NAMIBIA: Ndumo Hunting Safari’s Buffalo Hunt With A 9.3x62

Very nice! A wonderful trip.

A question I’ve always been curious about regarding meeting minimum energy requirements: how do they know? You’ve clearly done the work to make sure your 9.3 meets the minimum energy requirements, but how would the game department ever know otherwise? Do they infer your load may need to be tested once you are there?

luckily my 9.3 also meets the minimums ;-)

Well done, Hennie. What a pleasure to relive your adventure. My best to you and Adre.

Great article, sounds like an awesome experience.

Great video and story involving my favorite cartridge! Well done.

A question I’ve always been curious about regarding meeting minimum energy requirements: how do they know? You’ve clearly done the work to make sure your 9.3 meets the minimum energy requirements, but how would the game department ever know otherwise? Do they infer your load may need to be tested once you are there?

That's the million dollar question! Same issue in Zim around a 9.3 apparently.

I'd put good money on not a single game department in an African country having a functional chrony and knowing how to use it. And I'd put an elephant trophy fee on none of them having a clue how to calculate the muzzle energy even if they did correctly measure the MV. And they'd need to know the bullet weight. Which they'd need to take your word for - or dismantle a round and have a calibrated reloading scale. A working chrony, reloading scale and physics knowledge all in the one place that you're going hunting?? If you're that unlucky, maybe you shouldn't be using a 9.3 for DG :ROFLMAO:

No disparagement intended on game dept officials - their expertise is wildlife and conservation, rather than ballistics knowledge.

While I'm certainly not encouraging anyone to intentionally flout the minimum calibre/energy rules, this is unlikely to be an issue that any of us ever encounters.

Interesting observation - a 375 with a 300gr bullet launching at 2450f/s doesn't make the minimum energy requirement. Nor a 404J (or 450/400) launching a 400gr at 2100...

Lekker Hennie, enjoyed reading your article then and again now!

That's the million dollar question! Same issue in Zim around a 9.3 apparently.

I'd put good money on not a single game department in an African country having a functional chrony and knowing how to use it. And I'd put an elephant trophy fee on none of them having a clue how to calculate the muzzle energy even if they did correctly measure the MV. And they'd need to know the bullet weight. Which they'd need to take your word for - or dismantle a round and have a calibrated reloading scale. A working chrony, reloading scale and physics knowledge all in the one place that you're going hunting?? If you're that unlucky, maybe you shouldn't be using a 9.3 for DG :ROFLMAO:

No disparagement intended on game dept officials - their expertise is wildlife and conservation, rather than ballistics knowledge.

While I'm certainly not encouraging anyone to intentionally flout the minimum calibre/energy rules, this is unlikely to be an issue that any of us ever encounters.

Interesting observation - a 375 with a 300gr bullet launching at 2450f/s doesn't make the minimum energy requirement. Nor a 404J (or 450/400) launching a 400gr at 2100...

Yup. My factory federal 300 TSX 375s only went 2450. My hand loaded 9.3 286 north forks go 2505 - 2515

Hi everyone.

This July marks a year since our unbelievable hunt in Namibia's Caprivi region with Ndumo Hunting Safari’s.

Its strange how quickly time flies, it feels like it was just yesterday. This hunt was most certainly the pinnacle of my hunting career, something I dreamed about for many years. Ndumo Hunting Safari’s really did alot of effort to ensure we enjoyed the experience and our stay with their wonderful accommodation, staff and excellent food.

A South African Magazine recently asked me to write an article about the hunt.

I would like to share the experience with you all.

Article:

View attachment 478947
View attachment 478948
View attachment 478949View attachment 478950

Video:

Kind regards.

Hennie.
Thank you for allowing us to go on your hunt with you.
Really enjoyed it.

