NAMIBIA: Namibia With Ndumo Hunting Safaris 2021

Treemantwo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I know there are many great PH’s and Safari operations in Africa, but wanted to “briefly” share my experiences with one in particular that I had the great fortune of hunting with in 2021....Karl Stumpfe of @ndumo HUNTING SAFARIS.
I hunted with Karl in March and again, November of this year, 2021, having by just returned yesterday, 12/2/21.
In March I hunted Gemsbok, Steenbok, Red Hartabeast, and Springbok in one area, then flew to his camps in the Caprivi to chase Cape Buffalo, Zebra, and Impala. Yes, I was successful on all of the above, taking mature animals anyone would be proud of.
The simple things first....
The food was outstanding, and you had better request 5 miles of stalking a day or lose 15 pounds prior to your trip. If not, you’ll be 20lbs heavier upon you your return.
The accommodations far exceeded what I am used to as a registered guide in Alaska. The screened reed bungalows together with piping hot water are a welcome pleasure at the end of a long hard day....and you are greeted by a comfortable bed as a bonus.
Staff ? The camp help is friendly and always in the “pleasing” mode...never missing a beat. Be sure to pack light as your laundry is done daily and is returned to you pressed and folded....something foreign to me as a bachelor.
I can’t say enough about the trackers/ skinners and crew that I was in the company of each day.
Though the plains game was taken by spot and stalk techniques, my buffalo were taken via the fine art of tracking. I’ll just say.....Re-mark-able !
My goal was an old bull at close range...with a double, and Karl managed the first volunteer at about 11 yards. The 2nd, a non-trophy bull, was at long range...20 yards.
I strive to provide hunts of a lifetime to my clients, but hunting with Ndumo Safaris really puts things in perspective in that regard, and I can tell you I learned A LOT from Karl and his staff.
Many thanks to Karl Stumfe, Divan Labuschagne, and office manager Colleen Collen. While Karl, Divan, and their staff are the most visible components at Ndumo, Colleen does the work of four to make sure no detail is omitted, and every issue addressed. She gets my vote for employee of the year !
So, I guess I could end my review, but that would only serve to shortchange you of the results of my 2nd trip to Namibia less than a month ago.
After a 3 month stint guiding in Alaska, I returned home to a WhattsApp message that would fulfill my lifelong dream...one that were it not for Karl, I would be hopelessly chasing. A leftover tag was available that would provide me with an opportunity....as that is all I asked for. I was going on a leopard hunt !
With less than 2 weeks in recovery from Alaska, I found myself in Namibia on November 12th.
Master Guide Wenzel Badenhorst met me in Windhoek and the barrage of questions ensued.
Despite having bombarded Wenzel with questions the week prior, he happily answered them all again upon my arrival. Excited ? No, I was jacked beyond all recognition !
Prior to us meeting I told Wenzel it was important to me to participate 100% in the leopard hunting process...from checking trail cameras to baiting....and the building of blinds. I set my goal high. I just wanted to experience an active cat on a bait...on camera. The rest would be a bit of luck and hard work rewarded by a bonus...an opportunity.
Some remarkable things occurred on this hunt with the stars aligning in response to my promises to God. Though I had allotted in excess of 14 days for this hunt, we had 3 baits out, each with mature leopards hitting them....in daylight hours !
On the 4th day of my hunt I was graced with an old battle scarred leopard of 70kgs.
I guess Wenzel wasn’t ready to see me depart so early because he scoured the earth and bore the 90 degree heat with me in tow for 7 more days to deliver US to a 55” Kudu. We still hunted our way to within spearing distance of 3 great kudu bulls that were reluctant to leave the protection of the shade. Is there more ?
Yes !
Karl missed me so much that he invited me up to the Caprivi in an attempt to fill a spotted hyena tag. I’ll describe it like this.....
Three men sit in a blind and start the calling sequence....all 3 hearts can be heard beating.
Darkness approaches, and with only 10 minutes left. PH raises his head...pupils enlarge...hunter’s heart races wildly after seeing PH’s pupils dislocate. With three minutes left, “spots” are howling all around us in a WTF moment beyond all imagination. One makes a mistake, and is silenced by a .338, resulting in a very large spotted hyena, and heart stopping experience.
I guess I could have been more conservative and written, but 3 paragraphs to review my hunts with Karl Stumpfe in the hopes that he NOT be booked solid for the next 3 years, but....
Give credit where it’s due....I had an amazing experience and am willing to take a chance that you’ll second guess my evaluation just long enough to leave another opening for me !
Thanks Karl....You’re of The Best !

001FC73E-5B05-40B6-AAE9-3EEB4FDA1905.jpeg
C2076F89-34DD-45BF-B53E-34C13137A76B.jpeg
F439A37E-DC09-4369-906A-1098129320AD.jpeg
E71CA14D-9FE9-4D01-8248-F7B0495371D7.jpeg
35991EA6-5734-4AC9-905C-7F651B3C2F8D.jpeg
AF95D240-F2BB-4350-8166-82B338BDBE1D.jpeg
30B5AE9C-46BF-4C42-91C4-125832F5D955.jpeg
D1C71346-BCD3-4CEC-9FA9-35695E144CE3.jpeg
347787EB-82B5-45C2-BC91-C973B428F203.jpeg
1A2D25F5-3B35-4AFF-9453-088A49FD05A4.jpeg
3DE4D05D-A188-484F-9C3B-6423C10967F5.jpeg
A3EB92BF-B01D-4656-99A5-74EDAF8A5210.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on some great hunts.

Those guys are top notch. My family and I have hunted with them twice. We were there this past May and had an unbelievable trip. Will definitely be hunting with Karl and Divan in the future. You were also correct in your statement about Colleen. She really makes things happen. I could not imagine having to keep up with all that goes into obtaining everyone’s permits.

