NAMIBIA: KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS

In 18 days I will be embarking on my first safari to Namibia with Immenhof Safaris, and will be taking the same flight as you did. Did they seat people every/other on the plane? I am just trying to figure out my personal logistics! I am 6/5 280lbs (ding!) and the last trip there I was pretty scrunched in the seats. I flew SAA that time, so Ethiopian Airlines is a new venture for myself. I have not flown since all this stuff started a year ago, so curious what kind of stuff needs to happen. I am assuming that I need to get a C1-9'er test a week before I depart and then I am hoping that my outfitter can hook me up with something in Windhoek. Do you have any suggestions that you can share? Just trying to streamline this the best that I can. I did decide to rent a rifle when I am there to avoid any issues with timing. Did you need to grab your bags in Ethiopia and re-check to Windhoek? Didn't know if once you heck them in DC the next time you will see them in Windhoek. Also, was there a decent movie selection to watch while in flight?
Sorry for all the questions. Just want to get all my ducks in a row before departing.

So they require you wear a mask but the airlines are back to packing folks in like cattle.
Namibia required a negative Covid test with in 7 days before arrival but there was a lot of confusion because a lot of the airlines want them 72 hours before departure. Coming back into the states it has to be within 72 hours.
I took the safe route and called “The Covid Consultants”. They hooked me up with a self test kit and emailed my results to me the night before I flew out. It’s a nasal swab and really easy to do on yourself.
Coming back in there is a little test place there in Windhoek, it takes about an hour and the email your results back to you that evening if you pay for the 12hr test. It’s a mouth swab. I just picked my results up on the way to the airport that next morning.
Yes you will have to go to the police office in the Airport in Ethiopia both ways and have them check your rifles and ammo with your paperwork. You need to know how many rounds of ammo you have going and coming. They were waiting on us with our names on a board on our way through. Coming back we had to hunt down someone to take us and get our rifles checked. Make sure it happens or your guns won’t be there when you get home or to the destination. It’s no big deal and don’t freak out. They are going to take you under the airport way in the back, it’s seems pretty shady but it’s not and they were super nice and friendly.

So we woke up the next morning and it was off to the airport. I don’t drink much anymore and between the drinks the previous night combined with seafood I wasn’t feeling so great, Carrie and Corey went on to the airport and I got myself sorted out and met them there.
the line was pretty long but we had plenty of time to burn so it was fine. We got to the gate just in time to have some Wendy’s and board the plane. The first half of the flight went pretty quick for me. We landed in Ethiopia and a nice young lady was holding a sign with our names. She made copies of our firearms paperwork and we then went on a jaunt across the airport. Then underneath the airport into the baggage handling area. I was worried about missing our connection and she told me not to worry and they wouldn’t leave without us. Waaay underneath the airport we came to a little room. I have to admit I was a bit nervous as this didn’t seem very legit, but then I am a suspicious person. Sure enough it was the police office and the fella there looked at all the paperwork. It seemed obvious that he had no clue what he was looking at but made a production of looking “official”. We had to pull our guns out and read the serial numbers off to him. Once he was satisfied we repacked everything and we followed the lady back outside to a shuttle where she walked us through security and everything and ensured us our guns and bags would make it in the plane. Shortly there after we were airborne again. This was a 5 hour flight but it felt like 25 hours. My tailbone was so sore from the hard seats I could barely sit.
I tried to sleep but I rarely can on an airplane. About 10 years later we were on final for Windhoek.
Once we landed we de boarded the plane via some stairs on the tarmac. I don’t know why but I love doing this and Africa is the only place I’ve been in all my travels that regularly does it this way. I guess there is something nostalgic about it. Really the customs process in Namibia is super easy and smooth. We had to collect our bags at the police office where the Sgt. (Seems like everyone in the Namibian airport sports Sgt’s stripes). It took no time and our temporary rifle permits were issued. Issac had met us at the gate and he lead us to the Cruiser. At this point I am wanting to kiss the ground. It had been almost 6 years since I had been to Africa and to say I was happy to be there is very much an understatement.
we loaded up and we’re on our way. We had barely left the airport and saw some baboons messing around on the side of the road. View attachment 399643View attachment 399644View attachment 399645