You are an excellent author, and your passion for the hunt is palpable. Well done. A Caprivi Buffalo hunt has long been my dream.......they are a bit costlier than some other buff hunts, but your report makes me want to save up the silver and call NDUMO ......thanks for posting, and a fine old buff.......FWB

A dream location to hunt anything! I have read stories all my life (a pretty long time now in my fourth quarter of a century!) about the Caprivi Strip. I may still make it there! Who knows?
Thanks for sharing both written and videoed adventure!

Hi Baxter,

They probably will not ever know if your 9.3 is legal. Like Karl explained to me, questions might get asked if a caliber is used that traditionally doesn't reach the requirements and a buffalo for example is wounded and never found. Better to be safe than sorry and I also wanted to prove a point that the 9.3 can still be used legally on dangerous game.

You are an excellent author, and your passion for the hunt is palpable. Well done. A Caprivi Buffalo hunt has long been my dream.......they are a bit costlier than some other buff hunts, but your report makes me want to save up the silver and call NDUMO ......thanks for posting, and a fine old buff.......FWB
Much appreciate your kind words Bill. The Caprivi with Ndumo is unbelievable, you wont be sorry if you decide to ever book a hunt with them.

A dream location to hunt anything! I have read stories all my life (a pretty long time now in my fourth quarter of a century!) about the Caprivi Strip. I may still make it there! Who knows?
Thanks for sharing both written and videoed adventure!
Glad you enjoyed it. Hope you get a chance to go!

Great video and story! One thing I noticed in the video was the new Kasane airport terminal. When I passed thru there in in 2015, it was through the old terminal and the new one was under construction. The new terminal is much larger and looks great.

Great job by @ndumo HUNTING SAFARIS too!
I was there in Kasane, while I was a student, during a vacation back in Oct 1986. We went for Tiger and Briem fishing in the Chobe river, but remember we didn't catch much due to our incorrect fishing line. I think the tiger fish snapped it off most of the time. Irresponsible students as we were back then, we even swam in the Chobe river! I only heard later that somebody was taken by crocodiles a few weeks later at the spot where we swam.... I can not remember any airport there in 1986...just remembering the hotel and the camping spot where we were...surrounded by elephants many times at night when we were sleeping. I still have pictures of elephants walking through the camping spot while we were sitting in front of our tent. There were only a few people in Kasane back then and we felt that area must be the closest you could get to Paradise here on earth. It is 36 years later now and I still dream about the place....only this time I dream about hunting cape buffalo there with my 338 WM with 300 grain Woodleigh bullets....maybe I should get in touch with Ndumo Safaris too.

Much appreciate your kind words Bill. The Caprivi with Ndumo is unbelievable, you wont be sorry if you decide to ever book a hunt with them.
Thanks for sharing such a precious hunting event with us!

thank you very much to prove to a lot of deniers how good and efficient the old 9.3x62 is with a good bullet and of course the perfect placement.

do you know Oleof if they will let you hunt an elephant in the same aera of course with a different bullet?

thank you very much to prove to a lot of deniers how good and efficient the old 9.3x62 is with a good bullet and of course the perfect placement.

do you know Oleof if they will let you hunt an elephant in the same aera of course with a different bullet?
I have no doubt that the 9.3x62 can do the job with a good quality solid and well placed shot. I have done penetration tests with woodleigh hydros and was astounded how well the penetrate. I am however not sure if Karl will allow it on Elephant.

Technically, there is no actual minimum for elephant hunting in Namibia, not energy or caliber.
The 5400 Joule minimum refer to buffalo only. It is logical to imply the same minimum for elephant and rhino as for buffalo, so a 9.3 can work.
A 9.3 with a monolithic solid work well, as elephant is normally hunted even closer range and a perfect shot may be easier to line up for. I have hunted a few with my 9.3x64 and it worked perfect. Originally, I had .375 PMP Mono's of 286gr turned down to .366 caliber, (weight dropped to 270gr), but later I used 286gr FN North Forks. (The x64 is slightly faster than the x62, but I never chased top end velocities in my rifle, and loaded it much more like a x62.)

One of my favorite 9.3x62 photo's.

9.3x62elecharge.jpeg
9.3x62ele.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MajorBirds

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.