Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Congrats and thanks for sharing!

gesch

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sheboygan Rifle and Pistol Club NRA
Hunted
WI, WY, AL, TN, KY, Namibia (x2)
Thanks for the excellent response to my question! Super complete. I appreciate the information and the effort it took to provide it!

Powdermaker

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada , Namibia, South Africa, Germany.
Thank you for the post! It looks like you had a great adventure. I appreciate hearing what your spouse had to say, my wife and kids and I are going to Namibia this June.
Do you have any other tips of what to do/not do for one’s non hunter spouse?
Your welcome! I don't have much advice. I think that family dynamics are different for everyone. Also, it is a lot different traveling with young teenagers vs young adults. Patience is important. Having a PH who understands family dynamics is also important.
Perhaps focusing on trophy animals would be a mistake. Instead concentrate on having a good hunt. My son and I both missed shots on Springbok. Fortunately we didn't wound anything. My wife was giving us a bit of a hard time about it. I had to remind her that it is hunting, not shooting. No matter how much one practices, it is still possible to miss or wound an animal, but we were doing our very best. She didn't criticize us after that! I definitely felt more pressure with everyone watching you shoot. Get used to it. Thats part of the experience.

Powdermaker

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Thanks for the excellent response to my question! Super complete. I appreciate the information and the effort it took to provide it!
No problem. You're most welcome!

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
Congrats from a fellow Stubble-jumper!!! I really enjoyed your report, especially the great photos. My first safari in 2014 was also in Namibia, in the Omaruru area. Not too far from where you were hunting. My PH was from Outjo. I was fortunate to be there following some good rains and it was nice and green. However it was also during a pretty severe rabies outbreak in the Kudu herd. How is that situation now? If I am ever able to go on a third safari, I am very torn between returning to Namibia or the Eastern Cape of RSA. I really want both!

Powdermaker

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Congrats from a fellow Stubble-jumper!!! I really enjoyed your report, especially the great photos. My first safari in 2014 was also in Namibia, in the Omaruru area. Not too far from where you were hunting. My PH was from Outjo. I was fortunate to be there following some good rains and it was nice and green. However it was also during a pretty severe rabies outbreak in the Kudu herd. How is that situation now? If I am ever able to go on a third safari, I am very torn between returning to Namibia or the Eastern Cape of RSA. I really want both!
Ragman, Greetings and Thank You. I also hunted the Eastern Cape in 2013, so I share your dilemma!
To answer your question, I think the Kudu population, in the area we visited, is doing fine. We saw kudu nearly every time we went out and we did see some very fine bulls. Rabies is a cynical thing and may also be regional? Kind of like trying to hunt a trophy whitetail in Saskatchewan after a hard winter has killed off all the mature animals. It is going to be tough hunting.
One aspect I liked about NW Namibia, is the fact that you can bump into a large predator or elephants at any time. It made the hunting way more interesting in my opinion.

BTW If you are ever up in my area, look me up. I'll put the coffee pot on and we can compare notes.

flatwater bill

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
You got a lot of value for your hunt dollar....and your fotos are very nice.....thanks for posting and congrats..............................FWB

Powdermaker

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
You got a lot of value for your hunt dollar....and your fotos are very nice.....thanks for posting and congrats..............................FWB
Thank You. Yes, it was good value for the dollar spent. My wife really wants to go back with our whole family. So, you see my dilemma. For the same money, go on a buffalo hunt by myself or take the whole family and hunt plains game. I guess the buffalo hunt will have to wait a few years....

flatwater bill

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
An impala with your family will be better than a 42" buff solo..........FWB

MMAL

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
New Jersey, New York, Wyoming, Colorado, Mexico, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Northwest Territories, Newfoundland, Namibia
Thank you for the report. It brought back many fine memories. I took my family of six to the same area, different outfitter though. Congrats on a memory that you and in the family will remember for a long time.

Powdermaker

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Thank you for the report. It brought back many fine memories. I took my family of six to the same area, different outfitter though. Congrats on a memory that you and in the family will remember for a long time.
Your welcome! If my memory serves me right, I recall reading a hunting report of your trip a few years back....
These family trips get more difficult as they get to be young adults and lives of their own. You were wise to take your children when they are young.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadelaineR

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J