The airport is just a ways outside of Windhoek so we had the opportunity to drive through the city. Windhoek is a very happy place and I was impressed, it was nothing like Jo-burg. I had the feeling that one could pretty much walk around Windhoek without the fear of getting robbed or worse. Everyone in Namibia seemed very warm and friendly. I’m sure Windhoek has its fair share of problems but it’s pretty obvious it nothing like Jo-burg.
After about and hour or so we pulled into the gate at Philip’s ranch. Finally, we are here!!!!
The plan was to enjoy some bush TV and get a nice meal and some rest. Hunting would start the next morning and for the time being we were to relax and enjoy the fire and the company, including the various varieties of 4 legged kind. View attachment 399646View attachment 399647View attachment 399648View attachment 399649View attachment 399650View attachment 399651
@gizmo
That's the thing that struck us when we left the air port, sound like we went the other way to your.we headed to the edge of the Kalahari region.
The amount of baboons and warthog we saw just after the airport was amazing. Had us really hyped up for the hunt ahead.
Bob

Erik,

Just got the chance to set down and read your report. Excellent job!!!

Congratulations on all the great animals. I enjoy arid places. The Hochland is a special place.

I noticed a couple of Ridgeback's in a photo. Does Philip use them for tracking wounded animals or are they just farm dogs?

Erik,

Just got the chance to set down and read your report. Excellent job!!!

Congratulations on all the great animals. I enjoy arid places. The Hochland is a special place.

I noticed a couple of Ridgeback's in a photo. Does Philip use them for tracking wounded animals or are they just farm dogs?
He has 2 ridgebacks and a Bavarian Blood Hound (think giant wiener dog). The older Ridgeback Voodoo used to hunt but the hound female is just a farm dog. The Hound apparently tracks some.

They are really sweet dogs and a lot of fun. I’m a dog guy though. There are also two really cute kitties running around. Of course I love cats also so we got along well.

@
We wake up at 3 from our nap and muster up in the dining room for some snacks. Pretty soon we are back in the bakkie and headed toward the next adventure. Philip’s place spans from the low lands all the way up to the peaks of the 6500 ft Khomas Highland Mountain Range. It’s a total of 420,000 free ranging paradise. The only fences are basic African style slick wire 3’ cattle fences for rotational grazing. There is a standard high fence around the lodge that’s about 800 acres but it’s not for hunting just for game viewing in the evenings. The other 419,200 acres is real wild Africa. There is one ever present big 5 member lurking about and in impressive numbers, that being the leopard. Additionally brown hyena, cheetah, and jackal round out the main predators. Carrie and Corey saw and got a quick video of a leopard while out hunting and every creek bottom has a ton of leopard tracks.
We were headed up to the base of the mountains this afternoon to see what we could find. After driving around 45 minutes through the ranch roads we saw a huge troop of baboons climbing all over some rocks. Baboons are very weary and freaking smart. I had been bested by baboons last time in Africa and I was determined to get one this go round. The bakkie came to a stop and the baboons started to yell, alerting everything within a jillion miles of our presence, and scatter. As everyone started to glass and figure out if a shot or stalk would be possible I snuck out the back to off load a half a gallon of water I had drank. I’m standing there watering an acacia bush and just happen to look up and to the left ( we were kind of sitting in a bowl surrounded by the start of the lower elevations of mountains) and a big male baboon scampers up and sits on top of a fence post about 250 yards above me watching me pee.
I immediately get excited and holler for my gun, the sticks, and Philip. He looks at me a bit strange considering what I happened to be in the middle of and I’m pointing up hill. Philip says it’s a big male and calls for the sticks and rifle. I don’t even have time to stow my package as he’s about to bolt and I hammer him right in the chest. I was so excited I didn’t realize I was still swinging in the breeze, if you catch my drift, nor did I care that I had just pee’d all over my shoes. Mel and Vincent are giggling and quite amused at the whole situation and I am just tickled pink as I just got my baboon.
Its probably silly to most but I have always wanted a baboon and I was beside myself over it.
We climbed up the hill and there he lay, my baboon. A huge male with massive teeth. These are Chacma baboons and I was shocked at how big they actually are. I bet he weighed at least 60 lbs and would almost be as tall as I am if he was to stand straight up. (Yes I realize that’s not saying much for all you smart asses out there. For those that don’t know me I’m pretty short at 5’6)View attachment 399853View attachment 399854
Gizmo
I can see it now a little two legged baby elephant running across the paddock. Lucky it wasn't trumpeting at the time, that would have been worrisome.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha .
Bob