Congrats for a great hunt !

Congratulations, well done. Thanks

great hunt.

Looks and sounds like you had great hunts. Your success on leopard was fortuitous.
I love Namibia and hope to get back there sometime.

Great hunt, I really like that old buf with the deteriorating horns. Classic.

Congratz! you have had a couple of amazing hunts. We did our first Namibian safari this year and will go back.

What a trip of a lifetime times 2! Congratulations.

Thanks for the write up. You had a great time!

I know there are many great PH’s and Safari operations in Africa, but wanted to “briefly” share my experiences with one in particular that I had the great fortune of hunting with in 2021....Karl Stumpfe of @ndumo HUNTING SAFARIS.
I hunted with Karl in March and again, November of this year, 2021, having by just returned yesterday, 12/2/21.
In March I hunted Gemsbok, Steenbok, Red Hartabeast, and Springbok in one area, then flew to his camps in the Caprivi to chase Cape Buffalo, Zebra, and Impala. Yes, I was successful on all of the above, taking mature animals anyone would be proud of.
The simple things first....
The food was outstanding, and you had better request 5 miles of stalking a day or lose 15 pounds prior to your trip. If not, you’ll be 20lbs heavier upon you your return.
The accommodations far exceeded what I am used to as a registered guide in Alaska. The screened reed bungalows together with piping hot water are a welcome pleasure at the end of a long hard day....and you are greeted by a comfortable bed as a bonus.
Staff ? The camp help is friendly and always in the “pleasing” mode...never missing a beat. Be sure to pack light as your laundry is done daily and is returned to you pressed and folded....something foreign to me as a bachelor.
I can’t say enough about the trackers/ skinners and crew that I was in the company of each day.
Though the plains game was taken by spot and stalk techniques, my buffalo were taken via the fine art of tracking. I’ll just say.....Re-mark-able !
My goal was an old bull at close range...with a double, and Karl managed the first volunteer at about 11 yards. The 2nd, a non-trophy bull, was at long range...20 yards.
I strive to provide hunts of a lifetime to my clients, but hunting with Ndumo Safaris really puts things in perspective in that regard, and I can tell you I learned A LOT from Karl and his staff.
Many thanks to Karl Stumfe, Divan Labuschagne, and office manager Colleen Collen. While Karl, Divan, and their staff are the most visible components at Ndumo, Colleen does the work of four to make sure no detail is omitted, and every issue addressed. She gets my vote for employee of the year !
So, I guess I could end my review, but that would only serve to shortchange you of the results of my 2nd trip to Namibia less than a month ago.
After a 3 month stint guiding in Alaska, I returned home to a WhattsApp message that would fulfill my lifelong dream...one that were it not for Karl, I would be hopelessly chasing. A leftover tag was available that would provide me with an opportunity....as that is all I asked for. I was going on a leopard hunt !
With less than 2 weeks in recovery from Alaska, I found myself in Namibia on November 12th.
Master Guide Wenzel Badenhorst met me in Windhoek and the barrage of questions ensued.
Despite having bombarded Wenzel with questions the week prior, he happily answered them all again upon my arrival. Excited ? No, I was jacked beyond all recognition !
Prior to us meeting I told Wenzel it was important to me to participate 100% in the leopard hunting process...from checking trail cameras to baiting....and the building of blinds. I set my goal high. I just wanted to experience an active cat on a bait...on camera. The rest would be a bit of luck and hard work rewarded by a bonus...an opportunity.
Some remarkable things occurred on this hunt with the stars aligning in response to my promises to God. Though I had allotted in excess of 14 days for this hunt, we had 3 baits out, each with mature leopards hitting them....in daylight hours !
On the 4th day of my hunt I was graced with an old battle scarred leopard of 70kgs.
I guess Wenzel wasn’t ready to see me depart so early because he scoured the earth and bore the 90 degree heat with me in tow for 7 more days to deliver US to a 55” Kudu. We still hunted our way to within spearing distance of 3 great kudu bulls that were reluctant to leave the protection of the shade. Is there more ?
Yes !
Karl missed me so much that he invited me up to the Caprivi in an attempt to fill a spotted hyena tag. I’ll describe it like this.....
Three men sit in a blind and start the calling sequence....all 3 hearts can be heard beating.
Darkness approaches, and with only 10 minutes left. PH raises his head...pupils enlarge...hunter’s heart races wildly after seeing PH’s pupils dislocate. With three minutes left, “spots” are howling all around us in a WTF moment beyond all imagination. One makes a mistake, and is silenced by a .338, resulting in a very large spotted hyena, and heart stopping experience.
I guess I could have been more conservative and written, but 3 paragraphs to review my hunts with Karl Stumpfe in the hopes that he NOT be booked solid for the next 3 years, but....
Give credit where it’s due....I had an amazing experience and am willing to take a chance that you’ll second guess my evaluation just long enough to leave another opening for me !
Thanks Karl....You’re of The Best !

View attachment 439959View attachment 439960View attachment 439962View attachment 439963View attachment 439964View attachment 439965View attachment 439966View attachment 439968View attachment 439969View attachment 439970View attachment 439971View attachment 439974
Fantastic hunts. What a year of hunting!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

@Treemantwo thanks for the reports! Looks like you had an excellent time in Namibia hunting with @ndumo HUNTING SAFARIS. It seems like you hear nothing but great reports about Karl and his crew. I have had the pleasure of meeting and talking with Karl and Fred at DSC and HSC and hope to do a Caprivi buffalo hunt with them one day.

Derek so glad that you got your leopard, and all those other critters are icing on the cake! I'm jealous of that steenbok!! Lol. You had a amazing hunt as I did hunting with you this year in Alaska!!!! Excellent hunter and Guide!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg