My second rifle choice

Yes Redleg that my goal, a general purpose rifle that I can use everywhere else specially N America and also for Plain games in Africa with ammo easily available and components for reloading. Question - Is this good enuff for a Kudu/Grizzly/Large moose?
yes

No one on this forum suggests the good old 7×57? I'm almost ashamed!!!!!

For me it would be a 375 HH specific a Kimber Talkeetna. Weather would be less of a problem available ammo the world over, legal everywhere for all game. Adequate energy ( use enough gun)Carry’s well and bullet range is from 235 to almost 400 gr.
What’s not to like?
And I have one but do have to support the above comments on the 340 it is always a question which one should I use? In all practically it doesn’t matter they both will get the job done as long as they meet rules and regs.

Last edited:
I'd go for a .300 Holland & Holland Magnum (although I fully concede that the .300 Winchester Magnum is a far more practical choice due to the wider availability of factory loaded ammunition).

My dream plains game rifle would be a pre '64 Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in .300 Holland & Holland Magnum. Perfect light companion to your .470 Nitro Express.

Currently, my battery is as follows-

Light Rifle: 7x57mm Mauser Churchill Gunmakers Model Deluxe
Heavy Rifle: .600 Nitro Express August Schuler Clamshell Action Ejector
Shotgun: 12 Gauge (3" Magnum) Beretta Model 626E
Personal Defense: .32 ACP Webley & Scott Model 1908

A good minimalistic battery, I should think...

For me it would be a 375 HH specific a Kimber Talkeetna. Weather would be less of a problem available ammo the world over, legal everywhere for all game. Adequate energy ( use enough gun)Carry’s well and bullet range is from 235 to almost 400 gr.
What’s not to like?
And I have one but do have to support the above comments on the 340 it is always a question which one should I use? In all practically it doesn’t matter they both will get the job done as long as they meet rules and regs.
Seeing as they are no longer in production and were one of the most sought after rifles ever made by Kimber, you will have an easier time locating a handful of hen's teeth. On the off chance one does hit the market, prices would be expected to match the current rules of supply and demand.

If you are looking for a general purpose caliber for the remainder of the world - pronghorn to ibex to plains game then a double of any sort is mildly ridiculous and almost anything heavier than a .300 is a liability. I would get a quality bolt action in .300 Win Mag (or its equivalent) and never look back.
Yes Redleg that my goal, a general purpose rifle that I can use everywhere else specially N America and also for Plain games in Africa. Question - Is this
Maybe not for grizzly, though many have been taken with a 200 gr bullet from a .300. I would feel better with a .338 or 9.3. However those or somewhat overkill for a pronghorn, whitetail or mule deer.
Thats what I thought, but wanted to be sure. I have my DB for these large predators.

Either a 375HH or a 300 Win Mag. because of the variety of Bullets available both calibers would be easy to tailor to your needs.
Im experimenting with loads on my Tikka and have been pleasantly surprised at how versatile the 300 Win Mag is, JMTC

If you look for a smaller double the 9.3x74 is a great choice. Ammo is availability is considerably more available than the 375 flanged. Like @Red Leg mentioned the 300 WM is hard to beat.

If you look for a smaller double the 9.3x74 is a great choice. Ammo is availability is considerably more available than the 375 flanged. Like @Red Leg mentioned the 300 WM is hard to beat.
Thank you, but already having a DB, I would like to give the bolt gun a shot...

Guys, I have narrowed down my choices to either a 300 Win Mag or a 375 H&H, mainly because of all of you have said in terms of versatility, ammo availability, reloading components readily available. In addition, the plethora of bullet options for both is very encouraging to know. (I admit I have no idea on the granular level of efficacies for different bullet categories.)Want to explore and find out :)
I'm also wondering if I should even still consider the 375 H&H , and just use my 470 where it is meant to be used. I'm no collector and plan to use my rifles as they are meant to be used i.e "hunting". I will hate to keep anyone as treat them as a safe queen or hope to pass them on to my heirs.
Your feedback is much appreciated, and also if you happen to come across any good 300 Win Mag please give me a shout. Cheers

An Alaskan guide told me the ammo most likely your will find in a gun store in Alaska would be a 30-06 and 375 H&H. He had a 375 Ruger which was light weight compared to a M-70. He did mention some feeding issues. Also, his was a stainless model which could be a consideration if much hunting is to be done in remote Alaska. Maybe someone will chime in on most common ammo found in Africa during normal times. I understand that a gun store will not be behind every bush where is exactly where you will need one if out of ammo.