There were two animals that I really really wanted this trip and the main reason for my choice with Philip. I am an absolute Wildebeest fanatic! I love them and they just scream Africa to me. I mean who doesn't think of wildebeest roaming the savanna's of Africa. They are the apex of the African image IMHO. Philip has not only free ranging native Blues but they stocked black wildebeest in the 60's and there are huge free ranging herds of them as well. While technically not native to Namibia you'd be hard pressed to find huge herds of free ranging black wildebeest anywhere else in the world other than Philip's place. So basically he had me at wildebeest.
Most people dream of finishing out the Big 5 or Dangerous 7, perhaps the spiral horn slam, or maybe hunting the famous places that are ingrained in Africanna legend. While I most certainly dream of the same, my real passion lies in the Wildebeest slam. Real Wildebeest that is, there are 5 true wildebeest to be exact. Common Blue, Black, White Bearded, Nyassa, and Crookson's wildebeest. I was fortunate enough to take a white bearded gnu many years ago and blue and black were my motivating factor for this trip.
Yes the King's and Golden Wildebeest are beautiful but I do not consider them "real" wildebeest. I have absolutely nothing against them and think they are stunning but I still do not consider them true wildebeest as they are color variants of common gnu's that have been bread to look a certain way. Again, not knocking them and if I ever finish my true wildebeest slam I would definitely consider taking them.
Anyway, we pull up to a huge valley and start glassing for critters. We sit for a few minutes and miles away I see a lone blue wildebeest bull grazing in some thick bush. I point it out to Philip and we start driving that direction to try and cut down some distance. He was way on the horizon and by now its later in the evening. We get about 3/4 of the way to where I saw him and start running into wildebeest everywhere. We literally hit the wildebeest lottery and I am vibrating with excitement. I'm out of the bakkie before it even stops and ready to go. We gather our gear and start stalking. Every time we would head in one direction we'd see wildebeest. Hendrick is in the lead followed by Philip, myself, Mel, and Vincent. As we sneak quietly through the brush we run smack into a group of big bachelor Blue wildebeest bulls. They, at this point, are maybe 70 yards in front of us. We ease forward creeping slowly. There are unaware of our presence, and very carefully continue onward. From my vantage point I can see parts here and there and I'd guess there were around 6 of them. Slowly we move forward taking each step silently and deliberately. Easy, Easy, we move. At about 30 yards I can see a fantastic Blue bull in the lead grazing. He is in amongst acacia and waist high grass feeding. A big tree is between us and him. We shift right and set up the sticks.
I get my rifle settled in, I always walk with my scope turned down as low as possible so I have a great field of view as the bull moves to clear the bush. Any moment he's going to clear and I can feel my heart somewhere up around my throat. As he continues his head finally clears, I click the safety off. My finger eases onto the trigger and I wait for my shot. He takes a step forward and lifts his head and pegs us. I know he's about to bolt and I settle the cross hairs on his neck. I squeeze the trigger and Wham! He falls in his tracks to the shot. I reload and run forward. I've had many animals that I thought to be spine shot get up and haul ass so there is no way Im letting this dude get away. I get up on him and he's kicking so I drive a bullet through his shoulder and into his lungs.
It's done, he's down. Now the adrenaline hits and my knees are knocking. What a hunt and stalk that was, very reminessant of hunting cape buffalo. I was absolutely giddy. As he lay there I approach slowly and tap him on the eye. He barely blinks and its just a short matter of time before he expires. I stood there marveling in the beauty of the moment and the magnificence of this old bull. I thank God for this moment and for the gift I had been given. As he dies the usual sadness comes with the passing of one of God's creatures.
Once he is finished I finally kneel down and place my hand his neck. He's gorgeous. I can feel his soul transfer to me. There has long been a legend that when a hunter takes an animal his soul transfers to the hunter. I believe this is true provided you give the animal the due respect it deserves. In that moment if you close your eyes and lay your hand upon the animal you can feel the transfer. It very may well be a silly superstition and one can feel anything he believes to be true but, even so I believe it and in that quiet moment can feel it. Call me crazy, I don't care. As a result of this I have always been big on allowing the hunter, whether it be me or one of my clients, to be the first to touch an animal. I will not allow any of my guides to touch an animal before the client and have always politely made it a point to request that it be so when I am the client. It is a truly beautiful thing.
I unloaded my rifle and set it down, we spent some time admiring the beautiful bull and set him up for pictures. It was the perfect ending to a perfect day in Africa. I couldn't think of anywhere else I wanted to be at that moment.
The first hunting day came to an end with 3 animals in the salt. Wow what a day! View attachment 399861View attachment 399862View attachment 399863View attachment 399864
@gizmo
You are a fine hunter that is truly respectful of the animal hunted . I have the same feelings.
Beautiful blue gnu w ith stunning banding and good horns.
I don't love the wildebeest.
Bob.

