to shoot and without practice I’m not feeling too secure on using them. I try different set ups and I end up choosing Remington rifle in 7mm Rem with Zeiss scope.

Then we’re off to hunt. Area is in total 7500ha but only half of the area will be used during our hunting. We start seeing animals and they seem well trained and start running from a distance. After a while we start stalking. We spot a herd of Springbok and we get into position for a shot. Jacques spots a suitable cull Springbok and I make a shot from 170m. The Springbok drops on its tracks. There was plenty of time to take the shot so that certainly helped. We load the Springbok and on we go.
IMG_7471.JPG

IMG_4513.JPG

We see Gemsbok and try stalking a couple of herds and get into shooting range. Plenty of nice Gemsbok, but no cull available. So we return to the lodge to have spaghetti Bolognese lunch. After a rest we return to hunting.
IMG_7522.JPG

In the afternoon we tried to find gemsbok and had several blown stalks. Gemsbok eyesight was proven very good. Also wind got us busted a couple of times. On last light we got a chance to take a shot on cull Gemsbok. It stopped upon a whistle, but walked 1 step too far. Vitals where to large extent covered by a bush. I tried to shoot trough the bush, but either I hit a branch or made a bad shot. Clean miss is still a lot better than a bad hit. Gemsbok won this part clearly. Good for them.

We ended the day with BBQ and some cold beverages. No complains. New day tomorrow.

IMG_7489.JPG
IMG_7527.JPG
AHZK2806.JPG
WWZV8906.JPG

Friday 6.11

We took round 2 with the Gemsbok. Early in the morning there was no wind at all and then the wind picked up and started swirling. We made several stalks but got busted. Gemsbok were really cautious today. Finally we got to a position for a 220 yard shot. The right Gemsbok had it’s vitals covered with some light bushes. Jacques instructed to shoot through them. I took the shot but pulled it. Poor confidence to shoot with new sticks, new rifle and the missed shot the day before. Luckily nobody got wounded and the only harm was to my self-confidence.
UFYY0196.JPG

We returned to the lodge for lunch. After the lunch I practiced with the stick and the rifle. Just cold practice, but still it made me understand the sticks and the rifle a lot better. Why didn’t I do this before…

We continue our hunt and not too far we see some Gemsbok some 300 meters away. Quick stalk and finally we are lucky. They are in thicker stuff and wind is in our favour. We get into position and sticks go up. I’ll wait when several Gemsbok pass through an opening. Finally Jacques gives an OK to take a shot for a Gemsbok bull and whistles. The bull stops slightly quartering away. As I’m aiming and steadying myself, a calf walks behind the bull. “Wait”. Both the bull and calf continue. A new whistle. This time the bull stops broadside. I aim and squeeze the trigger. Shot goes of well. I know this time I did not pull the shot. Also the reaction from the bull is good although it does not drop immediately.

We give the bull a little time and then walk to the place where the bull stood. No blood trail to follow. So bullet did probably not go through. We start following tracks that we believe belong to the bull that was shot. After following 100 meters there is still no blood. The bull is following the rest of the herd. What the hell?

We continue following and finally see some blood, but not much. We can see that the bull’s hoofs are opening up. There is some more blood also now. Then the bull’s tracks separate from the rest of the group.

Bull has been laying down under a bush and there is more blood. It’s also dragging one of the legs. It’s surprising to me that the bull has gone this far. I thought that the shot was good and it seems that so did Jacques. We call the tracker to come help us to follow and a little later also ask the lodge to send a dog to us.

We follow the track and the bull is stopping almost behind each bigger bush now. It’s clearly not feeling well. Then I hear a grunt. Jacques has heard the same. We see the bull laying some 40 meters from us. It can not get up anymore. I go to the side and take a shot on the bull. First shot is through the bush and hits the bull the stomach. I walk a little and get a clear shot on the neck. Finally the bull is down for good.
IMG_7529.JPG

The first shot was a little too low on the shoulder. The bullet had broken on the shoulder and not travelled through the ribcage. Not perfect shot I admit, but I was also surprised to see the bullet performance. Those things together explained why the bull didn’t drop earlier. I feel sorry for the bull, but luckily we were able to finish things anyway.
IMG_7541.JPG

While loading the Gemsbok an Ostrich came to check us. They are not shot in this lodge so there are not afraid of human at all. We return to lodge and check on the way whether there would be some Springbok that we could chase. There were none so it was dinner time. T-Bone steaks were good! Jacques seems to like his stakes rare...
IMG_7569.JPG

IMG_7573.JPG

This is to be my last day hunting with Jacques and Chris as they will leave to Caprive the following morning. I’m planning to continue my hunting with the lodge owner as my flight is scheduled to departure only the day after.

Saturday 7.11

During breakfast we discuss the flights and there is confusion whether Air Namibia is flying international flights or not. I’m not concerned as I have not received any cancellation information for my flight. We check Air Namibia webpage and unfortunately Air Namibia has cancelled all international flights until further notice.

We quickly check options and I get a seat from Ethiopian flight leaving today 14:30. Instead of hunting I’ll go packing. Thank you Air Namibia for great service. Happy to buy services from you in the future, should you make it through the pandemic… NOT!
IMG_7626.JPG

This means that the current hunting trip has come to an end a day shorter than planned. I arrived a day earlier however, so I got exactly what was ordered in the beginning.

I’d like to thank everyone who made this hunt such a memorable experience. We had plenty of fun both hunting and in the camp.

Thanks Kevin!

I believe the bigger one was 50 lbs. Maybe Jacques remembers if this was the actual weight. Here's a picture anyway
View attachment 441303
I checked the actual tusk weight from Jacques. The bigger tusk weighted 62lbs and the smaller one was high fifties. Jacques also mentioned that this bull had bigger body than any other bull he has hunted. It was a special bull indeed.

Great elephant and fun hunt. Thank you for sharing it with us. Congratulations to you and Jacques on a wonderful hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you