Guys, I have narrowed down my choices to either a 300 Win Mag or a 375 H&H, mainly because of all of you have said in terms of versatility, ammo availability, reloading components readily available. In addition, the plethora of bullet options for both is very encouraging to know. (I admit I have no idea on the granular level of efficacies for different bullet categories.)Want to explore and find out :)
I'm also wondering if I should even still consider the 375 H&H , and just use my 470 where it is meant to be used. I'm no collector and plan to use my rifles as they are meant to be used i.e "hunting". I will hate to keep anyone as treat them as a safe queen or hope to pass them on to my heirs.
Your feedback is much appreciated, and also if you happen to come across any good 300 Win Mag please give me a shout. Cheers
In a perfect world...you should have both the 300WM and 375H&H...and I'd probably add a fast .25 caliber like the 257WBY for good measure.

Use the appropriate caliber for the appropriate game. Your 470NE has all the big dangerous stuff covered. 375H&H for Giraffe, Eland and even Buffalo. 300WM for Kudu, Oryx and others up to about 600#. Then the 257WBY for smaller antelope all the way down to varmints like Jackal and Baboon.

Also, I'm more than a bit biased. I currently have only one centerfire rifle caliber...375H&H. So if I were to say you only need one...

An Alaskan guide told me the ammo most likely your will find in a gun store in Alaska would be a 30-06 and 375 H&H. He had a 375 Ruger which was light weight compared to a M-70. He did mention some feeding issues. Also, his was a stainless model which could be a consideration if much hunting is to be done in remote Alaska. Maybe someone will chime in on most common ammo found in Africa during normal times. I understand that a gun store will not be behind every bush where is exactly where you will need one if out of ammo.
Understand, and that's not the expectation either. Need to be realistic, even in the great USA ammo is still difficult to find for my 470, I have enough now BTW.

In a perfect world...you should have both the 300WM and 375H&H...and I'd probably add a fast .25 caliber like the 257WBY for good measure.

Use the appropriate caliber for the appropriate game. Your 470NE has all the big dangerous stuff covered. 375H&H for Giraffe, Eland and even Buffalo. 300WM for Kudu, Oryx and others up to about 600#. Then the 257WBY for smaller antelope all the way down to varmints like Jackal and Baboon.

Also, I'm more than a bit biased. I currently have only one centerfire rifle caliber...375H&H. So if I were to say you only need one...
Very good comments Sir, as to

"In a perfect world...you should have both the 300WM and 375H&H...and I'd probably add a fast .25 caliber like the 257WBY for good measure."

You are spot on, maybe one at a time....in order of sequence 300 WM, 375 H&H and then a 257/275 WBY/Rigby. ....

Very good comments Sir, as to

"In a perfect world...you should have both the 300WM and 375H&H...and I'd probably add a fast .25 caliber like the 257WBY for good measure."

You are spot on, maybe one at a time....in order of sequence 300 WM, 375 H&H and then a 257/275 WBY/Rigby. ....
Just so you know...if you were to step into a Blaser R8 aluminum receiver and Professional stock (or a timber one if you are so inclined) with standard 300WM barrel, you would be set up for all the other calibers mentioned above. And don't forget there is a 22lr conversion kit as well. ;) Perfect for safari rifle practice at 1/10th the cost for ammo.

Just so you know...if you were to step into a Blaser R8 aluminum receiver and Professional stock (or a timber one if you are so inclined) with standard 300WM barrel, you would be set up for all the other calibers mentioned above. And don't forget there is a 22lr conversion kit as well. ;) Perfect for safari rifle practice at 1/10th the cost for ammo.
Don't quite follow, conversion kit to convert a 300 WM to a .22? Nah, in my mind these conversion kits don't work very well, IMHO.
Thanks for enlightening me though but I want to keep things stock.

:oops: !!!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie58Q

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!