Oh I am very glad you shared. You are correct it is interesting how we share similar traditions. You are not derailing my post at all and I'm very interest to learn of your culture. I enjoy learning and taking part in traditions of cultures I visit. I try to make a point to do this everywhere I go.
@gizmo
So many people visit places and do all the tourist stuff and never see the true country, people and culture. If you want to know about a place talking with the locals is the way to grow.
Bob

We get to the spot where he had originally fell. I figured he had maybe gotten up and ran a few yards before he fell again. Well I was wrong. He was no where to be found. It wasn't long before Hendrick was on the track and off we set. The blood trail was really good so I felt pretty confident at first. I thought surely he couldn't have gone far but as the feet turned to yards and yards turned to miles it was pretty obvious all was not well.
Hendrick stayed on the track and was able to keep on him even when the blood stopped. How in the hell he could figure out where he went over rocks with no tracks or blood I have no idea. I've been amazed at the trackers abilities before but the skill of Hendrick beat everything I've ever seen. He is without a doubt the most talented tracker and hunter I've ever had the honor to share the field with. I got to know him pretty well during our time there and will speak more in the future but I feel it necessary to try and articulate just how good he is.
The wildebeest had rejoined the herd and they were in high gear. I was pretty nervous at this point and I certainly didn't want the animal suffering needlessly and or to loose him. We stayed on it for many foot sore miles until finally Hendrick locks up the breaks. There they were and my bulls was undoubtedly with them. He stood there around 300 yards again pouring blood out of above his shoulder. I had manage to hit just on the very top of the shoulder but just beneath the spine. The impact of the 180 grain Barnes TTSX must have stunned him causing him to fall but he was able to get up and shake it off. There he stood broadside again milling about as if nothing was wrong despite blood pouring out of the wound. The toughness of African game never ceases to amaze me.
This time I'm not messing about, I get on the sticks and settle in for a heart and lung shot. As the trigger breaks I hear the un-mistakable sound of a bullet strike and he falls dead as a hammer right in his tracks. I reload just in case he gets back up but we was done. The herd vacates the area in a big hurry again and we go up to recover him. Every emotion in the world hit me all at once. I was angry with myself over the first shot, excited, relieved, saddened, exhausted, and happy all at once. That my friends was a hellava hunt and extremely intense. After I was able to touch him we discussed the entire event and Vincent really got a good feel for the range of emotions that can be involved in a hunt.
Philip called for the Bakkie and I visited with everyone in between taking time to admire and spend time with my black wildebeest. I now had both wildebeest down and am 3/5ths of the way to accomplishing a major goal.
I couldnt have scripted a better hunt with all the ups and downs. My dream of hunting a legit free range black wildebeest was accomplished and I will forever be thankful to Philip for giving me that opportunity. As a matter of fact it certainly wouldnt be the last time I was able to accomplish bucket list moments thanks to Philip and his amazing slice of heaven.View attachment 399881View attachment 399882View attachment 399883
@gizmo
I wouldn't say you are short and fat,that would be just plain mean and not PC.
You are just vertically challenged in the height and weight ratio.
Unfortunately I didn't get my blue but I got my black on the last day. They are a beautiful animal in their ugliness. Short back ked and long front legs like a smaller giraffe, mane and face of a zebra and set of horns that could do some real damage.
When I got to mine I was surprised at how little they are laying down. The legs do give then an appearance of being bigger.
Bob

20191105_120356.jpg

They are magnificent

A grand Africa safari with exceptional trophies! Thanks so much for posting. Your writing made for an excellent escape!

@gizmo
That was on my wish list. Saw a few but never got the chance at one. The boys went out at night a coulpe of times at night with the caller and light at the gut pit and managed to get one. After a days hunting I was just to stuffed to be bothered.
In a previous post I said I don't like wildebeest but this is a typo with boofy hands. I find them a magnificent animal.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you