NAMIBIA: My Hunt With Frontier Safaris (Barry Burchell Property)

I got the Hartmann zebra, in my avatar, a nice kudu, a nice blue wildebeest, and a nice gemsbok

We were told 12 animas, that didn't happen, I did the best of 5 hunters

That's my report, and I stand by everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim said he's gonna chime in, wait for his report

Did you meet the owner? Did he take you hunting at all?

Look for the next report from Tim. It will be a good read

And another part, I'm not blaming frontier safaris, but when our trophies come back, my hartebeest had no ears, dads monster wildebeest had half an ear gone, and his steenbuck had no lip line

I'm sure Dennis could of makes it work, but my local guy, could nt

Day 5, this was the day I'll never forget. At breakfast, the camp manager tells us there is a problem, Barry burchell never got our hunting licenses. And we were told the group in the south camp,( the hunters there) were put in jail. Because they didn't have licenses either. So the staff took our trophies we had already, from the salt, and hid them in the bush. We were then told we were there on photo safari. They were worried the Namibian police were coming to our camp. So, that day, which was suppose to be hunting, we drove around the property, as tourists! No guns, no hunting. Lost a day of hunting.
As you can imagine, we were all worried,( locked up abroad the tv show)
Of such are nightmares made. The safari from hell !

We were told 12 animals, that didn't happen, I did the best of 5 hunters

You got four animals out of a promised/contracted 12 each, and you did the best?

:A Blowup:

Gary Strasser, crook, plain and simple. Everyone needs to avoid him.

wow- what a story. Good to know- that's an outfit to stay away from!

I am kinda surprised that the outfitter hasn't joined (or had someone join) in an effort to respond to this thread. Shows me that they really don't care about poor customer satisfaction, and/or are hiding from a bad hunt they are ultimately responsible for. Either way it's unacceptable.

I am kinda surprised that the outfitter hasn't joined (or had someone join) in an effort to respond to this thread. Shows me that they really don't care about poor customer satisfaction, and/or are hiding from a bad hunt they are ultimately responsible for. Either way it's unacceptable.
If I was an outfitter and did this, I'd run for the hills and never show my face again!

Guys, I am the other hunter that was with Brandon on this hunt, first hunt in Africa for both of us. There are a couple of things that I would like to add first of all there was only one licensed PH in this camp and that was the guy that was guiding Brandon and I think that he just gotten his PH license, the camp manager Theo was not a PH. I had email correspondence with Frontier Safaris before the trip and was assured that each hunter would have a PH but a guess their definition of a PH was not the same as mine. The guy that I had for a guide was a pretty good guy but since he was from the south camp and he was only a guide it left much to be desired. We were supposed to be hunting 12 animals and I came back with 5 although a couple of them were good trophies. This was going to be a spot and stalk hunt which is the way I prefer to hunt and I did not shoot one animal that way, my blue wildebeast and my first gemsbok were shot while we were hunting on foot but only because we happened into them not because we were executing a stalk. We tried tracking zebra almost every day and I did not see a zebra until day 7 when we happened to spot 2 from the vehicle and I make a great shot to get mine. The whole thing with us not having licenses happened at the end of day 4 when we were heading into camp at dark and all of a sudden the radios in the hunting vehicles started going crazy, I was not sure what was happening because of the language barrier but when we reached camp I found out that the two guys at the south camp had been arrested when the conservation people stopped to make a check and found that we did not have the proper licenses so they hid all of our trophies somewhere in the bush and we could not hunt the next day while someone drove to Windhoek to obtain the licenses. I later ran into the same two guys at he airport in Joberg and they were happy as clams because Barry had flown then to his ranch in South Africa and given then taken like 10 animals each including some things like Nyala that were not available in Namibia when I asked them about being arrested they were a little coy and let me know that they had an agreement with Barry to not talk about that. Since Barry claims that if you are not satisfied he will give you a free hunt I started sending emails letting him know that I was not satisfied and after about 2 months of doing that I got a response from his office manager saying that if I booked a hunt at his ranch in south Africa he would give me some free animals - a far cry from a free hunt! The trophy shipping was another problem, we were told that our trophies would ship from an exporter in Windhoek and after about 6 months passed with no word on shipping I started sending emails asking what was happening, it took quite some time to get a response but then I was told that Barry was going to have to go to Namibia and pick them up and bring them back to South Africa for shipping. Apparently he had a falling out with the shipping company in Windhoek (I think he wasn't paying them) so they brought everything back to South Africa to do the dip and pack and then shipped to us, it ended up being a full year before we got them here! That is another thing Barry claims in his adds that he has the best trophy shipping! Another thing regarding my ph/guide on the last day of the hunt we were concentrating on trying to find a suitable Kudu so we headed out to the far end of the property to look for Kudu this gut was obviously just trying to finish out the hunt so he spent the whole day just driving me around and most of time when I looked he was on his cell phone!

If I was an outfitter and did this, I'd run for the hills and never show my face again!

This might help explain why you will not find these guys in the hills!

Antisocial Personality Disorder:
(as indicated by three (or more) of the following:)

1.Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful
behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest.

2. Deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases,or conning others for personal profit or pleasure.

3.Impulsivity or failure to plan ahead.

5.Reckless disregard for safety of self or others.

6. Consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations.

7. Lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing.

............. we could not hunt the next day while someone drove to Windhoek to obtain the licenses.

.................... The trophy shipping was another problem, we were told that our trophies would ship from an exporter in Windhoek and after about 6 months passed with no word on shipping I started sending emails asking what was happening, it took quite some time to get a response but then I was told that Barry was going to have to go to Namibia and pick them up and bring them back to South Africa for shipping. Apparently he had a falling out with the shipping company in Windhoek (I think he wasn't paying them) so they brought everything back to South Africa to do the dip and pack and then shipped to us, it ended up being a full year before we got them here!

Did you ever see your license?
I'd love to see the export paperwork from Namibia.
PH register? hmmm.

Just scary.

We did see our license after they retrieved them from Windhoek and the paperwork was in order for the export, Brandon's PH had to measure all the animals and fill out everyone's license since he was the only licensed PH in the camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SavannahDo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg